(Topic ID: 328413)

Which do you prefer, Modern Sterns or 90s Bally/Williams?

By oldbaby

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cookpins
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Modern Stern or 90s Bally/Williams?”

• I greatly prefer Modern Stern 54 votes
      17%
    • I slightly prefer Modern Stern 47 votes
      15%
    • I like them both exactly equally 44 votes
      14%
    • I slightly prefer 90s Bally/Williams 54 votes
      17%
    • I greatly prefer 90s Bally/Williams 112 votes
      36%

(311 votes)

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

My collection is heavy on B/W dot matrix games. I also have Nordman's EHoH LE and have his Galactic Tank Force deluxe on order. The design of those games reminds me of my old B/W games, but with original video shot for the modern LCD screen in each.

#52 1 year ago

I only own 90s B/W games and I will keep it that way, those games are simply pure fun with rules that anyone can learn.

I do play the modern games when I find them on location but I won't get them to my home collection. Personally I think many new games (and especially Sterns) feel like the same game but with different graphics.

#53 1 year ago

Both are freaking great. Modern Sterns are Amazing, System 11 and 90s Bally/Williams are Amazing. I've got a P3, 2 Sterns, and 2 Williams in my basement right now. I want to play all of them. I will say that Bally/Williams are better for casuals/visitors. Explain Whirlwind to a noob or explain Elvira. 2 Completely different animals. Modern Sterns want me to explore what's next and what's a little deeper in the code. Williams games want me to do just a little better to get that million plus just one more time to break the grand champion.

#54 1 year ago

I had shyed away from the new sterns until recently, always going with old favorites and rarely seen late 80s to late 90s games. With that said, I have played all the new sterns and while I don't love all of them, I don't dislike them like I thought I would. Godzilla was not something I cared about as a concept, a movie, any of that and GD that game is fun. JP I have a soft spot for so I expected to like it, and again, crap is that fun. Now Metallica and Rush I couldn't give 2 shits about, didn't enjoy either. Anyway, point being is I'm about this - - far from ordering or buying a JP and GZ premium to go with my older games because some of the newer games are FUN+. I played an "older" stern Grand Prix the other day and REALLY enjoyed it as well.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

So many B/W games just have that "IT" factor, though there are a few modern gems out there.

What I feel the “IT” factor is, is having clear rules. Everytime I play a WPC game, the wizard mode feels obtainable. Doesn’t mean I ever get it, but the possibility is always on the table.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-do-you-prefer-modern-sterns-or-90s-bally-williams/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.