basement (resized).jpg
288575649_10160184325039756_6016275617751080907_n (resized).jpg
245226865_10159726349824756_666517469508015938_n (resized).jpg
289307485_10160184325219756_4954512007318991189_n (resized).jpg
278594949_10160059896089756_8982840331547475091_n (resized).jpg
55A4E307-3C26-417A-9819-B9717DE2A57F (resized).jpeg
perth2 (resized).jpg
perth1 (resized).jpg
2019-09-30 17_19_42-predator movie - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png
1558114430499_charles-phoenix-kodachrome-collection-catalina-1957 (resized).jpg
589C3E95-17F9-4D29-B89D-32038B29DDED (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Texas is pretty F ing big, i'm quite sure you haven't "driven through" my Texas!

Always like seeing Mile Marker 880 near Beaumont...

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

I just moved away from Charlotte. I lived there for 7 years.
Home prices were incredibly low, but have increased for a couple years now. I found the winters be very mild, very little snow, however native Chaloteans believe that their winter weather is as bad as Antarctica. The summers were terrible. I love 'warm'. But for about 90 straight days in the summer, it is hot and humid. Period.
I don't have kids, but I believe the education system is pretty crappy, unless you are going to be living in an economically exclusive neighborhood. Then it's probably awesome. Which probably is similar to many other highly populated places.
I hated driving anywhere there.
I met many awesome folks who became friends. But I was not happy there. "Southern culture" is not my cup of tea. We literally jumped at the opportunity to relocate to Reno, NV.
I'm loving Reno so far. But I have only been here a couple months. Home prices are roughly double Charlotte though. That was a big challenge for us. I don't think you'd be happy with the 'median income' here. It's pretty trashy. And I think the schools suck here too.
I can heavily recommend Iowa City, IA. But the winters can be rough some years.

My son says Reno FTW. Perfect weather, views and traffic. Although he does not use the freeways during rush hours as he lives a five-iron shot away from IGT. Also, no state income tax. A nice bonus.
20190913_084617 (resized).png20190913_084617 (resized).png

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:Wishful thinking. Try nice 4-5 months out of the year (max). I live there part time...couldn't take it full-time.

Agreed (and I've lived in CT, NY, NC, Salt Lake City, San Jose/CA, Sunnyvale/CA, Fremont/CA).
If CA were so "crappy", the real estate prices wouldn't be so high! Most of the people that complain about CA have never lived here!

Pasedena is pretty nice. Not the low rent district for sure. A buddy lives next door to Frankie Muniz there.

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

and Monaco?
The whole country is on this picture.[quoted image]

1621f1 (resized).jpg1621f1 (resized).jpgerttuk67rtr (resized).jpgerttuk67rtr (resized).jpg
#312 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Carolinas are beautiful. They have cool city names like Winston Salem and Hickory.

There's a whole "cigarette" subdivision in Sterling Heights, Michigan. Street names I recall are: Newport, Winston, Parliment, Pall Mall, Viceroy and Camel. I worked with a guy who lived on Viceroy. He didn't smoke.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

And don't forget the Gem States OTHER gem....[quoted image]

She's gonna be on the market soon....

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I know the OP will not pick Illinois because of the weather but I implore the rest of you readers, do NOT move here. It SUCKS and most of us are leaving.

Bally was first to move some of their manufacturing operations out of Illinois in 1991.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I take it you've never seen the roads of Compton.[quoted image]

Compton, Paramount and El Monte are all shitholes.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I was actually thinking hard about Del Boca Vista, but I am not old enough yet.

Quoted from JodyG:

Love it out there, just not sure I could ever make the move to CA. I spent 10 days chasing and photographing trains up the mountain from San Bernardino and out into the desert by you a few years ago before the big fire. Beautiful part of the country![quoted image][quoted image]

That first picture is pretty cool. Kinda the same reason Horseshoe Curve was built near Altoona. But yours has a Train instead of automobile tunnel in the mix.

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My brother and sister live on Maui and are always trying to convince me of moving there. It is a beautiful place but it would probably be worse than living in the middle of Wyoming in terms of a pinball desert. Imagine trying to buy, trade or sell games on an island-this thought has actually been a determining factor for me. It is expensive in most parts but there are tons of job opportunities, especially in the construction industry. I have to say out of all the places I have visited the people of Hawaii are the kindest and most outgoing. The spirit of the locals is what makes it special for me.

I'd move there if I were you. Pinball isn't everything. There will be a day when you say you're done with them. Better to be in Hawaii than a place you don't like for the weather, scenery, culture or traffic.

Besides, if you can afford Hawaii, you can afford to have NIB pins shipped to you. Any pins for that matter. You can now use the internet to find & buy them. Fly to Banning, the Bay area and Seattle for awesome shows.

1 week later
#411 4 years ago
Quoted from SimpleSam:

I grew up in San Jose, Ca (and still have family there), lived in Sacramento, CA for a few years while active duty in the USAF, lived in a suburb of Dayton, OH after graduating from college, lived and raised my family in Modesto, Ca, and am currently living in Reno, NV.
There's not enough money in the world to get me to move back to San Jose. Even if you can afford it, it is still ridiculously crowded with constant traffic.
Sacramento wasn't bad when I lived there but it was a lot smaller back then. Although hot in the summer, it is pleasant the rest of the year. There are plenty of job opportunities and the cost of housing is much lower than the bay area.
The most important thing I learned living in Dayton was that plenty of people live full and complete lives even though they can't surf and ski in the same day. It was definitely not an exciting town with lots of wealthy people and great weather like San Jose but I still liked it.
I had moved back to San Jose when I was offered a job in Modesto. I jumped at it and, like Dayton, was able to live a full and complete life in spite of it being a cow town in the Central Valley.
We ended up in Reno when we followed our oldest son who went to UNR. We love it here but ultimately will probably end up wherever our children land. Reno is a small city so there is little traffic. Because it is the gateway to the Lake Tahoe area and a gaming town, there are a lot more entertainment options than you would expect for a city of its' size. Being close to Lake Tahoe, there's world class skiing, lots of water sports, hiking and mt bike trails, camping, etc; definitely an outdoor paradise. The biggest downside to Reno is there just aren't that many jobs. Pinball wise, we only have one significant arcade (Press Start) although we're about 2 hours from Sacramento (in good weather!). No state income tax, sane gun laws (for a little longer), and more freedom oriented citizens are just bonuses.

Reno FTW. My son lives there now and is in the gaming industry. Here's a pic of my late Dad when he & I first visited Reno in 1989. Then my son, standing in the same spot earlier this year when we went for him to find a place to live, get his gaming license and start his on-boarding.

May1989 (resized).jpgMay1989 (resized).jpgMarch 2019 (resized).jpgMarch 2019 (resized).jpg1989b (resized).jpg1989b (resized).jpg
#413 4 years ago

Actually a 5000CS Turbo quattro. I sure miss that car. Bought it new in October,1987 (the day the stock market crashed) and donated it to Charity Motors in December 2005. It had 286,000 miles on the clock. I drove it to donate. It was no longer fun to own as something broke every week.

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from SimpleSam:

We really like it, I hope your son does as well. Having a good job is a key to happiness anywhere.
The GSR is a nice property. During Hot August Nights, they have a huge car show and are the host for the free concert.
Speaking of Hot August Nights, that's another great thing about Reno; lots of big festivals. It seems like every other weekend, Virginia Street is closed for a party. This weekend is Street Vibrations and two weeks ago was the air races. There's so much to do.

I came in for Hot August Nights. Had a blast all over town especially at Atlantis & GSR.

When Msbally & I were in Reno this past May helping our son with his move; we stayed at GSR. The "Furrie" convention was taking place. She was not amused and it gave her the creeps. She doesn't want to stay there again. We used to stay there back when it was Bally's and loved it.

20190810_164154 (resized).jpg20190810_164154 (resized).jpg20190809_171531 (resized).jpg20190809_171531 (resized).jpg20190809_174424 (resized).jpg20190809_174424 (resized).jpg

#424 4 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

^^^^ . Both parents work
in high tech while the grandparents take care of their siblings.

That doesn't sound like living to me.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Not my experience, but my expectations might be different. I've been developing land in the inner Bay Area for 25+ years, and if u want to live next to good jobs, be a great school district, low crime, live in a nice home, and not have to commute for hours yours paying well over $1.5M+ .... yes in some areas u can find half way decent 25+ year old track homes for close to a $1M, but their not great places to live.

Since you've been developing land for over 25 years, you either have auto-correct turned on or must only deal with commercial property. You meant to say Tract homes.

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

And the best part is if you ever get popped, Folsom prison is right down the street so you won’t have to move too far.

BTDT....

IMAG3378 (resized).jpgIMAG3378 (resized).jpg
3 years later
#520 1 year ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Anywhere but Illinois

As Voltan says: It was such a beautiful place, once.....

#527 1 year ago
Quoted from Strummy:

They have nice camp grounds no?

Hell, the homeless shit right in the aisles of Safeway grocery stores in San Francisco. Toilet paper is sort of provided.....

Screenshot_20230324_161845_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230324_161845_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 209.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrbally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-a-good-place-to-live?tu=mrbally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.