(Topic ID: 254021)

Which Color DMD is best for LOTR? LED or LCD?

By AvidPinPlayer

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by NorCalRealtor
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191010_200058 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Looking at purchasing a color DMD for my LOTR. I understand the difference between the LED and LCD color DMD, but would like to hear from owners that have actually installed one or the other.

#2 4 months ago

It is a personal preference. LCD for me.

#3 4 months ago

I agree. I had an LCD colordmd on my lotr. Very nice and there are more adjustment options.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is a personal preference. LCD for me.

#4 4 months ago

lcd

#5 4 months ago

LCD.. More display options

#6 4 months ago

I do all LED and not because of price....... The fit and finish is factory and I am partial to dots,

#8 4 months ago

Lcd always

#9 4 months ago

Having experimented with both in the same machines for comparison I find that in live movie animations the LCD is better because of it's range of adjustments. You can just make it look better. For "cartoon" type animations, the LED is better because of the higher contrast and more vivid colors. You can really bring out all of the depth of detail and subtle color gradients using the LED display here. A great example is TWD. I tried both and the difference was astounding with the LED.

#10 4 months ago

LCD for me, set to DotsXL, unless the games doesn't allow for it, then it's LED.

#11 4 months ago

I always get LCD. I really like jumbo dots on most games. For LOTR I actually like TILE the most.

#12 4 months ago

Thanks to every one -- LCD it is!

#13 4 months ago

Just remember... LCD tends to get much dimmer when viewed at an angle.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Just remember... LCD tends to get much dimmer when viewed at an angle.

It's also dimmer than the LED when normally viewed straight on from the player's perspective.

#15 4 months ago

LCD for me. My third Stern install with this. I have yet to go LED. Happy with LCD options but just use to it by now.

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Having experimented with both in the same machines for comparison I find that in live movie animations the LCD is better because of it's range of adjustments. You can just make it look better. For "cartoon" type animations, the LED is better because of the higher contrast and more vivid colors. You can really bring out all of the depth of detail and subtle color gradients using the LED display here. A great example is TWD. I tried both and the difference was astounding with the LED.

That's by far above and beyond solid advice right there. Words of wisdom!

#17 4 months ago

Dont get how so many prefer lcd. LED is far superior imo. Much better color, contrast, brightness, blacks. Colors are saturated and true. Reds not washed out to near pink. On top of that better fit and cheaper. Couldnt care less about hi res, etc. It's a dmd. Suposed to be dots.

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

That's by far above and beyond solid advice right there. Words of wisdom!

Yea that sounds about right. Keep in mind off axis viewing, brightness, and install are all much better on the LED, however on LOTR the old wood style headbox, install isnt as bad, on the metal headbox, LED is much cleaner

#19 4 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Dont get how so many prefer lcd. LED is far superior imo. Much better color, contrast, brightness, blacks. Colors are saturated and true. Reds not washed out to near pink. On top of that better fit and cheaper. Couldnt care less about hi res, etc. It's a dmd. Suposed to be dots.

The LED version looks bad to me. I have one in my CV because it's the only thing that fits. If I could get an LCD in there I would. The LEDs looks way too harsh to my eyes and the spaces between the LEDs look massive. I know the screens are supposed to be dots, so I run the LCD in DotsXL mode. Problem solved.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The LED version looks bad to me. I have one in my CV because it's the only thing that fits. If I could get an LCD in there I would. The LEDs looks way too harsh to my eyes and the spaces between the LEDs look massive. I know the screens are supposed to be dots, so I run the LCD in DotsXL mode. Problem solved.

Same here. LCD is dimmer but that's not a bad thing. I just think LCD looks more natural like it belongs. Dots are a non issue because that's just one of many view options available on LCD. Only thing I don't like about the LCD is the bigger size. Always nice to have options so we all win.

#21 4 months ago

Classic games, I prefer LCD. Newer games, especially with animated video, I prefer LED.

#22 4 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I'm with you.

I have both types in my games. LED is brighter with more vibrant colors. Not a fan of the washed out colors or smoothing options of the LCD.

If you have LED and LCD next to each other, the LCD looks worse to me.

#23 4 months ago

No playfield glare from LCD

#24 4 months ago

Couple LED displays of mine. Different strokes. Glad we have both options.

20191010_200058 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 39.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside