3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pinless
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Early next year I am opening my own cafe/arcade. We have videos, crane machines, air hockey, basketballs, racers, shooters and pinballs. I've recently inherited a Metallica Premium, ACDC Premium and an Iron Maiden Premium. I also have a JJP GNR limited edition on order. I am hesitant to put it out for public use but probably will do so as a drawcard. I really only ordered it because I am a big GNR fan and I think the machine looks amazing. I've loved all things arcade all my life but am really loving pinballs at the moment and want to build up a big collection. I envisage my place being a magnet for pinheads and a place where I can run pinball tournaments. I'd love to have rows and rows of pinballs like the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame. I have the cranes and similar machines to appeal to families and young kids. The question I'm getting to is do pinball cafes/bars try to purchase the premium editions of pinballs to attract the diehard pinheads or would I be better off buying the base models of everything so I can buy more of them?

P.S. I own the location and am not relying on this being a huge profit maker. This is a hobby that hopefully brings in some income to put towards more machines.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Niggle1981:

do pinball cafes/bars try to purchase the premium editions of pinballs to attract the diehard pinheads or would I be better off buying the base models of everything so I can buy more of them?

Premium editions do not automatically attract more people.

The best tournaments have a wide variety of tables (EM, early solid-state, moderns) so players must be skilled on many types to do well. The tables should be well maintained in order to stand up to constant play for days on end.

As a high level tournament reference, Texas Pinball Festival used about 20 tables in 2019. Bat City Open about the same. Cactus Jacks has about 50.

#3 3 years ago

If you enjoy playing the LE / Premium models, thats fine, but don't expect them to earn much more at all. Casuals don't care for the most part. I'd mostly argue against putting those models on location because it is highly likely they will break more often. Iron Maiden Premium in particular can be very fussy with the lift ramp and the captive ball lock mech.

Only 4 games will be tough to draw regular league nights. If you want pinheads to keep coming over and over, it is best to rotate a new game in every 3 months or so.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Only 4 games will be tough to draw regular league nights. If you want pinheads to keep coming over and over, it is best to rotate a new game in every 3 months or so.

4 games is just my starting point. I plan on constantly buying more. I won't be doing any rotation unless something needs to be removed for a major repair. What is out and available will just slowly grow. My question is do the diehards and the tournament players demand a minimum trim level or will a diehard player be happy walking into a room of say 30 standard edition machines for example?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Niggle1981:

4 games is just my starting point. I plan on constantly buying more. I won't be doing any rotation unless something needs to be removed for a major repair. What is out and available will just slowly grow. My question is do the diehards and the tournament players demand a minimum trim level or will a diehard player be happy walking into a room of say 30 standard edition machines for example?

Yes absolutely. In general the diehard tournament players prefer the pro models anyway.

#6 3 years ago

Pro machines cost less, are cheaper to maintain, and earn roughly the same. From a pure business stand point, it's a no brainer. Pro's every time.

#7 3 years ago

It’s hard not to feel like a kid-in-candy-store when you go to those rare locations where they have LE’s lined up along the wall.

Even better when they’re all on free play!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-edition-machine-on-location and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.