(Topic ID: 259728)

Which Decade Had The Biggest Change In Pinball Machines?

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gdonovan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which decade saw the biggest improvement in pinball machines?”

• 1950s 1 vote
      3%
    • 1960s 0 votes
    • 1970s 7 votes
      23%
    • 1980s 14 votes
      47%
    • 1990s 7 votes
      23%
    • 2000s 1 vote
      3%
    • 2010s 0 votes

(30 votes)

#1 4 years ago

As I dive more and more into this hobby I can see some huge differences in quality and game play between pinball machines over time. I'm not talking about which was best for the business (pinball was almost dead in 2000), but which decade saw the most difference between pinball machines in the beginning of the year vs the end. The 1970s saw the birth of Solid state, the 1980s went from Seawitch to Whirlwind, The 1980s went from Alpha-numeric to DMD to Pinball 2000. The 2000s went from... well, I personally don't see much difference. The 2010s went from Iron Man to Pirates.

Which decade do you think saw the biggest change in pinball machines?

EDIT:

Okay... with the caveat of "after the advent of flippers". Flippers were a game changer you guys are right.

#2 4 years ago

It was the 1940s, but you didn't offer that as a choice. At the start of the 1940s, each ball-in-play essentially took one run from the top of the playfield to the bottom (or a final resting place in a hole), and the player could only nudge. Skill pinball and gambling pinball had very similar play. Then we got flippers, and players could interact with the ball a lot.
    .................David Marston

#3 4 years ago

It’s a really tough call but I picked the 70s. The move to solid state opened up a world of possibilities.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

It was the 1940s, but you didn't offer that as a choice. At the start of the 1940s, each ball-in-play essentially took one run from the top of the playfield to the bottom (or a final resting place in a hole), and the player could only nudge. Skill pinball and gambling pinball had very similar play. Then we got flippers, and players could interact with the ball a lot.

I gotta agree with this one. Flippers were kind of an important change...

#5 4 years ago

1980's would be it for me if we are talking about post flipper pinball, if not then the advent of flippers would be definitive.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I agree with you, but to be contrarian I will say the 30's. We went from not having pinball to having pinball .

#7 4 years ago

80's

While solid state debuted in the late 70's gameplay was not notably different than EM's that proceeded them. Indeed there were several titles that were both EM and SS releases like Night Rider, Charlies Angels, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Evel Knievel. While playing Bally Star Trek I often muse about making an EM powered version of the game.

The 80's brought on widespread use of ramps, subways, more complex objectives, advanced lighting, complex digital stereo sound and voice and alphanumeric displays.

I have Star Trek and Xenon sitting next to each other and the difference between the two is stark, it makes me wonder how much better Star Trek could have been.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

100% agree. We will say "since the invention of flippers" to make the question more adequate.

#9 4 years ago

Dmd’s added a new dimension of game play rules. The Lcd is just an evolution of the dmd.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Dmd’s added a new dimension of game play rules. The Lcd is just an evolution of the dmd.

Depends on the title I guess; we have X-Files and I hardly even look at the display during play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-decade-had-the-biggest-change-in-pinball-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.