(Topic ID: 78046)

Where's the weirdest / most unexpected place you've found a machine?

By Kineticross

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Pinbub
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

capture2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
image.jpg
vs.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Typically, people expect to find pinball machines in areas that have video games, like arcades. However, back in the early 90s when TAF introduced the resurgence of pinball, pinball was literally everywhere. Then P2K arrived and they practically disappeared.

Some locations still seem to exist... Recently, I discovered a WCS94 at, out of all places, a Prime Honda dealership in West Roxbury. No video games. Just that machine sitting out in the open. It was turned off, but it was an interesting experience nevertheless.

Have you found any machines in places they wouldn't be?

#2 6 years ago

One of our motorsports dealership has a bowling alley.anything to keep the customers happy. works for me. Next time I'm in there, I'll tell them to get some pins to go along with it.vs.jpg

#3 6 years ago

A group of us go camping in Allegheny National Forest a few times each year. There's a fairly desolate road that runs along the river nearby, with the ocassional house or small business. Well, there's this scary looking bar down a ways that is really just a double-wide trailer with a Budweiser neon hung in the window. Two of my friends decided to check it out for some reason. It was one of those places where everyone turns and stares as you walk in the door. Oddly enough, there sat a BSD and a WCS in working order! Not too strange to find pinball in a bar, but definitely strange to find it in THIS 'bar'.

#4 6 years ago

Found a Pinbot in a very feminine antique / art shop that my wife dragged me into in South Dakota. It sat in a room with a bunch of hand sewn dolls and whatnot.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Not too strange to find pinball in a bar, but definitely strange to find it in THIS 'bar'.

Along those same lines, I found a pin near my childhood hometown at a place called Possum Holler Pizza. It was in surprisingly nice condition with strong flippers, clean rubber, and LEDs.

#6 6 years ago

I'm told there is a carpet/flooring showroom north of town that has a working Paragon. I've yet to verify though so it may be an urban legend.

#7 6 years ago

There's at least 5 pins bolted up on the wall in the underground arcade at Harveys/Harrahs in South Lake Tahoe...

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

There's at least 5 pins bolted up on the wall in the underground arcade at Harveys/Harrahs in South Lake Tahoe...

Harvey Gluck is rolling over in his grave. Thank you Harrah's for ruining everything.

#9 6 years ago

Back of a theatre in a northern chicago suburb. They have a Tommy from the stage show in NY. Doesnt work currently.

By theatre I mean like a real theatre...where they do plays.

#10 6 years ago

I am always amazed at who might have a pin tucked away somewhere. I recently bought a flash on craigslist and followed my GPS out into the middle of nowhere basically the woods and found myself at an animal rescue shelter that had 27 ducks and a couple donkeys etc etc and a Flash pinball machine in their living room....

#11 6 years ago

About ten years ago I saw a pin under a stairwell in a medical office building. It was an EM shoehorned in all by itself. Only people that could play it would have had to use the stairs to find it as the stairwell was only accessible through a steel door.

#12 6 years ago

Played a LOTR pin in a mexican type restaurant e/ne of Atlanta once a few years ago.

It seems like pins and arcade machines are fairly common in pizza restaurants and sports bars, but seem somewhat out of place in other type restaurants.

#13 6 years ago

I've recently come back from Dubai in the UAE where I found and Ironman pinball on the third floor of a Bloomingdales department store. I can honestly say it took a moment to register what I was seeing as I came up the escalator.

image.jpg

#14 6 years ago

Perfect floor for a LED light show under the machine.

#15 6 years ago

There is a quaint little motorcycle performance shop outside the Quad Cities that has a EM Gottlieb Flying Carpet in the corner. Its not for sale though.

#16 6 years ago

In the stall of a mens restroom in a warehouse raid. I kid you not.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

In the stall of a mens restroom in a warehouse raid. I kid you not.

Owner: "This pin is Shit! Put it somewhere immediately!"

Lonely Helper: (shrugs shoulders) "Ok"

#18 6 years ago

In the river.

It was not bad enough to have a machine stolen off route, but then to get the police call that if you did not get it out of the river, you would be charged a "recovery fee".

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Played a LOTR pin in a mexican type restaurant e/ne of Atlanta once a few years ago.
It seems like pins and arcade machines are fairly common in pizza restaurants and sports bars, but seem somewhat out of place in other type restaurants.

For a while Maine was the king of that. Portland used to have so many bars with machines. I also recall seeing The Machine Bride of Pin*Bot at a bistro once. Also there was once a Mexican cantina in Wells that had TAF. It's tough that they don't appear as randomly as they did then.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

In the river.
It was not bad enough to have a machine stolen off route, but then to get the police call that if you did not get it out of the river, you would be charged a "recovery fee".

yikes.

#21 6 years ago

Not my game but I shopped it. A friend found his MM in the women's restroom of a little local neighborhood restaurant or coffee shop. His wife had to be the one that really found it (I hope). This was about 7 years ago.

The game cleaned up pretty nice.

Mike O.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Back of a theatre in a northern chicago suburb. They have a Tommy from the stage show in NY. Doesnt work currently.
By theatre I mean like a real theatre...where they do plays.

This is actually very common. I'm friends with a couple theaters in town, and they come to me to help them figure out what games they are going to have backstage for the performers to play in off times.

#23 6 years ago

Nice thread! Like to read short stories like these. Makes me see the setting in front of me and feel a bit of the old pinball magic. Have not seen any random pins yet myself but found two arcade machines in a dusty barn among some old cars in the middle of nowhere once. Pretty odd sight.

#24 6 years ago

The Smithsonian Museum of American History in DC has a WOZ in the gift shop (set to free-play!).

#25 6 years ago

My husband and I found pins twice while on vacation in Morocco - first in Marrakesh and then in Fes. First photo is Marrakesh. Second photo is Fes. Conclusion? If you want to find Amazon Hunt, go to Morocco.

Pin next to Amazon Hunt in first photo is Amazon Hunt II (no - I'm not kidding).

IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0622.JPG
5 months later
#26 5 years ago

BUMP TIME

#27 5 years ago

International Terminal in Melbourne, Australia waiting for Air New Zealand flight. a TAF and BBH.

Otherwise, look at my avatar.. under a bridge..

4 years later
#28 11 months ago

On a ferry on the way from Connecticut to Long Island.

capture2 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#29 9 months ago

An abandoned all girls school for troubled youths was definitely the weirdest.

OH and I picked up my Seawitch wall-hanger from the BURN PIT of some hill billies deep in the heart of some methlab-forest in way way upstate New York.

#30 9 months ago

A TSPP in a foreclosed brothel with all chattels and the premises sold off in it's entirety as court ordered debt recovery.

2 weeks later
#31 9 months ago

I lived in Hawaii from 1979-1984 and we used to go to Bellows beach. It was a military installation that was great for boogie boarding. On the beach was a wooden shack that sold drinks and snacks. OUTSIDE on the wooden deck next to the shack was a pin. I don't remember which one it was but I remember not being disappointed in the way it played. I was 14 at the time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside