(Topic ID: 283049)

Which classic Stern is the fastest one ?

By Pinasco

5 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by terrapinmark
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Classic Stern pins in tech area (resized).JPG
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 9.41.13 AM (resized).png
    PXL_20201011_144547536 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 4.30.30 PM (resized).png

#1 5 months ago

Thankful for any hints from the experienced classic Stern crowd:

Which one from the classics ( 1977-84) is the fastest - that requires speedy reflexes the most and help keeping ball times short ?

Judging from videos I get the impression that Catacomb and Nineball are among the speedier titles- as well as balanced in scoring.

What is your experience/opinon here ?

#2 5 months ago

I wouldn't say catacomb is balanced...

Dragonfist can be quite fast, it's probably the most brutal of the later Sterns

#3 5 months ago

I have these 4 and they all can get pretty fast!

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 4.30.30 PM (resized).png
    #4 5 months ago

The center loop on Lightning will test your reflexes, but I don't think it gets the prize for shortest ball times just because you can try to keep the ball in the upper pf as much as possible.

#5 5 months ago

Quicksilver with that 3 drop target in the lower center. DF has the same thing, but QS is right in your face.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Quicksilver with that 3 drop target in the lower center. DF has the same thing, but QS is right in your face.

It’s a four drop, but if all the classic Sterns that I’ve played it’s the most brutal, short ball time pin.

#7 5 months ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

I have these 4 and they all can get pretty fast!
    [quoted image]

Magic is just disgusting how brutal the SDTMs are. One of the most enraging early Sterns.

My Seawitch is in a 6.5 degree angle and that thing is a monster. After waxing it’s just insane.
    Nine Ball is a great game, very deceiving with the open playfield.

Shortest Ball Times? That would go to Orbitor 1, so short that they have to give you a minimum game time so your game doesn’t end too quickly!

#8 5 months ago

My 1st thought was Seawitch

#9 5 months ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

It’s a four drop, but if all the classic Sterns that I’ve played it’s the most brutal, short ball time pin.

Thanks for the correction. I should know that after owning it for years.

#10 5 months ago

My Galaxy plays very fast. I'm thankful for the upper left arch, great place to put a ball and take a breath. I've owned Wild Fyre, Flight 2K, Magic, Pinball, and Galaxy. All great games, and I'd welcome any of them back, but Galaxy is definitely the fastest of that lot.

#11 5 months ago

Thanks for a lot of good input. I added Galaxy and Seawitch to the wantlist .

terrapinmark : That line-up...... Sir- your taste is impeccable.

#12 5 months ago

Yes,Galaxy is fast, but,I think my Meteor is faster!!!

#13 5 months ago

Of the 4 I have, ball times from shortest to longest

Cheetah
    Galaxy
    Meteor
    Star Gazer

PXL_20201011_144547536 (resized).jpg
    #14 5 months ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Of the 4 I have, ball times from shortest to longest
    Cheetah
    Galaxy
    Meteor
    Star Gazer
    [quoted image]

Great Lineup. Didn't know you had a Pink Panther. Fun game.

#15 5 months ago
    Quoted from Pinasco:

terrapinmark : That line-up...... Sir- your taste is impeccable.

Thank you so much! I have had just about all of the classic sterns at one time or another. These 4 are permanent. I have had Lightning, Big Game, Split Second, Seawitch, Trident, Free Fall, Lectranamo, Meteor. The one game that I do NOT see mention that can play very fast and mean is Stern Ali.

I also have a few classic Ballys. The two toughest and fastest games in my collection are Quicksilver and Frontier.

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 9.41.13 AM (resized).png
    #16 5 months ago

I would say meteor can have some of the shorter ball times and can play fast when set up right. Especially if you remove the center post. In my experience Galaxy can have insanely long ball times. I used to work on rolling the score twice as once was too easy. I could never have that one in tournaments at the arcade.

#17 5 months ago

I own F2k, Ali, Big Game, Quicksilver, Seawitch, Nineball, Stars, Stingray and Star Gazer.

Sold Magic, Galaxy, Cheetah, Freefall, Iron Maiden

Out of all the Sterns I have owned above, QUICKSILVER is the fastest as it's namesake portends!

Classic Stern pins in tech area (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #18 5 months ago
    Quoted from drypaint:

I would say meteor can have some of the shorter ball times and can play fast when set up right. Especially if you remove the center post. In my experience Galaxy can have insanely long ball times. I used to work on rolling the score twice as once was too easy. I could never have that one in tournaments at the arcade.

I rolled my Galaxy the first day I had it, flirted with rolling it twice one time since. I've also had plenty of games where I don't break 200K...It's a long term keeper for me, for sure.

#19 5 months ago

For fastest I'd probably say Seawitch.

#20 5 months ago

Dragonfist for pure speed

#21 5 months ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I own F2k, Ali, Big Game, Quicksilver, Seawitch, Nineball, Stars, Stingray and Star Gazer.
    Sold Magic, Galaxy, Cheetah, Freefall, Iron Maiden
    Out of all the Sterns I have owned above, QUICKSILVER is the fastest as it's namesake portends!
    [quoted image]

Nice lineup!

I played some QS for a bit this weekend - damn that's a fast game. Easily my favorite game of all time - it's beautiful and deadly at the same time. When you light the spinners and rip them on the first flip, nothing better than it.

#22 5 months ago

nine ball or quicksilver. meteor is no slouch.

#23 5 months ago

Mine, of course... But mine is all I know.
    It comes back at yah in a big hurry.
    Get the tone to go critical twice over and hold on for more!

#24 5 months ago

Meteor
    Seawitch
    Nineball

#25 5 months ago

Thank you so much! I have had just about all of the classic sterns at one time or another. These 4 are permanent. I have had Lightning, Big Game, Split Second, Seawitch, Trident, Free Fall, Lectranamo, Meteor. The one game that I do NOT see mention that can play very fast and mean is Stern Ali.
    I also have a few classic Ballys. The two toughest and fastest games in my collection are Quicksilver and Frontier.
    [quoted image]

I had a restored Frontier with CC playfield. Silly how fast it was.

#26 5 months ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I had a restored Frontier with CC playfield. Silly how fast it was.

I played your Frontier at TPF. That was a really nice restoration job.

#27 5 months ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

It was a beauty, it went to NY and then has now come back to Nashville and is at Game Galaxy. It was really just no fun to play with the clear coated playfield.

#28 4 months ago

Serious question. Why does it matter?

Also, since when do you have to post pictures of the Stern machines you own to answer a classic Stern question? 2nd question is rhetorical.

#29 4 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Serious question.
    Also, since when do you have to post pictures of the Stern machines you own to answer a classic Stern question?

My guess? Because people are proud of their machines. Also, there are a lot of people in this hobby that have never played these games and seeing a playfield layout may provide an understanding of why they play fast. Games like Quicksilver are pretty rare.

#30 4 months ago

Owning most of them at one point in my collecting career I would say Dragonfist can be brutal, Quicksilver. My Catacomb can also bring some serious reflex challenges after some liquor For the most part any classic stern that is restored and brought back to life correctly should be furious, fast and fun....

#31 4 months ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I think your thinking of mine TPF / Cleared Frontier....

#32 4 months ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I think your thinking of mine TPF / Cleared Frontier....

The one that I played was in Keith Holbrook's booth along with a Flash Gordon. I did play your Dragonfist and it was a fun pin.

#33 4 months ago
    Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Owning most of them at one point in my collecting career I would say Dragonfist can be brutal, Quicksilver. My Catacomb can also bring some serious reflex challenges after some liquor For the most part any classic stern that is restored and brought back to life correctly should be furious, fast and fun....

Your Quicksilver is FAST! I remember playing it years ago at TPF and enjoyed it immensely.

For myself, it would be Stern Ali. This story has been shared before, but it bears repeating. Right after completing a clearcoated playfield swap on Ali, I was playtesting the game and making adjustments. Hadn't added the flipper rubber yet. Made a strong shot into the horseshoe and the ball came screaming back and shattered the right flipper. Hit right on the tip and that was it.

#34 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Your Quicksilver is FAST! I remember playing it years ago at TPF and enjoyed it immensely.
    For myself, it would be Stern Ali. This story has been shared before, but it bears repeating. Right after completing a clearcoated playfield swap on Ali, I was playtesting the game and making adjustments. Hadn't added the flipper rubber yet. Made a strong shot into the horseshoe and the ball came screaming back and shattered the right flipper. Hit right on the tip and that was it.

Yea, Dave even said my QS was blazing fast and starting more tweeking on his.

#35 4 months ago

speaking of TPF, is there going to be that classic stern row that was teased last year?

#36 4 months ago

Pretty much every standard-width M-200 classic Stern (Meteor and later) is fast. A game like Quicksilver can be blazingly fast, but you can get the ball up to the top lanes/pops giving you time to breath. Dragonfist is probably the fastest back to the flippers, or Lightning while on the lower playfield. You can't go wrong with any of the Sterns from this era imo.

#37 4 months ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

The one that I played was in Keith Holbrook's booth along with a Flash Gordon. I did play your Dragonfist and it was a fun pin.

Yea, Forgot Keith brought that one he restored which was beautiful!!!

#38 4 months ago

My guess? Because people are proud of their machines. Also, there are a lot of people in this hobby that have never played these games and seeing a playfield layout may provide an understanding of why they play fast. Games like Quicksilver are pretty rare.

Possibly... but most people that just got into the hobby know they can Google any game and find some detailed pics and in most cases, gameplay of it. I know what plays fast and why, I just don’t understand why it’s important at all. Plenty of fast games play like crap. I would rather discuss what’s good because it’s good, not what’s fast just because it’s fast. I find Quicksilver fast but boring. Ali is a better pinball design and I have more fun playing it... to each their own.

Besides, this discussion doesn’t even make sense if you put freshly clear coated and waxed playfields in games compared to anything else... whatever games have those new PF’s and are set appropriately steep or shallow are the fastest, does not matter the title. Less resistance, more speed. Common sense. If every title had this treatment and pitch, the relative speed of the ball would be the same, unless you put more powerful flipper coils in it or reduced a couple hundred windings of wire from them.. now that’s a discussion. How many windings do you need to remove from a flipper coil before plastics start to explode on contact?

#39 4 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Possibly... but most people that just got into the hobby know they can Google any game and find some detailed pics and in most cases, gameplay of it. I know what plays fast and why, I just don’t understand why it’s important at all. Plenty of fast games play like crap. I would rather discuss what’s good because it’s good, not what’s fast just because it’s fast.

See the title of the thread.

#40 4 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Possibly... but most people that just got into the hobby know they can Google any game and find some detailed pics and in most cases, gameplay of it. I know what plays fast and why, I just don’t understand why it’s important at all. Plenty of fast games play like crap. I would rather discuss what’s good because it’s good, not what’s fast just because it’s fast. I find Quicksilver fast but boring. Ali is a better pinball design and I have more fun playing it... to each their own.
    Besides, this discussion doesn’t even make sense if you put freshly clear coated and waxed playfields in games compared to anything else... whatever games have those new PF’s and are set appropriately steep or shallow are the fastest, does not matter the title. Less resistance, more speed. Common sense. If every title had this treatment and pitch, the relative speed of the ball would be the same, unless you put more powerful flipper coils in it or reduced a couple hundred windings of wire from them.. now that’s a discussion. How many windings do you need to remove from a flipper coil before plastics start to explode on contact?

Okey Dokey!

#41 4 months ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Bill talking with me years ago about you Brian selling him on Ali as must own in the sweet spot year of 1980 Sterns started me on my quest for one.
    Found a really nice one a year later at the Allentown show. Restored it up and added red lights under the top 3 saucers so they had that red glow.
    Thank you Brian and Bill for bringing Ali to mind for my consideration and ultimate acquire! Super fun Classic Stern!

#42 4 months ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Bill talking with me years ago about you Brian selling him on Ali as must own in the sweet spot year of 1980 Sterns started me on my quest for one.
    Found a really nice one a year later at the Allentown show. Restored it up and added red lights under the top 3 saucers so they had that red glow.
    Thank you Brian and Bill for bringing Ali to mind for my consideration and ultimate acquire! Super fun Classic Stern!

I bought an Ali a few years ago and never gotten around to getting it up and running. It didn't look that interesting so moved on to other projects. Seems it's a bit better than what I thought eh?

#43 4 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I bought an Ali a few years ago and never gotten around to getting it up and running. It didn't look that interesting so moved on to other projects. Seems it's a bit better than what I thought eh?

I had one for 7 years, thought I wouldn’t miss it, about 3 days later was like “what the hell was I thinking”. I bought another one two weeks later. There is just something special about that game. It’s like it has a piece of Harry William’s soul in it. A lot of cool features he used though-out his decades in the pinball industry are buried in that game.

1 week later
    #44 4 months ago

A lot of good title suggestions, ideas and some really beautiful gameroom lineups . Only problem now of course, the want-list is getting even bigger .

As 99 percent of the posters understood, the matter of speed - fastest game - was intended to describe the most demanding playfield setup, where the
    placement of bumpers, posts, ramps etc. give players the shortest reaction time for catching, thinking and shooting.

Big Thanks for the insights to these older Stern titles. Previously I only looked for Ballys in the classic EE and early SS department, but obviously there are some serious player pins from Stern here as well.

Happy New Year to posters and pinsiders !

#45 4 months ago
    Quoted from Pinasco:

A lot of good title suggestions, ideas and some really beautiful gameroom lineups . Only problem now of course, the want-list is getting even bigger .
    As 99 percent of the posters understood, the matter of speed - fastest game - was intended to describe the most demanding playfield setup, where the
    placement of bumpers, posts, ramps etc. give players the shortest reaction time for catching, thinking and shooting.
    Big Thanks for the insights to these older Stern titles. Previously I only looked for Ballys in the classic EE and early SS department, but obviously there are some serious player pins from Stern here as well.
    Happy New Year to posters and pinsiders !

Actually when I was both going to arcades and working in them the classic sterns were known for speed and more for the player then others. We would seek them out because they felt more made for the "real" players. At least that is how we felt.

#46 4 months ago

My stars is lightning fast.

1 month later
    #47 88 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Ali is a very fast game when set up!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside