(Topic ID: 249197)

Which clearcoat works best for spot acrylic touch up?

By Barakawins1

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
    shopping (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Does anyone have good experience with a clear coat used to touch up some acrylic paint touch up? I've used brush on varathane but it smears over certain black
    touch up. Anyone have a good experience with another brush on touch up? This is just for acrylic touch up at inserts, not the entire playfield.

#3 4 years ago

I never received a response to this question so I experimented. I found that semi-gloss Triple Thick Water Based Varathane Polyeurethane works flawlessly over acrylic paints. It self levels when brushed on and one coat application acts as three. Hope that helps someone.

#4 4 years ago

Just a caution.. Use Water based Varathane "only". Otherwise yellowing will occur if oil based.

#6 4 years ago

Yup, water based poly works. If you're doing a small wear spot like kickout wear or ball drop, this works. I also recommend putting a piece of mylar in that spot, because it just going to keep getting hit.

shopping (resized).pngshopping (resized).png
    #7 4 years ago

This stuff is great for chipped inserts, spot clears etc.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
    #8 4 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

This stuff is great for chipped inserts, spot clears etc.

Where do you get this product?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I saw it available on amazon

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Yup, water based poly works. If you're doing a small wear spot like kickout wear or ball drop, this works. I also recommend putting a piece of mylar in that spot, because it just going to keep getting hit.[quoted image]

I used this same Minwax recently on a touch up for a chip on the playfield and it worked very well.

#11 4 years ago

I've used the Minwax on several projects and I would think it's to soft for a PF but, if it works for you than go with it!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I've used the Minwax on several projects and I would think it's to soft for a PF but, if it works for you than go with it!

It hardens up...it just takes months, especially if you use it in a big blob. Thin layers of it dry faster I've learned...I use it to fill inserts in my restos.

#13 4 years ago

I have used createx 4030 balancing clear for small touchups to keep things from getting worse until I do a restore. Has been very good to me.

#14 4 years ago

I have also used 2 part auto clear over the 4030 when I did the restore without issues of the 2 mixing. I know you can add 4030 to acrylic for a stable mix wothout a top layer but have not tried that.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Comes in various sizes. Word of caution, only use what you need in a separate jar and after transferring it make sure to put saran wrap in the original can before sealing the lid. If you dont, the lid can fuse shut.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

Comes in various sizes. Word of caution, only use what you need in a separate jar and after transferring it make sure to put saran wrap in the original can before sealing the lid. If you dont, the lid can fuse shut.

Thx it's good to know

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-clearcoat-works-best-for-spot-acrylic-touch-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.