(Topic ID: 147689)

Where's the Ramps??

By thedarkknight77

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1021_(resized).JPG
    tumblr_nrkcxep9Zw1rjvjt8o1_1280_(resized).jpg
    see_and_dee_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider helicopter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from 2manypins:

There is money to made for some of the ramp reproduction.

Not likely unless you can sell thousands of them. The cost of an appropriately sized injection mold in the US is $30k and $6k in China. Even vacuum forming gets expensive due to labor. 3D printing or SLAing one-offs is not there yet when compared to an ABS or PC molded part especially if you want them clear.

Quoted from 2manypins:

If someone made a lower Hurricane or Party Zone ramp, they would all sell out

If you can guarantee 1000 ramps will sell in 12 months for $50 each, this would be the only way that it would be feasible. I don't see it happening.

I've been designing molded plastic parts(injection, blow, inj/blow, roto, insert, extrusion, etc) for consumer and automotive for 20+ years. Unless someone is willing to work for next to nothing and has a mold builder and a molder that is also willing to work for next to nothing or doesn't mind losing a little money, I don't see a scenario that this will work.

Quoted from vid1900:

Get a 3D laser scan done from original

These ramps are simple enough to create 3D models in Creo or SolidWorks, scanning is more trouble than it's worth. You spend more time cleaning up the model and imperfections in the part than you do building a new 3D file. I'm guessing I could create any pinball ramp in Creo(Pro/E) in just a few hours.

#25 8 years ago

I bought one of Freeplays ramps. They are very high quality vacuum forms and I consider myself pretty critical of all plastic parts. He clearly is doing it because he enjoys it which is good for us because with the amount of hours he is putting into it, he is working for peanuts.

I'd be willing to help Freeplay if he needs help with the 3D files to create the forming side of the thermoform. I also have some pretty good CNC shops here and in China to create the forms but these shops won't work for free unfortunately.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider helicopter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-the-ramps?tu=helicopter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.