(Topic ID: 68609)

Which 90s B/W "fan" layout has the best flow?

By o-din

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of these games has the best flow.”

• Attack from Mars 47 votes
    55%
  • Medieval Madness 10 votes
    12%
  • No Fear 29 votes
    34%

(86 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1905.JPG
fan pattern.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I've seen quite a few comparisons of some of these games, but for me, it all comes down to flow. The faster, the better. I'm a little opinionated here, so I'll let you guy's do the talking and the voting for now. I know that I may have left some off the list, but these are the ones I'd like to compare.

#2 10 years ago

What list?!

Edit: it's there now!

#3 10 years ago

Option 4 tie: Johnny/ Shadow

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Option 4 tie: Johnny/ Shadow

+1

#5 10 years ago

Of those three, No Fear is clearly the fastest/flowiest.

#6 10 years ago

Shadow is not a fan pattern. Where is MB, or RFM. They all play about the same. No Fear technically isn't a fan pattern either, since the ball doesn't just loop around. Goes to the top of the playfield for another area.

TOM would be considered a fan pattern as well, since it's pretty much like MM, MB, RFM, AFM. they all play about the same, just like all Stern Fan layouts play about the same. Boring and uneventful.

#7 10 years ago

+1 for Johnny Mnemonic

#8 10 years ago

I would edit the poll to include every game mentioned, but it is too late. I decided to keep it simple. But all opinions welcome. and it gives you guys something to do.

#9 10 years ago

you guys don't know what a fan pattern game is then. means the playfield layout shoots like this and comes right back to the flippers. Orbits, Loops and ramp returns and not much else except maybe a dead stop target somewhere in the center.

Hence the name FAN pattern. Not fan as obsessed fan of the game.

fan pattern.JPGfan pattern.JPG
#11 10 years ago

Right now AFM and No Fear are tied. In reality, MM should not have been on this list, as that game was never so much about flow, but it is what it is. There are others that would have held there ground better. It looks like it will come down to these two in the poll. We need more votes.

#12 10 years ago

which is funny because No fear isn't even a true fan pattern game.

#13 10 years ago

Most all Steve Richie games have the best flow ever! Look at f-14.,,,way off topic and not even wpc BUT..Possibly the fastest game ever made when set up right.
For this poll I would say No Fear hands down but it is not a standard fan layout as mentioned and attack from mars fits the description better. If we pull the fan layout out of the equation and go for best flowing game of 90's era W/B games.
The answer for me is ...no fear.

#14 10 years ago

No Fear flows like an undammed river

#15 10 years ago

Cactus Canyon has much better flow than I thought it would.

#16 10 years ago

Monster bash

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

No Fear flows like an undammed river

My sentiments exactly. It looks like AFM is ahead in the poll by 6 votes. So far more pinsiders think AFM has better flow than No Fear. I guess if you were one to brick shots, then that would be the case. AFM is definitely an easier game for the novice player.

#18 10 years ago

NF is by far the flowiest, but I guess I never considered NF to be a fan layout because of the jump shot. Sort of like I wouldn't call WH2O a fan layout.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

but I guess I never considered NF to be a fan layout because of the jump shot

Well if that's not a "fan" layout, then I don't have any idea what is.
DSCN1905.JPGDSCN1905.JPG

#20 10 years ago

Yep, MB.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you guys don't know what a fan pattern game is then. means the playfield layout shoots like this and comes right back to the flippers. Orbits, Loops and ramp returns and not much else except maybe a dead stop target somewhere in the center.
Hence the name FAN pattern. Not fan as obsessed fan of the game.

fan pattern.JPG 487 KB

I didn't know people interpreted "fan" any other way.

#22 10 years ago

I like fan.Fan is good . Got corrected some time back that an upper flipper negates a fan layout.I'm always a student of the hobby.

Why not start a thread on the best stop and go pinball? That would put a cat in the works or a spanner amongst the pigeons.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

which is funny because No Fear isn't even a true fan pattern game.

It is 'THE' friggin' definition of a fan layout.

Look it up in the dictionary. There's a picture of No Fear by it. No kidding.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Why not start a thread on the best stop and go pinball?

No such thing. Stop and go games are just different versions of the same bad...

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

No such thing. Stop and go games are just different versions of the same bad...

Oh,come on!!Think positive man! You get to sip your drink and make your next move.Stop means go.

#26 10 years ago

Isn't any game with only 2 flippers pretty much a fan layout? Since the shots have to be fanned out in an array that can be hit from one location? Only by adding other flippers do you disrupt that.

#27 10 years ago

Good morning y'all!

#28 10 years ago

Are you guys serious?

MB has better flow than NF and AFM? I don't think it comes close to either one of them in terms of flow. No contest, really.

#29 10 years ago

AFM for me. Super easy to keep the flow going. MM and No Fear are both great, but MM can slow down a bit with raising the drawbridge and making the lock shot (especially after you've already done your first multi-ball via it), and No Fear needs a little more control to hit the mode start shot and the upper flipper area can slow things down as well if you don't make a clean shot.

#30 10 years ago

I'm not sure it's a fan layout but ToM like the inner and outer loops flow nicely.

#31 10 years ago

I think No Fear has the best flow, and having the magnetic accelerator and no pops makes it play faster than most.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I'm not sure it's a fan layout but ToM like the inner and outer loops flow nicely.

I was originally going to add this one to the poll, and in retrospect it would have been quite a contender. Very fast with lots of flow.

#33 10 years ago

What is WH2O? Fan?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are you guys serious?
MB has better flow than NF and AFM? I don't think it comes close to either one of them in terms of flow. No contest, really.

No fear isn't a fan. Neither is Spider-Man. Just ask markmon.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was originally going to add this one to the poll, and in retrospect it would have been quite a contender. Very fast with lots of flow.

ToM is without question one of the best flowing pins that I've ever owned. In fact, I would say that it *is* the best flowing pin I've owned. Even better than SM.

#37 10 years ago

I think I may have to give ToM the nod on this one too. Poll failure.

#38 10 years ago

STTNG is a very flowy pin, but it's not a fan layout.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

STTNG is a very flowy pin, but it's not a fan layout.

Neither is GnR.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 64.99
$ 75.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
Wanted
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-90s-bw-fan-layout-has-the-best-flow?hl=shadrac and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.