(Topic ID: 249197)

Which clearcoat works best for spot acrylic touch up?

By Barakawins1

9 days ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).JPG
    shopping (resized).png

#1 9 days ago

Does anyone have good experience with a clear coat used to touch up some acrylic paint touch up? I've used brush on varathane but it smears over certain black
    touch up. Anyone have a good experience with another brush on touch up? This is just for acrylic touch up at inserts, not the entire playfield.

#3 7 days ago

I never received a response to this question so I experimented. I found that semi-gloss Triple Thick Water Based Varathane Polyeurethane works flawlessly over acrylic paints. It self levels when brushed on and one coat application acts as three. Hope that helps someone.

#4 7 days ago

Just a caution.. Use Water based Varathane "only". Otherwise yellowing will occur if oil based.

#5 7 days ago

I would also be interested in this.

#6 7 days ago

Yup, water based poly works. If you're doing a small wear spot like kickout wear or ball drop, this works. I also recommend putting a piece of mylar in that spot, because it just going to keep getting hit.

shopping (resized).png
    #7 6 days ago

This stuff is great for chipped inserts, spot clears etc.

Capture (resized).JPG
    #8 6 days ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

This stuff is great for chipped inserts, spot clears etc.

Where do you get this product?

#9 6 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I saw it available on amazon

#10 6 days ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Yup, water based poly works. If you're doing a small wear spot like kickout wear or ball drop, this works. I also recommend putting a piece of mylar in that spot, because it just going to keep getting hit.[quoted image]

I used this same Minwax recently on a touch up for a chip on the playfield and it worked very well.

#11 5 days ago

I've used the Minwax on several projects and I would think it's to soft for a PF but, if it works for you than go with it!

#12 5 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I've used the Minwax on several projects and I would think it's to soft for a PF but, if it works for you than go with it!

It hardens up...it just takes months, especially if you use it in a big blob. Thin layers of it dry faster I've learned...I use it to fill inserts in my restos.

#13 5 days ago

I have used createx 4030 balancing clear for small touchups to keep things from getting worse until I do a restore. Has been very good to me.

#14 5 days ago

I have also used 2 part auto clear over the 4030 when I did the restore without issues of the 2 mixing. I know you can add 4030 to acrylic for a stable mix wothout a top layer but have not tried that.

#15 5 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Comes in various sizes. Word of caution, only use what you need in a separate jar and after transferring it make sure to put saran wrap in the original can before sealing the lid. If you dont, the lid can fuse shut.

#16 4 days ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

Comes in various sizes. Word of caution, only use what you need in a separate jar and after transferring it make sure to put saran wrap in the original can before sealing the lid. If you dont, the lid can fuse shut.

Thx it's good to know

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 299.00
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 36.99
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside