basement (resized).jpg
288575649_10160184325039756_6016275617751080907_n (resized).jpg
245226865_10159726349824756_666517469508015938_n (resized).jpg
289307485_10160184325219756_4954512007318991189_n (resized).jpg
278594949_10160059896089756_8982840331547475091_n (resized).jpg
55A4E307-3C26-417A-9819-B9717DE2A57F (resized).jpeg
perth2 (resized).jpg
perth1 (resized).jpg
2019-09-30 17_19_42-predator movie - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png
1558114430499_charles-phoenix-kodachrome-collection-catalina-1957 (resized).jpg
589C3E95-17F9-4D29-B89D-32038B29DDED (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffro01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#227 4 years ago

This is very much a "to each their own" kind of a thread but I love living in CA, love living in the Bay Area, and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else at this point having grown up in the midwest... Yeah it's grossly expensive here but the weather more than makes up for it so far as my wife and I are concerned. Again, to each their own...

Jeff

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If he moves to Austin he’ll be fine. And I imagine some of the other cities must lean Dem as well. But probably worth researching before he pulls the trigger.

Texas is getting increasingly blue... That being said TX is really two different states, rural vs urban.

Jeff

#301 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I kinda like my little corner of California. It’s high desert so we get enough snow every year to keep it interesting.[quoted image]

Tehachapi is awesome... Love the area and have looked at moving there several times from NorCal...

Jeff

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I live in the Bay Area which sucks. I hate it here. Here for the kids and job.
Goal is to move to our vacation home eventually. It is in California but is relatively inexpensive, homes can be had for 300k, no traffic and on a lake. Get all the joys of California (weather, scenery, etc) without the insane prices.
I have tried to find some place better (visit a different state every year) but nothing compares for our life style.
Only 14 more years to go!!

Awww... Come on... The Bay Area is the best place in the world...

Okay so now on to my serious question, what lake? We've been looking at property around Clear Lake as a second/vacation/retirement home/place... Would love suggestions on other places to look.

Jeff

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#373 4 years ago

It's amazing, but not surprising, all of the different things people value which are different from person to person as it pertains to where people want to live or think they want to live. I'm a liberal, although not on everything but that's irrelevant here, and I love living in CA and really love living in the Bay Area. Is it perfect? No. But despite my success I'm not quite successful enough to find "perfection". I doubt really anyone here is with the possible exception or two. Politics in general over the last 20 years or so has really muddied the waters and turned people against each other. I won't put forth my own opinions here but I'd be they'd offend more than a few if I did. That doesn't make anyone a bad person but it does go to show just how polarized we've become. Local politics factors significantly into what's important for me and my wife so far as where we want to live. It's one of the main reasons why we left the midwest and moved to CA in the first place.

At the end of the day, all of us try to strike a balance between what we want and what we can afford or what our life circumstances allow us to make work. There are a number of places I think I'd like to live but they all include drawbacks just like where I live now.

Jeff

1 week later
#408 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I wouldn't let gun laws really determine were I live. But it is interesting to see the dramatic difference and fear people have of guns that did not grow up around them compared to people that did (not talking about growing up around gang bangers with guns). I have a safe full of guns, I like to hunt and fish and every once in a while shoot trap or skeet. I didn't buy most of them, most are gifts or willed to me. I was raised hunting and fishing and was taught gun safety early on and have had it reinforced my whole life. I do not carry though because I don't need a gun to feel safe and honestly having one in public is too much responsibility and risk that I would never feel comfortable with. We have a good friend from Australia that is super uncomfortable around all guns and is terrified of them but he lives a happy life in Dallas Texas with few issues.

Nor would I per say but... I also grew up around guns, learned to shoot a very young age and now... I cringe when I see my family teaching their children how to shoot and while I am a gun owner, I have absolutely zero issues with the repeal of the 2A and gun ownership transitioning from a right to a privilege...

Point here is, people change, opinions change... It's like when the internet mob goes after 20 somethings for things they posted on Twitter at 16... Really people...??? REALLY??? You've NEVER changed your opinion or view of the world...???

Jeff

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Not my experience, but my expectations might be different. I've been developing land in the inner Bay Area for 25+ years, and if u want to live next to good jobs, be a great school district, low crime, live in a nice home, and not have to commute for hours yours paying well over $1.5M+ .... yes in some areas u can find half way decent 25+ year old track homes for close to a $1M, but their not great places to live.

Only much of what you call out here is subjective... I live in Martinez, in a house built in this century for less than $750K. My sons school is awesome and our area is safe. So I'm confused by your post...

Jeff

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its certainly subjective, and thats great u like Martinez (never been there), but in my area Danville, Alamo, Pleasanton what u describe doesn't exist...in general the costs in these areas are $1.5-2M for something thats nice...its ridiculous....

You do realize the East Bay expands far beyond those boundaries? Speaking of things that are ridiculous, I think it's ridiculous for you to make such a statement about how knowledgeable you are about this, that, and the other, and then say something like you've never been to Martinez... There's this fallacy that's been put out there, NorCalRealtor talks about it, that everything in the Bay Area is unaffordable when that's simply not true.

Yes, your area is expensive, no doubt. But to make such a blanket statement based on one generalized area doesn't make much sense.

For the rest of the country commenting on our real-estate values here, no one is disputing you can buy more (usually far more) somewhere else outside of LA/SF Bay Area. As such, you can think our property values here are as ridiculous as you want but our weather here is as close to perfect as it gets, really can say the same thing for the entire CA coast, and our proximity to high-paying jobs is unlike anywhere else in the US. Things are so expensive here because the market dictates they be, that's how it works. If no one wanted to live here and there weren't a gluttonous amount of high-paying jobs, then no doubt the real-estate prices wouldn't be so high comparatively speaking.

Jeff

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm amazed that the 1M home pictured is in your mind reasonable. As someone else mentioned, that's a 300k house in my area. We're in the RTP area which is dubbed silicon east so plenty of tech jobs that are making the aforementioned 150k a year. But School teachers, government workers, police officers, small business owners, retail managers, etc can still afford these types of homes. I dont understand how the regular middle class of people in service industries in California have any opportunity at home ownership. Seems like a huge bubble that has to burst at some point. All those tech people arent going to teach their own kids or cook their own food.

But then I'd have to live in NC where I personally don't want to live. The weather there doesn't remotely match up to the weather here on the CA coast for starters. Furthermore, there aren't plenty of tech jobs in NC paying 150K+ per year, I know, I've looked... I've been recruited several times by companies in NC, and TX, and neither can hold a candle to the salaries paid for equivalent work in CA...

Jeff

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 209.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffro01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-a-good-place-to-live?tu=jeffro01 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.