basement (resized).jpg
288575649_10160184325039756_6016275617751080907_n (resized).jpg
245226865_10159726349824756_666517469508015938_n (resized).jpg
289307485_10160184325219756_4954512007318991189_n (resized).jpg
278594949_10160059896089756_8982840331547475091_n (resized).jpg
55A4E307-3C26-417A-9819-B9717DE2A57F (resized).jpeg
perth2 (resized).jpg
perth1 (resized).jpg
2019-09-30 17_19_42-predator movie - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png
1558114430499_charles-phoenix-kodachrome-collection-catalina-1957 (resized).jpg
589C3E95-17F9-4D29-B89D-32038B29DDED (resized).jpeg
There are 528 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 4 years ago

Where’s a nice place to live and safely raise a family that’s not too cold and umm how should I say this...not a congested coastal state but still has a good median income?
4B9A6DAC-4AA7-4861-AF1B-F4DCCA640FBE (resized).jpeg4B9A6DAC-4AA7-4861-AF1B-F4DCCA640FBE (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

Cranky neighbors?

Taxes that guarantee death?

Incredible December heat waves that instantly revert to 20 degree snowstorms?

Welcome to Connecticut, my friend.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Where’s a nice place to live and safely raise a family that’s not too cold and umm how should I say this...not a congested coastal state but still has a good median income?

Switzerland.

#4 4 years ago

I like Central PA but traffic along I-81 & I-83 is really starting to be a bit of a mess. We have traveled to all 48 states & we still like this area better than most places we have visited. I love to visit other areas but I wouldn't want to live in most of those areas. It seems we have the "best of all worlds" here. Four seasons but winter isn't super nasty and summer only has 15 or 20 days over 90 degrees (most years). Nice amount of rain to keep plants and grass alive yet not raining all the time. ETC

Plenty of decent paying jobs yet housing cost are not bad. Plenty of good food, places to visit, etc.

#5 4 years ago

Not Chicago. Moving this year!

#6 4 years ago

Santa Cruz,............ If you could move it out of California.

#7 4 years ago

I agree with the poster above, central PA isn't too shabby. I'm from Pittsburgh and it's not too bad aside from the occasional bad weather and awful traffic. Plenty of good places to eat, lots of stuff to do, and a really solid pinball community. Property tax is a bit high, and street parking is a pain in a lot of areas but it's an alright place to live.

#8 4 years ago

Welcome to Canada, well... some parts of Canada.

#9 4 years ago

Welcome to Texas.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Welcome to Texas.

Got sugar land on the radar

#11 4 years ago

Arizona. Skiing 90 minutes north of Phoenix. Mid 70’s all winter long. Summers are warm, but lakes are plentiful. Great areas to raise kids. Affordable. We have a boat, 1/2 acre of land and huge house in a gated community tucked away. Neighbors are awesome and almost everyone gets along. Plus, if you really want to escape in the summer, San Diego is only a 5 hour drive away. Can visit the crazy state of CA but not pay the taxes or deal with the Hillary & Bernie stickers! LOL

#12 4 years ago

Yep, good choice. Have Galveston and the coast nearby along with everything else to love about the Houston area, except the traffic

Cheap cost of living, no state income taxes and so much more........

#13 4 years ago

I’m moving to SW Florida from Long Island NY this year. Not that it’s perfect in Florida but it’s pretty nice 8 months out of the year and it’s good for my pension and taxes are low

#14 4 years ago

Australia, nice weather all year round

#15 4 years ago

Not Colorado. It’s terrible. Horrible weather. People are mean...in a real nasty sort of way too. Nothing to do recreation wise. No pinball scene. Just awful.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Not Colorado. It’s terrible. Horrible weather. People are mean...in a real nasty sort of way too. Nothing to do recreation wise. No pinball scene. Just awful.

I second that. Stay far far away. Just awful

#18 4 years ago

Following this thread. Leaving the SF Bay Area & California someday is always on my mind.

#19 4 years ago

Another vote for Arizona. Scottsdale’s motto is literally America’s “most livable city.”

Pros for pinball:
- great location play
- large one floor houses where pins can be easily moved in and out
- zero humidity so games can be put in garages (Jersey Jack himself told me he tested games to make sure they can withstand the temperature).

Other pros:
- prob other stuff

#20 4 years ago

I've got a shed behind my garage.

No really it's New Zealand FTW.

#21 4 years ago

Not on my block

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Following this thread. Leaving the SF Bay Area & California someday is always on my mind.

None of the shit we have had to put up with over the last 40 or so years...

Earthquakes
Immigrants
Traffic
Air Pollution
Water Pollution
Summer Blend Gasoline
Ban On Oil Base House Paint
New Yorkers Moving Here
Fires
Drought
You Name It...

Has made me think I really need to get out of here, until they started talking this mandatory flu shot bullshit.

#23 4 years ago

We have a great tournament turnout in Houston. Sugarland is next door.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Not Chicago. Moving this year!

BTW, Anyone in Charlotte, NC? Flying out tomorrow to look at houses and get a feel for the area.

#25 4 years ago

The only thing Cali has going for it is Odin, NorCalrealtor, Robt and my buddy Nimblepin

Thus, Pinballmaniac40 is right on!

#26 4 years ago

Well, wisconsin would be a good fit if it werent for the cold winters...colder than a wifes shoulder here....

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The only thing Cali has going for it is Odin, NorCalrealtor, Robt and my buddy Nimblepin

You forgot all the Mexican food!

Hate to say it but Texas is one of the biggest shit holes I've ever driven through, but I do like the people there.

#28 4 years ago

Tennessee

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, good choice. Have Galveston and the coast nearby along with everything else to love about the Houston area, except the traffic
Cheap cost of living, no state income taxes and so much more........

Your property tax though...

#30 4 years ago

I like Columbus Ohio. Four seasons. Reasonable cost of living. Lots of jobs. Good pinball scene.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You forgot all the Mexican food!
Hate to say it but Texas is one of the biggest shit holes I've ever driven through, but I do like the people there.

LOL, we have "real mexican food" here Odin. South Texas Mexicans make great food. It's NOT Chipotle.......That chain can't make it here. LOL

Texas is pretty F ing big, i'm quite sure you haven't "driven through" my Texas!

#32 4 years ago

Your property tax though...

Rent? Seriously, everything else makes up for it. Best of all, great people.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

BTW, Anyone in Charlotte, NC? Flying out tomorrow to look at houses and get a feel for the area.

I just moved away from Charlotte. I lived there for 7 years.

Home prices were incredibly low, but have increased for a couple years now. I found the winters be very mild, very little snow, however native Chaloteans believe that their winter weather is as bad as Antarctica. The summers were terrible. I love 'warm'. But for about 90 straight days in the summer, it is hot and humid. Period.

I don't have kids, but I believe the education system is pretty crappy, unless you are going to be living in an economically exclusive neighborhood. Then it's probably awesome. Which probably is similar to many other highly populated places.

I hated driving anywhere there.

I met many awesome folks who became friends. But I was not happy there. "Southern culture" is not my cup of tea. We literally jumped at the opportunity to relocate to Reno, NV.

I'm loving Reno so far. But I have only been here a couple months. Home prices are roughly double Charlotte though. That was a big challenge for us. I don't think you'd be happy with the 'median income' here. It's pretty trashy. And I think the schools suck here too.

I can heavily recommend Iowa City, IA. But the winters can be rough some years.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Half of our listings are people fleeing...

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Texas is pretty F ing big, i'm quite sure you haven't "driven through" my Texas!

I was going 90 MPH all night and it still wouldn't end.

The most majestic place in the USA I have seen runs along the Rogue River.

Google it if you don't know where that is.
c852ada308efbdbab9c30eba7c386b28 (resized).jpgc852ada308efbdbab9c30eba7c386b28 (resized).jpg

#36 4 years ago

I would say you should come check out Colorado but I might generate some local hate mail so yeah you might want to skip it.

#37 4 years ago

Anywhere, that is not the city of Chicago, New York City or L.A and Boston.

#38 4 years ago

People from Texas are some of the best.

#39 4 years ago

If I had to leave good old mountain adjacent northeast Pennsylvania I'd pick the Carolinas. Or Montana but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was going 90 MPH all night and it still wouldn't end.
The most majestic place in the USA I have seen runs along the Rogue River.
Google it if you don't know where that is.
[quoted image]

Oregon I think? You can drive all day on IH-10 from Houston to El Paso and not get out of Texas in a day.

Not much to see there.

If you love Cali you'd love Texas Cali south, Austin..........Nothing but Cali tech transplants now

However, we don't have emissions concerns here! LOL

#41 4 years ago

More pinball stuff in the north east than anywhere in the world is another perk as far as Central PA goes. I can be in NYC, Phila, Baltimore MD, Washington DC, Pittsburgh with less than 3 hours driving. So from Central PA a day trip takes me to a half a dozen big cities & everything in between to pick up machines. Plus I am about two hours from PAPA, the Allentown Pinball Show, and less than an hour from the York Pinball Show.

So as far as pinball goes I live in heaven.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Oregon I think?

Yes. I took a short cut and drove quite a long way along side of it, and it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Spellbinding. And there were towns.

I told myself if I ever got the hell out of dodge and didn't go to New Zealand, that would be the place.

#43 4 years ago

We've lived in numerous places including Canada, Texas, Washington, Florida, New York, etc but for us nothing compares to LA. Tons of culture, countless languages, great people, unlimited food, miles of beach, perfect weather, infinite things to do and see, I can go on and on. Plus I love to drive so the endless canyon roads for me are a total blast. There's lots of intangibles as well like the people are so accepting here compared to other places. Some places would gives us endless grief just for simple things like hair color, the fact that me and my wife have different last names, that we aren't religious, etc. Here in LA no one cares, probably because of the huge variety of people from all over the world, it's such a melting pot. I attached a pic from our backyard, one of the many local canyon runs I love to do, endless quiet locations like this for fans of spirited driving. Yeah I know everyone craps on California but what can I say, our experience is the polar opposite.

You'll have to decide your priorities but for us this place is paradise, and after countless moves we have found our permanent home.

IMG_20180726_173514 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_173514 (resized).jpg
#44 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

New Zealand

Yes! Is the topic limited to US? NZ rocks

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes. I took a short cut and drove quite a long way along side of it, and it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Spellbinding. And there were towns.
I told myself if I ever got the hell out of dodge and didn't go to New Zealand, that would be the place.

Yeah New Zealand is amazing and you have Rotodave there to hang with.

Lot's of beauty in the Northwest US and into Canada.

Life it too short, live wherever makes you happy

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah New Zealand is amazing

We used to live in Granity NZ (south island) . 120 feet from the Tasman Sea. Super Awesome place to live. However, it might not be a reality, they recently passed some laws there that do not allow foreign ownership of real-estate anymore. Bummer

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Life it too short, live wherever makes you happy

So far I've learned to be happy right here again in my own little space. Traveling is great, but as time goes on there is no place like home. As long as I never have the need to drive into LA ever again, I'm good.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I’m moving to SW Florida from Long Island NY this year. Not that it’s perfect in Florida but it’s pretty nice 8 months out of the year and it’s good for my pension and taxes are low

Wishful thinking. Try nice 4-5 months out of the year (max). I live there part time...couldn't take it full-time.

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

We've lived in numerous places including Canada, Texas, Washington, Florida, New York, etc but for us nothing compares to LA. Tons of culture, countless languages, great people, unlimited food, miles of beach, perfect weather, infinite things to do and see, I can go on and on. Plus I love to drive so the endless canyon roads for me are a total blast. There's lots of intangibles as well like the people are so accepting here compared to other places. Some places would gives us endless grief just for simple things like hair color, the fact that me and my wife have different last names, that we aren't religious, etc. Here in LA no one cares, probably because of the huge variety of people from all over the world, it's such a melting pot. I attached a pic from our backyard, one of the many local canyon runs I love to do, endless quiet locations like this for fans of spirited driving. Yeah I know everyone craps on California but what can I say, our experience is the polar opposite.
You'll have to decide your priorities but for us this place is paradise, and after countless moves we have found our permanent home.[quoted image]

Agreed (and I've lived in CT, NY, NC, Salt Lake City, San Jose/CA, Sunnyvale/CA, Fremont/CA).

If CA were so "crappy", the real estate prices wouldn't be so high! Most of the people that complain about CA have never lived here!

#49 4 years ago

FYI San Angeles is somewhere about halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles.

Given the choice, for me San Diego would be way better than anywhere near Los Angeles.

#50 4 years ago

I’ve heard good things about Birmingham, Alabama. No.. seriously.
But it’s Wisconsin for me, brother.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Long Beach, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 528 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-a-good-place-to-live?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.