Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by JBK
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a black knight with a bad driver board. Let's just say it's beyond repair. I will be buying one this Friday and was wondering should I get a refurbished one for 140-, or a rottendog combo for 280-? I know I could sell off my MPU and get 100 bucks probably. Any advice would be helpful.

#2 4 years ago

I would never say something bad about Rotten Dog - they have saved many of my games, However, I have found that originals do tend to work better then repro's while not all the time I have had 5 Issues over the years with Repros while originally's tend to only have the typical failures.

#3 4 years ago

If it were the cpu i would replace with rotendog but driver boards are easier to find used . If you decide go with rottendog be careful there are a least two plugs that are exactly the same the same number of pins and same key location reverse them and it will absolutely destroy new board

#4 4 years ago

I have Rottendogs on my Dr. Who and Earthshaker. I also have some original boards on both machines repaired by Clive at CoinOp Caldron. No problems for years since with either.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from jdzwir123:

I have a black knight with a bad driver board. Let's just say it's beyond repair. I will be buying one this Friday and was wondering should I get a refurbished one for 140-, or a rottendog combo for 280-? I know I could sell off my MPU and get 100 bucks probably. Any advice would be helpful.

There are reports of sound issues with the Rottendog combo when used in Black Knight.

#6 4 years ago

My advice is to not to go with the least expensive new product. It will be least expensive for a reason, like any product.

I would suggest getting the original serviced by a pro anyway (or a reconditioned one). That way your schematics don't change and existing support documentation applies exactly.

IMO

#7 4 years ago

I have reconditioned originals for less than $140, and can repair most originals for $60 shipped - unless there's a big hole burnt in it, or bad corrosion problems, it's fixable. These boards are pretty stout.

Drop me a PM if interested!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I have reconditioned originals for less than $140, and can repair most originals for $60 shipped - unless there's a big hole burnt in it, or bad corrosion problems, it's fixable. These boards are pretty stout.
Drop me a PM if interested!

John Wart is great at refurbishing these system 3-7 boards, with my last two purchased games, I shipped him the board sets and they work amazing! John is the man and charges a great price to work his magic!

#9 4 years ago

I will probably replace it with a refurbished one and hopefully I can get some credit for my old driver board.

1 week later
#10 4 years ago

I ended up getting a refurbished board from pinballplace.com,
It came to my house in two days and it's working perfectly.

#11 4 years ago

I go original when possible. With that being said, I have numerous Rottendog products and have always been more than happy with Jim's products and support.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Sale Pending!
Osceola, WI
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside