Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image-90.jpg
image-368.jpg
image-62.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I've completely stripped down the topside of my TSPP PF, installed new white rubbers and cleaned everything meticulously yet I still get wicked ball trails and dirt on my post rubbers and targets. Where's it coming from? What shall I clean next? Any help is appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-62.jpgimage-62.jpg

image-368.jpgimage-368.jpg

image-90.jpgimage-90.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Ball trough, balls, any area the balls go that you didn't clean.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

I was told that whenever 2 bits of metal make contact, you get dust/dirt.
You'll find that it coats pretty much everything under the playfield.
That includes the ball trough as LTG said.
The balls then track all the dirt all over the playfield for you to enjoy.

#4 9 years ago

The coil plungers hitting the coil stops make that black, pulverized metal dust that covers everything.

#5 9 years ago

The heat and no fan w/in a cabinet of a typical pinball machine generates this sort of stuff. Best bet to keep the ball trough clean and a wipe w/Novus 2 or 1 from time to time. I have a re-import BSD and no matter what I do, I still get dirt due it's early Euro lifestyle of cigarettes and beer.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks all! I'll get to work cleaning the suggested areas now.

#7 9 years ago

Perhaps this is a culprit? How many plays does it take to do this to a plunger??

image.jpgimage.jpg

#8 9 years ago

You need to keep in mind that TSPP has a light colored playfield. There are different colored TSPP playfields, but from your pics, yours looks very bright. I'd guess it's not a first run playfield. Ball trails will show up quick on light colored playfields. No way to avoid that. POTC is another one.

And even on a brand new game, dirt happens. You can't clean all the dirt away because it will come right back. Even HEP games get ball trails. White rubbers and bright post sleeves (neither are factory) are magnets for dirt, as are urethane flipper rubbers. It's somewhat ironic that bling attracts dirt. You wanna look good, you gotta get dirty.

I operated my TSPP and whenever I had the glass off, I cleaned the upper playfield. A dirty upper playfield eventually makes the couch shot impossible. I also kept the upper flipper rubbers clean (along with the 3 lower flipper rubbers). The rest of the rubber rings occasionally got cleaned. Lower playfield got cleaned after the upper and not as meticulously. Keep your upper playfield clean and don't sweat small ball trails and smudged posts on the lower playfield. It's an epic game that takes many hours to explore. Don't waste too much time cleaning.

#9 9 years ago

Flippers are about how many flips instead of how many games. 800k-1mil flips for it to mushroom like that and maybe 100 flips to start to build up the dirt on a new rebuild

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Perhaps this is a culprit?

Every coil with a plunger and a coil stop is a culprit, not just that one.

Looks like you are long overdue for a rebuild.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every coil with a plunger and a coil stop is a culprit, not just that one.
Looks like you are long overdue for a rebuild.

Indeed! Making up a parts order list now.

#12 9 years ago

I recently added a tspp to my collection and have noticed the same thing, more so than my other machines. I also did a thorough tear down and clean and the black dust keeps returning. I think the poster above is probably right, that it's due to the light color of the PF. It's just more noticeable.

Jack

#13 9 years ago

When cleaning metal parts and re-graining guides I wipe them off with with isopropyl alcohol to get any residue left. You can also do this with the balls before reinstalling them.

#14 9 years ago

Clean in pinball is just a moment in time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 16.00
$ 45.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-all-this-dirt-coming-from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.