(Topic ID: 122213)

Which Do You Prefer? Shooter Rods or Button Firing?

By phillymadison

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mcc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pick your side. Shooter Rods or Button Firing.”

• Team Classic Shooter Rod! 117 votes
    88%
  • Team Push Button Fire! 3 votes
    2%
  • I Can't Decide I Love Them Both! 13 votes
    10%

(133 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

o-JON-STEWART-WEED-facebook.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Thought this might be a fun discussion. So I realized that my own personal collect is split 50/50 between games with classic shooter rods and games with push button firing.

I came to this realization after seeing so many cool custom shooter rods that I can't use on my push button ball firing machines. (Mario and WWFRR)

The shooter rod is a classic icon of pinball machines where the push button is more of a special novelty that most machines don't use but it does make it stand out from the rest.

With shooter rods you control the speed of the ball which usually ends up being a skill shot to where you used the right amount of power at the right time.

Most push button games the skill shot is usually made with the flippers hitting the ball somewhere. Whether its a target, ramp, ball through etc. Like hitting Yoshi in Mario. Or you end up picking a mode like in WWF Royal Rumble.

This is just some small examples but which do you prefer?

#2 4 years ago

I like shooter rods with thought out skill shots (unlike IM, Avatar, etc). TAF and Tommy have decent skill shots. The button is ok only if there's a video mode skill shot (like JP).

#3 4 years ago

I like variety. all of one thing sucks.

-c

#4 4 years ago

It depends on the game and how the skill shots are arranged. Both ball launching methods have good examples and bad examples.

However, sometimes a poorly maintained pin on locations can have a shooter rod that's so stiff that it barely is able to launch the ball. On the other hand, I've also seen auto-launchers unable to fire the ball up the shooter lane.

#5 4 years ago

I just love pinball machines

#6 4 years ago

Shooter rods. Without them there is one less challenge.

#7 4 years ago

I prefer shooter rods. But I like the gun on Shadow, that's not a downgrade. Pulling the trigger feels good, the skill shot still takes skill, and it doubles as a smartbomb for the video mode.

#8 4 years ago

Shooter rods all the way. The only way I like an auto plunger is if there is a toy attached to it like T2 gun, HS2 gear shifter, etc. I personally hate just the square button as the plunger.

#9 4 years ago

Poll please?

#10 4 years ago

A button is a copout. Worst part of MM.

#11 4 years ago

I prefer the shooter rods anyday...... make it more interesting

#12 4 years ago

Shooter rods. There's an element of skill there.

#13 4 years ago

Rods although buttons can have advantages.

JP - skillshot and smart missile
BF- Locking Modes

#14 4 years ago

Shooter rods. Guess I'm just old school.

#15 4 years ago

Shooter rod any day. Almost all the games that don't have them somehow feel diminished to me. Do like the Shadow gun though

#16 4 years ago

I prefer the feel, play, and flexibility of a shooter rod, but the weird thing is that at times I really want to play with a lower stance and my palms on the front of the cab instead of on the glass channel, and for that the shooter rod actually kind of gets in the way when compared to a launch button.

First world problems.

#17 4 years ago

Tough one for me. I love manual shooter rod on acdc, but love using the punch it button on ST. Guess I'm team both

#18 4 years ago

I only like flipping the switch in Frankenstein. All other methods are inferior.

#19 4 years ago

shooter rod all the way.

its classic and allows for a ton of versatility when beginning a game.

also the shooter rod is much more durable. and if auto launch is fucked up, you cant even start the game. auto launches are always breaking, constantly firing, miscounting balls etc, i genuinely don't even like them.

#20 4 years ago

Nobody is going to pick the fire button. Buttons are lame.

#21 4 years ago

Shooter rods......by a 1000%. It's part of the experience just as hitting the flipper buttons with timing is....its manual. There's nothing like a clean and smooth shooter rod set up properly.....just so much more control. I wish BSD had a shooter rod.

#22 4 years ago

Shooter rods it cool if they have a function.
But I got to say, the gun on STTNG, TS, T3 and so on, is awsome.
The round button is ugly and boring.
Would be great to have a stake to drive into BSD instead of the round
Button

Axl

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Tanner:

Shooter rods. There's an element of skill there.

not always, TOM for example has a shooter rod and there is no skill involved with the shooter rod itself that would be any different with a launch button

that being said, I agree shooter rods are better, but I like the gun on my GoldenEye

#24 4 years ago

I like the fire button on sttg. I like the option of choosing the mission, points, etc

#25 4 years ago

I'm glad I've got one game with a launch button,that martian bomb is a nice feature.

But,the mechanical plunge is where it's at.

#26 4 years ago

Pinball is all about a mechanical shooter rod. Add an auto launcher for getting multiballs in play, and you've got a perfect combination.

#28 4 years ago

Shooter Rods, it allows me to control the ball better would transform all button launch games into shooter rod games if I had a choice of course

#29 4 years ago

The gun on Indiana Jones was fun for about five minutes. Launching the ball with a manual plunger is a unique aspect of the game which you miss out on with a button, gun etc. Not to mention the cost and scarcity of parts if you have to repair or replace it.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

However, sometimes a poorly maintained pin on locations can have a shooter rod that's so stiff that it barely is able to launch the ball.

Just hit the end of the shooter rod with a open palm. You'll miss the skill shot but you'll get the ball into play.

#30 4 years ago

I like both. The shooting rod is classic and fun if there's a skill shot related to it. I also really like the games that have guns that fire the ball too. T2 retains it's skill shot while having a gun and I think that's very cool. My ST Pro has both. I use the shooting rod and fire button nearly 50/50, probably slightly favoring the shooting rod, so 55/45..?
-Don

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

However, sometimes a poorly maintained pin on locations can have a shooter rod that's so stiff that it barely is able to launch the ball.

At the OH show went to launch a ball on a Fireball, which requires a precise shooter rod launch, and the shaft was sticking. Looked down and saw a roll of paper towels so I grabbed one and cleaned the rod. Sometimes that's all the maintenance needed.

#32 4 years ago

This is easily the least controversial poll I have ever seen on Pinside.

#33 4 years ago

Shooter rods WITH autoplunger

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

This is easily the least controversial poll I have ever seen on Pinside.

Which do you prefer... on predator?

o-JON-STEWART-WEED-facebook.jpg
#35 4 years ago

Shooter rods no question. There are three things you can control, flippers, nudging, and shooter rods - why take one away? Games like Maverick have so much use with the shooter rods from the start of each ball picking a mode to start, super pops or locking a ball, very important in that game to hit what you need and NEVER miss, to unlocking 4 ball MB instead of 3, 2x and 3x jackpot values, to the super skill shot mini mode - all because of the shooter rod in that game.

The combo is the best (CV, new sterns), allows for virtual locks and instant MB's, but games need plungers. That is one thing I'm glad Stern hasn't cheaped out on yet.

#36 4 years ago

Shooter rods for me...then again I like pulling the handle on a slot machine instead of pushing the button on those too! Just feels like you are more involved.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Shooter rods WITH autoplunger

Yup. Why not have both? I love games that integrate an extra button/trigger into gameplay. I also like having a skill shot with soft plunges.

#38 4 years ago

TWD has a shooter rod and gives you the option of using the right flipper button to also launch a ball.

Best of both worlds.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

Which do you prefer... on predator?

o-JON-STEWART-WEED-facebook.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Told you you were a douche......lol....but man you got some good ones... ...............Joey

#40 4 years ago

I prefer the long rods... ..............Joey

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Told you you were a douche......lol....but man you got some good ones... ...............Joey

I think you're thinking of someone else in the dark side thread... I never have any good ones

#42 4 years ago

Isn't it great when enemies become best friends....Big Hug.....lol............Joey

#43 4 years ago

I like rods. All shapes and sizes.

#44 4 years ago

I like firing buttons with my shooter rod , does that count?

#45 4 years ago

get a GNR and you can have both

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Isn't it great when enemies become best friends....Big Hug.....lol............Joey

I don't think we've met, but I'm positive we played at a tournament together at pocketeer. I used to live in rochester

#47 4 years ago

I prefer shooter rods on Congo and fire buttons on Medieval Madness.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.70
$ 25.00
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Ogden, UT
$ 70.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
3,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Machine - For Sale
New Hartford, CT
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Six Mile, SC
Boards
PCB Emporium
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside