basement (resized).jpg
288575649_10160184325039756_6016275617751080907_n (resized).jpg
245226865_10159726349824756_666517469508015938_n (resized).jpg
289307485_10160184325219756_4954512007318991189_n (resized).jpg
278594949_10160059896089756_8982840331547475091_n (resized).jpg
55A4E307-3C26-417A-9819-B9717DE2A57F (resized).jpeg
perth2 (resized).jpg
perth1 (resized).jpg
2019-09-30 17_19_42-predator movie - Saferbrowser Image Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png
1558114430499_charles-phoenix-kodachrome-collection-catalina-1957 (resized).jpg
589C3E95-17F9-4D29-B89D-32038B29DDED (resized).jpeg
There are 528 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I like Central PA but traffic along I-81 & I-83 is really starting to be a bit of a mess. We have traveled to all 48 states & we still like this area better than most places we have visited. I love to visit other areas but I wouldn't want to live in most of those areas. It seems we have the "best of all worlds" here. Four seasons but winter isn't super nasty and summer only has 15 or 20 days over 90 degrees (most years). Nice amount of rain to keep plants and grass alive yet not raining all the time. ETC
Plenty of decent paying jobs yet housing cost are not bad. Plenty of good food, places to visit, etc.

And don't forget Skip:
PA remains one of the few states that does NOT tax your retirement income.
That explains much of the exodus up from MD and VA - as well as the much lower taxes here!
(You may need to look around some, as our school property taxes can vary significantly from district-to-district and area-to-area).

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was going 90 MPH all night and it still wouldn't end.
The most majestic place in the USA I have seen runs along the Rogue River.
Google it if you don't know where that is.
[quoted image]

Southern Oregon sucks:

Rains 90% of the time.
High taxes.
Too close to California.
Super expensive housing.
Very cold winters with Chicago style snow storms.
Hot summers for 3 months.
Water rationing.
Earth quakes in the near future, maybe even a tornado or two.
Smelly people from the PCT in town during the summers.
2 pack a day habit from forest fires for a couple of months a year.
California vagrants from Spring until Fall.
Rivers are covered in rafters and kayakers which harass all the wild salmon.
Nothing to do or see.

#53 4 years ago

How bout New Mexico?

#54 4 years ago

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpgOK then. As Dorothy said "there's no place like home"

#55 4 years ago

Werewolves

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

How bout New Mexico?

I had to take a big roundabout off the highway because of a fuel spill and ended up in the neatest little town and ate the most flavorful steak I ever had.

Wish I could remember the name of that town, but i'll never forget that steak. Super nice people too.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

i'll never forget that steak

Werewolf

#58 4 years ago

This is an interesting thought exercise. I have often thought the same thing. If I had the means, but not unlimited where would I move with ideal weather (not humid and no snow), stuff to do, and not be too expensive (California used to be this, but not anymore), away from reoccuring natural disasters, and not considering family ties. Even though I have never been, I have thought possibly New Mexico or Arizona. Too bad though, I'm not that adventurous to uproot the family and leave our family ties. Of course, if I won a big lottery this would be real.

#59 4 years ago

Tasty werewolf!

The town was very surreal.

#60 4 years ago

I'd be more afraid of the skinwalkers.

#61 4 years ago

Come to Michigan, they said. Lower cost of living, good wages and jobs, they said. Forgot to mention -20F temps and 100" of lake effect snowfall each year. Oh well. Been here almost 30 years and love it anyways.

2014-02-17 17.29.21 (resized).jpg2014-02-17 17.29.21 (resized).jpg
#62 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The only thing Cali has going for it is Odin, NorCalrealtor, Robt and my buddy Nimblepin

I may join em’ outta here.
gotta get me an acre or three and some peace.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Come to Michigan, they said. Lower cost of living, good wages and jobs, they said. Forgot to mention -20F temps and 100" of lake effect snowfall each year. Oh well. Been here almost 30 years and love it anyways.[quoted image]

I’ve been to Tahoe a couple times to play in the snow. It was like 20 degrees, I almost died

#64 4 years ago

You don't make this easy. With all your stipulations and don't want cold, crowds, but still want a decent income.

Are you OK with bugs? Lots of bugs?

#65 4 years ago

Where’s a nice place to live and safely raise a family that’s not too cold and umm how should I say this...not a congested coastal state but still has a good median income?

1509B5C0-5866-4F11-ABE2-2130598DE569.gif1509B5C0-5866-4F11-ABE2-2130598DE569.gif
#66 4 years ago

somewhere where there is free health care [any other country in the world] and a place were pot is legal. probably Canada . I have to look into that eventually!!!!

#67 4 years ago

I chose Florida for the following reasons.

1) Clean Air Everyday from Oceans.
2) No Snow
3) Low Taxes, no State Income Tax.
4) Low Housing Cost.....(Plenty under $150K with $1500 Taxes)
5) 2 Different Oceans within an Hour ish

The Bad

1) 3 months of bad heat.
2) Bugs, Snakes, and Gators
3) Hurricanes.

A Home is a box, and Family makes it. Ive always shared dont be a slave to a Mortgage....

For the reasons that a $40K salary can support a nice place to live, easy commute, and plenty to do,
living a life without a rat race commute, or never enough $$$, Ive been very happy.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You don't make this easy. With all your stipulations and don't want cold, crowds, but still want a decent income.
Are you OK with bugs? Lots of bugs?

This isn’t easy at all which is why I turned to the smartest people in the world...

#69 4 years ago

This isn’t easy at all which is why I turned to the smartest people in the world...

Well, I've been looking my whole life for what you are asking except I like to be close to an ocean.

Anywhere that is nice and still warm in the USA where you can make a decent living, the secret is out and will cost money. You don't want cold leaves only the most southern states. You don't want bugs eliminate Texas and east of that.

So all that's left is

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#70 4 years ago

Pinside.

LTG : )

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from smognote:

somewhere where there is free health care [any other country in the world] and a place were pot is legal. probably Canada . I have to look into that eventually!!!!

Free

#72 4 years ago

Seattle. Beautiful place to live. So much outdoor activity if you are that type, and so many powerhouse corporation(microsoft,amazon,nintendo,starbucks,etc) to work for. And it doesn't rain as much as ppl tend to believe.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I chose Florida for the following reasons.
1) Clean Air Everyday from Oceans.
2) No Snow
3) Low Taxes, no State Income Tax.
4) Low Housing Cost.....(Plenty under $150K with $1500 Taxes)
5) 2 Different Oceans within an Hour ish
The Bad
1) 3 months of bad heat.
2) Bugs, Snakes, and Gators
3) Hurricanes.
A Home is a box, and Family makes it. Ive always shared dont be a slave to a Mortgage....
For the reasons that a $40K salary can support a nice place to live, easy commute, and plenty to do,
living a life with a rat race commute, or never enough $$$, Ive been very happy.

I have spent several months in Florida over the past couple years and four things that would turn me off to living there would be:

!) NO BASEMENTS so no big ass gameroom in the basement like here in the northeast
2) Those dam little lizards that are all over & the bugs including termites that seem to love pinball machines.
3) The weather - very hot during the summer and even pretty hot spring & fall so you basically only have about 4 decent months and that is when Florida is crazy busy because of the "snow birds". If the heat isn't bad enough toss in a hurricane every couple years to keep things interesting.
4) Traffic is insane in most areas.

Otherwise Florida wouldn't be a bad swamp to live in.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, I've been looking my whole life for what you are asking except I like to be close to an ocean.
Anywhere that is nice and still warm in the USA where you can make a decent living, the secret is out and will cost money. You don't want cold leaves only the most southern states. You don't want bugs eliminate Texas and east of that.
So all that's left is[quoted image]

Wife wants Hawaii bad...I’m too much of a car nut, got transmissions and engines everywhere...damn tire machine in the corner...would have to give all that up

#75 4 years ago

How about lovey San Francisco ?
3042BDDD-EA44-422D-97B5-1FDB44AE313B (resized).jpeg3042BDDD-EA44-422D-97B5-1FDB44AE313B (resized).jpeg

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

How about lovey San Francisco ?
[quoted image]

Freedom Baby

#77 4 years ago

Table Rock Lake in southwest Missouri, lake front home with a dock is my dream!

#78 4 years ago

Wife wants Hawaii bad...I’m too much of a car nut, got transmissions and engines everywhere...damn tire machine in the corner...would have to give all that up

Not at all. Once you get inland a little bit there is plenty of cheap farm land with rusty old cars everywhere.

It's called living the dream.

12316034_web1_junk-sea-180613-P2 (resized).jpg12316034_web1_junk-sea-180613-P2 (resized).jpghawaii807050318AR_b (resized).jpghawaii807050318AR_b (resized).jpg
#79 4 years ago

Tennessee and Texas and probably many of the southern states. Tennessee has crazy low taxes compared to most. I personally say anywhere that is run by conservatives seems to be safer and have much lower taxes and crime rate.

#80 4 years ago

Alaska is where it's at!

#81 4 years ago

2nd generation Arizona native, I've got to say that aside from being a little tired of the color brown and cacti, it's a pretty darn good place to live. Especially if you can swing a cabin up north for the summer's and a place in the Phoenix area for the rest of the year.

Great cost of living, great people, little to no weather issues, wide open spaces, ocean a few hours away, good job selection, several highly rated school districts, beautiful northern Arizona woods for hiking and camping, plenty of lakes, all the big sports teams.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I have spent several months in Florida over the past couple years and four things that would turn me off to living there would be:
!) NO BASEMENTS so no big ass gameroom in the basement like here in the northeast
2) Those dam little lizards that are all over & the bugs including termites that seem to love pinball machines.
3) The weather - very hot during the summer and even pretty hot spring & fall so you basically only have about 4 decent months and that is when Florida is crazy busy because of the "snow birds". If the heat isn't bad enough toss in a hurricane every couple years to keep things interesting.
4) Traffic is insane in most areas.
Otherwise Florida wouldn't be a bad swamp to live in.

Id rather have a larger square footage on ground level for games....easier than getting in a basement. But other than Pins, Basements are Nice.
The Lizards are cool, but I can see them being a New invader to some, the bugs genuinely suck.
But the weather/heat, also depends on where in the state. On the Gulf coast, if its 95 degrees, the ocean breeze makes it very comfortable.
at Disney, it sucks. The heat in Orlando that hurts is from June through September, about 4 months. October and may, the highs are in the Low 80s...
traffic sucks everywhere, but if one has to commute...its terrible.

Nonetheless, like everywhere else, Id take CA except for the cost, and Id dive into North Carolina....Just like O-din...Need an Ocean, Something of a Primal need to walk the beach, hit the waves, and dive/snorkel.

#83 4 years ago

This is a tough one. I've often thought about escaping California as well, but to where?

Pros:
California has amazing weather.
The beach.
The mountains.
Theme parks, museums, zoos, etc. stuff to do and see

Cons
Government is run by lefty a-holes who impose ridiculous crap on us all the time
Schools are run by idiots. Forcing very small children to learn about weird sex and other BS
EXPENSIVE to live here, taxed to death
Fires, Quakes, Traffic, Illegal Aliens running amuck in sanctuary cities

I'm in SO. California so its a little more conservative here but i don't know for how long.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Forcing very small children to learn about weird sex

Repulsive isn’t it?

Pacman isn’t joking about that...

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I've often thought about escaping California as well, but to where?

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#86 4 years ago

Repulsive isn’t it?
Pacman isn’t joking about that...

Yep.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Not Colorado. It’s terrible. Horrible weather. People are mean...in a real nasty sort of way too. Nothing to do recreation wise. No pinball scene. Just awful.

Terrible humidity, awful education system, traffic worse than LA, pollution worse than Riverside. Plus it's full of dope smokers and Californians, but i repeat myself.

#88 4 years ago

If I could get out of NJ, I would in a heartbeat and be headed to South Carolina. Love it down there.

#89 4 years ago

I'm just going to say it's getting time to make this a reality and leave it at that.

#90 4 years ago

Where’s a nice place to live and safely raise a family that’s not too cold and umm how should I say this...not a congested coastal state but still has a good median income?

You have to look at places that travel is not easy but yet desirable. On my short list is Branson, Bentonville and Durango. All offer amazing outdoor activities. There are drawbacks on each. If you want to know more PM me.

#91 4 years ago

Minnesota for the Spring, Summer and Fall. Florida, Arizona, Vegas or Cruises in the Winter. Unfortunately the politics in Minnesota are ruining the state, and Omar is trying to ruin the country.

#92 4 years ago

Forchristsakes you guys

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Forchristsakes you guys

Meet the new boss, not quite the same as the old boss.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Meet the new boss, not quite the same as the old boss.[quoted image]

Who is that?

Christopher Walken?

#95 4 years ago

LOL why are all the Colorado guys saying not to move there? Don't want to share your stash?

#96 4 years ago

I can drive four hours to Massachusetts

Quoted from PACMAN:

LOL why are all the Colorado guys saying not to move there? Don't want to share your stash?

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

#98 4 years ago

No matter where you go, you have to choose at least one bad thing to live with.

Snow
Heat
Humidity
Natural Disasters
Taxes
Politics

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Kidding aside...pinside has actually nixed Colorado off my list, and I’ve got a crapload of family there

#100 4 years ago

Grew up and spent my first 26 years in Manhattan, NYC. Then came out here. Retired and not going anywhere. Very nice in my area about 20 miles from the water. The state is control crazy and too liberal, but the weather is perfect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 528 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wheres-a-good-place-to-live/page/2?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.