(Topic ID: 125945)

Which ColorDMD(s) are highly recommended?

By frg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which ColorDMD(s) are highly recommended?”

• AC/DC 16 votes
    38%
  • Addams Family 12 votes
    29%
  • Attack from MArs 17 votes
    40%
  • Indiana Jones 17 votes
    40%
  • Lord of the Rings 17 votes
    40%
  • Medieval Madness 12 votes
    29%
  • Monster Bash 15 votes
    36%
  • Scared Stiff 13 votes
    31%
  • Star Trek TNG 14 votes
    33%

(Multiple choice - 42 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MET 2.jpg
MET.jpg
#1 8 years ago

ColorDMD and also SmartDMD are really cool upgrades for our machines... but since they are at 400$ / 450€, it is quite expensive to equip each pinball machine.

I have a ColorDMD in my AFM right from the start Randy was delivering his babys. I did not follow all of ColorDMDs activities, so I am surprised, that so many machines are supported right now and how fast new ROMs are coming up.

Most probably not all of them are on the same level of "quality". The term "quality" might not be the right one... What do I mean? For instance, Attack from Mars has not only the one of the best DMD animations (my point of view) in pinball history, the color fits really good to the overall look and the choice of color simply looks great. So quality is not only the given quality of the DMD animations as they are, but also the suitability to be colorized and finally the color implementation itself.

Too many thoughts about a simple question... "do you like it or not "
Okay... let's do a poll

Since the number of options is limited, there are not all ColorDMDs in the list.
I added multiple choices to the poll... my choices were at this time Attack from Mars and Scared Stiff. For some reasons I didn't like MM, TAF and STTNG too much. I haven't "judged" the others yet...

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Going by the thread topic headline only,I would say WH2O upscalled is my preferred out of the 3 I own.

I've got one in AFM and Totan and will definitely get one for TZ when the download is released regardless of cost and shipping.

#5 8 years ago

I have ColorDMDs in TAF, Creature, MB, MM, SS, and STLE (Sigma mode) and saw most of the other titles at TPF.

I think Addams is the weakest of the bunch, but even the "worst" ColorDMD title is better than the original plasma display.

#6 8 years ago

Dredd and WH20 look great upscaled. Dredd beats WH20 probably because it feels right having color from the comics.

I would think the newer machines benefit the most (TSPP, LOTR and Metallica) though.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

I would think the newer machines benefit the most (TSPP, LOTR and Metallica) though.

I have them in AC/DC, Creature, Whitewater and TSPP. I think TSPP makes the biggest difference with AC/DC a close 2nd.

#8 8 years ago

They all look great. But some stand out more than others, either because they were just really nicely colored, or because the game just has great animations that work well in color.

Indiana Jones for instance, is one the the best looking ones they've done. Just a beautiful coloring job.

ACDC, LOTR, and in a couple days Metallica, are all great because the more modern games have a lot going on in their dots.

Monster Bash and Scared Stiff are really nice too.

#9 8 years ago

I've tried it in

AFM, FT, Tom, and STTNG

Fish Tales was the best really, just awesome. So many colorful animations that just look better.

STTNG was the worst. I don't know...just didn't add much.
AFM and TOM were both cool.
I also played one recently on Doctor Who, that was great as well.

I still have all of those games but TOM, and I kept the color DMD in AFM as that's the "top title."

By the way...the upscaling thing is absolutely atrocious. I hate it. It just does not look good at all and while it's nice they gave it as a free option I don't see why anybody would take it.

It screws up the designer's intentions, it doesn't look good, and reeks of "trying too hard." It reminds me of those "digital score reel" stickers that operators tried sticking on EM games to trick people into thinking old EMs were high tech digitals. Not fooling anybody.

Keep it with the dots, looks way better.

#11 8 years ago

As many as you can afford. These are great for any and all titles.

#12 8 years ago

I am partial to JD but I honestly think that Indiana Jones is the best one to date. It is just stunning in person.

#13 8 years ago

The two best versions I have seen by far are JM and TSPP. Close runners up are LOTR, ACDC, and AFM. I have also seen all the ones on the poll as well plus WH20. I loved the JM and TSPP.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

By the way...the upscaling thing is absolutely atrocious. I hate it. It just does not look good at all and while it's nice they gave it as a free option I don't see why anybody would take it.

You obviously haven't seen a TSPP up-scaled then. It's like the TSPP was always meant to have a color DMD that is up-scaled. Works perfectly with cartoons.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've tried it in
AFM, FT, Tom, and STTNG
Fish Tales was the best really, just awesome. So many colorful animations that just look better.
STTNG was the worst. I don't know...just didn't add much.
AFM and TOM were both cool.
I also played one recently on Doctor Who, that was great as well.
I still have all of those games but TOM, and I kept the color DMD in AFM as that's the "top title."
It screws up the designer's intentions, it doesn't look good, and reeks of "trying too hard." It reminds me of those "digital score reel" stickers that operators tried sticking on EM games to trick people into thinking old EMs were high tech digitals. Not fooling anybody.
Keep it with the dots, looks way better.

I have a different feeling on this. I just recently updated the ROM for my AFM and LOTR colorDMD's to the upscaling version. I have mixed feelings. Anything with numbers or letters looks pretty strange. Not to my liking. BUT, any animations with action in them I am seeing much more details than I've ever seen before. Like, I'm seeing things I didn't know existed on games I've played 1000's of times! So I like the upscaling for that reason.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

As many as you can afford. These are great for any and all titles.

Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a winner.

They are all great so far. I have 12 installed and expect more soon.

Games like TOTAN were already great looking games, but the ColorDMD is the cherry. LOTR begged for it and I was not disappointed, AC/DC blew me away . . . none are bad. An orange DMD game sitting next to these looks just wrong now.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You obviously haven't seen a TSPP up-scaled then. It's like the TSPP was always meant to have a color DMD that is up-scaled. Works perfectly with cartoons.

Agreed.

I only have ONE (so far....) and tried in both the ACDC and TSPP.

It's insanely awesome in both, but TSPP is where it got permanently installed- i cant imagine the game now with out it!

#18 8 years ago

I have ColorDMD in TAF, WH2O, FT, and TSPP. They are all great but I would consider TSPP the best.

#19 8 years ago

I like the scan option... puts a bit more depth into the upscaling. Dots are always cool too. I just swap back & forth every so often to keep it fresh.

I'm very happy with how Creature looks, would never consider going back to a stock DMD. Can't wait for MET on Friday! IJ looks nice too, I was finally able to complete a few video modes.

Never played a LOTR with color but the video looks sweet.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They all look great. But some stand out more than others, either because they were just really nicely colored, or because the game just has great animations that work well in color...

That's it

Maybe I am going to buy another 2-3 ColorDMDs (or another pinball machine ). LOTR seems to be a "must have"... and MM shares at this time the "last place" with TAF. A little bit like my initial thoughts were.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I like the scan option... puts a bit more depth into the upscaling. Dots are always cool too. I just swap back & forth every so often to keep it fresh.
I'm very happy with how Creature looks, would never consider going back to a stock DMD. Can't wait for MET on Friday! IJ looks nice too, I was finally able to complete a few video modes.
Never played a LOTR with color but the video looks sweet.

No need to wait till Friday now, ROM has been released ahead of schedule!

#22 8 years ago
#23 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

No need to wait till Friday now, ROM has been released ahead of schedule!

Yep, I saw that when I checked this morning.

MET.jpgMET.jpg MET 2.jpgMET 2.jpg
#24 8 years ago

Interesting that many of you are listing WH20 as a favorite. I have been a little on the fence about buying this for my WH20 mainly because of price vs benefit.. To me, it seems that the game play is so fast and intense that I find I miss most of the animations on the display because I am watching my play so closely.

But I think I am going to pull the trigger based on several of you listing it as the best example Color DMD has produced.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Interesting that many of you are listing WH20 as a favorite. I have been a little on the fence about buying this for my WH20 mainly because of price vs benefit.. To me, it seems that the game play is so fast and intense that I find I miss most of the animations on the display because I am watching my play so closely.
But I think I am going to pull the trigger based on several of you listing it as the best example Color DMD has produced.

WH2O looks awesome in color, there are a lot of subtle animations with the water that really come to life. Great example of the animators making things that the orange basically hid, but were there all along.

#26 8 years ago

Wh20 animations are really cleared up in color...noticing stuff for the first time.

1 week later
#27 8 years ago

Need to add Metallica to the poll. Of the 3 I have(Met, LOTR, AFM) colorDMD in, Metallica is by far the best! You need to play the Sparky CIU mode just to see the animations. They are awesome!

#28 8 years ago

Only have one - LOTR. Absolutely love it - worth every penny.

Had a difficult time looking at basic DMDs at the Allentown show.

Color FTFW!

#29 8 years ago

I'm going to echo every person that recommended TSPP. I've always been hesitant to buy a ColorDMD because of the price. I recently purchased my first one, however, to install in the TSPP that I am picking up tomorrow. The upscaled color animations just look so amazingly good on that game.

#30 8 years ago

If your funds are limited, why not buy a number that you're comfortable with, then play with them in your machines to decide which ones you like best? They're really quite easy to move around between games.

#31 8 years ago

I installed my 1st color DMD last weekend. I've been very hesitant to do it because I'm a little old school. After I installed it in my MM I realized these are really, really bad for me on 2 accounts. 1st and worst problem, now I need then for all of my machines and have a bunch. 2nd problem, I've spent too much time watching it during game play and my scores have reflected that. But.... I love em and should have started to buy them sooner. The wow factor was MUCH greater that I ever realized, they're awesome

1 month later
#32 8 years ago

Just installed the WH20 and so far I am very happy with it. I too am old school and that is why I prefers the 'dots' to the up scaled. Just seems like the right choice based on what the design team came up with in 1992. Overall love the water effects.

#33 8 years ago

IJ and Metallica are my favorites. Also have them in STTNG, AFM and LOTR...all recommended.

#34 8 years ago

I have or had AFM, MM, STTNG and LOTR. All look good to me.

As much as I enjoy JM, not sure I will add $400 to that title.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

16,500 (OBO)
$ 1,419.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

12,500 (OBO)
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-colordmds-are-highly-recommended and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.