(Topic ID: 42901)

Which early Solid State games still had chimes?

By practicalsteve

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eros1_045.JPG
eros1_050.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I know Mata Hari went from EM to solid state with chimes still in it, and so did Night Rider. What other solid state games have chimes?

Oh yeah, I also know Data Easts Time Machine does too for when you go back in time.

#2 11 years ago

Stern Stars

#3 11 years ago

joker poker, cleopatra and sinbad...

#4 11 years ago

I retrofitted chimes in my Incredible Hulk (easily reversible). One for each pop and one for the target reset bank.....people say it is 'charming'....

#5 11 years ago

Bobby Orr Power Play

#6 11 years ago

Eight Ball, still one of my favorite pins to play when I just want a quick game of pinball.

#7 11 years ago

I saw one today at the auction- Cleopatra.

#8 11 years ago

Bally Blackjack

#9 11 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I had a Mata Hari leave the house last weekend and I was talking to my friend about how it was right on the edge between EM and SS and how it still had chimes. I really like that about it. The Mata Hari was never mine, I fixed it up for a friend over the course of two years. Now I want a game with chimes in it. Thinking about the EM route too of course.

Quoted from lukex:

I retrofitted chimes in my Incredible Hulk (easily reversible). One for each pop and one for the target reset bank.....people say it is 'charming'....

That is really cool! How did you do that? Did you take the whole chime unit out of another game and just draw power for the chime solenoids from the things you wanted to have activate them?

#10 11 years ago

Bally "Evel Kneivel".

#11 11 years ago

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Joker Poker since there was both an EM and solid state version.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

That is really cool! How did you do that? Did you take the whole chime unit out of another game and just draw power for the chime solenoids from the things you wanted to have activate them?

Exactly. Just mounted the whole unit in the cab and ran jumpers from the coils on the existing pops and target bank.

I am sure there is something stupid about doing it, but it works really well.

#13 11 years ago

Williams Hot Tip and Lucky Seven.

#15 11 years ago

My Barracora has an option for chimes

#16 11 years ago

The first 8 electronic games Bally made use chimes. Freedom, Night Rider, Evel Knievel,
Eight Ball, Power Play, Mata Hari, Black Jack, Strikes and Spares.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I saw one today at the auction- Cleopatra.

Cleo was another one that came in both EM and SS. It was Gottlieb's first solid state machine.

viperrwk

#18 11 years ago

RawleyD, Is that in addition to the sounds on the machine and where did you see this info? I also have a Barracora that I'm doing a restore on and would like to add a chime unit if i had the info.
Thanks, Bob

4 months later
#19 10 years ago

add "eros one" the cocktail machine from fascination has a few chimes for sound and is ss

#20 10 years ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe Gottlieb's Genie also had both chime and electronic sounds during it's production life.

EDIT: It appears I was wrong. This is per PinWiki:

Cleopatra 11-1977 ~7300 A or 409 Chimes Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Cleopatra' and a 2-player EM 'Pyramid'

Sinbad 05-1978 12950 B Chimes Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Sinbad' and a 2-player EM 'Eye of the Tiger'

Joker Poker 08-1978 9280 C Chimes Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Joker Poker'

Close Encounters of the Third Kind 10-1978 9950 G Chime board Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'

Dragon 10-1978 6550 D Chime board Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Dragon'

Charlie's Angels 11-1978 7950 H Chime board Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Charlie's Angels'

Solar Ride 02-1979 8800 E Chime board Also produced as a 4-player EM 'Solar Ride'

Count-Down 05-1979 9899 F Chime board Also produced as a 2-player EM 'Space Walk'

Pinball Pool 08-1979 7200 I Chime board

Totem 10-1979 6643 J Sound board J-SND ROM

The Incredible Hulk 10-1979 6150 K Sound board K-SND ROM

Genie 11-1979 6800 L Sound board L-SND ROM

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Joker Poker since there was both an EM and solid state version.

Yes, our SS Joker Poker has a stock chime unit in it. Wouldn't want it any other way though.

#22 10 years ago

My Stern Memory Lane has chimes, plays the same tune as evel knievel

#23 10 years ago

All of Gottlieb's System 1 games having solid state sound boards can easily be retrofitted with a chime unit since the driver transistors are all there on the driver board. Furthermore, the sound board is found in the same position as the chime unit. Most any chime unit will work, just remember to add diodes to a chime unit if it formerly came from an EM game. I am restoring a Countdown and already have the chime unit replacement for the sound board. I find chimes more interesting than some of the early electronically generated sounds.

#24 10 years ago

Williams Aztec solid state prototype has chimes in it.
And mildly interesting, it also had a dummy EM score reel in the head, to give it the clack-clack of scoring.
http://www.racepainter.com/temp/aztec/index.htm

(some day I'll get this darn thing running)

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Williams Aztec solid state prototype has chimes in it.
And mildly interesting, it also had a dummy EM score reel in the head, to give it the clack-clack of scoring.
http://www.racepainter.com/temp/aztec/index.htm
(some day I'll get this darn thing running)

You have schematics for it already, I assume? I picked up an original set a while back that I've been considering selling. Never really had a use for them, just thought they were kinda neat to have.

-Hans

#26 10 years ago

Sinbad...

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

You have schematics for it already, I assume? I picked up an original set a while back that I've been considering selling. Never really had a use for them, just thought they were kinda neat to have.
-Hans

yes , I've got all the schematics & paperwork. just need the time and a scope that goes above 8mhz.

And back on topic ... Astro Black Sheep Squadron has the Bally-type 4 chime setup, and does an ok job playing The Halls of Montezuma .

#28 10 years ago

The World Cup I'm working on right now does, we'll at least the sounds not the physical chimes.

#29 10 years ago

Getaway (Allied Leisure, 1977)

#30 10 years ago

Pinball by stern has chimes. Plus it run the ball mpu 100 series boards.

#31 10 years ago

Here's a few I have,
Bobby Orr's Power Play
Sinbad
Strikes and Spares
Genie "converted to chimes"

#32 10 years ago

Although I noticed that it's already linked to the thread, nobody mentioned DE Time Machine(not an early SS)

1 month later
#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Just a guess, Stern Stingray?

Yes definitely Stingray! One of my favorite pins, very early SS from Stern. Great feeling when you rip that spinner and the chimes sing!

#34 10 years ago

Bally's Lost World has an option to switch to chimes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 179.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-early-solid-state-games-still-had-chimes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.