New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 244114)

Where you at with physical media? (CDs, DVDs, Records)

By Rascal_H

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spyderturbo007
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic poll

“Where you at with physical media? (CDs, DVDs, Records)”

• I don’t collect any physical media. 9 votes
    12%
  • Still collect physical media 38 votes
    51%
  • Still have all my physical media but stream my entertainment mostly 27 votes
    36%

(74 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

36F87285-097E-4E12-BBD8-240C6624B4B7 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

I have this internal battle going on. I love physical media, but I hate clutter. I sold off all DVDs years ago but I just bought the complete set of Twilight Zone on VHS. Effing VHS tapes! I don’t own any compact discs but have a ton of vinyl. I can’t explain it.

Do you still have large physical media collections or do you get everything from the cloud?

36F87285-097E-4E12-BBD8-240C6624B4B7 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

if i think i will watch a movie more than once, i will buy it
dont usually listen to music, so the radio suits me there

#3 1 year ago

I buy every blu-ray of the movies I love...a huge collection, and I always will prefer physical media for movies and also I still enjoy having CDs and vinyl of the music I enjoy, though I do upload it all onto a music player (I still use an iPod, sadly).

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I buy every blu-ray of the movies I love...a huge collection, and I always will prefer physical media for movies and also I still enjoy having CDs and vinyl of the music I enjoy, though I do upload it all onto a music player (I still use an iPod, sadly).

Exact same here although at this point it takes alot for me to buy a bluray. There just aren't that many movies I'd watch more than once so we usually just rent them off iTunes. I probably have over 1,000 CDs and we have some vinyl all on an iPod and backed up on an external HDD. I would actually consider going to a spotify or something but I like actually owning the album and I listen to alot of punk bands that aren't on those platforms. We also can't connect to wifi at work with non-company devices so I can use my ipod all day where as with a streaming service I'd chew through data.

#5 1 year ago

I have a large vinyl collection, a bunch of 45s to rotate through my jukebox, a bunch of CDs I bought for cheap to fill up a 300 disc player, and a bunch of 4K Blueray movies with Dolby Atmos sound. I also still have my old cassettes and DVDs that are in the storage room.

I do listen to music from downloaded FLAC files when I feel the need for super nice quality, listen to Spotify when it is convenient, and watch Netflix occasionally.

I love physical media, but convenience for myself or guests wins out sometimes.

#6 1 year ago

Haven't watched a movie on disk in years until recently a friend brought a Blu-ray over. I had almost forgotten about FBI warnings and disk menus - LOL. Everything I own gets immediately ripped uncompressed to a server and runs off of Plex. Even my console games are digital downloads. If I never change another media disk in my life, I would not be disappointed.

#7 1 year ago

For movies, VHS, DVD, Laser Disc, and Blue Ray.
For music, 8-Track, Cassette, Vinyl, and CD.

#8 1 year ago

I still have DVDs but it would take a big release for me to buy one.
Got rid of my LD disks/players years ago. Finally through away my last SVHS player maybe 2 years ago.
Download music unless It has to be a DVD.
Was never into Vinyl.
I prefer to buy games physically so I can sell them, but dont do much gaming anymore.

#9 1 year ago

Wish I had physical games. Lost everything I was playing when I cancelled Game Pass.

#10 1 year ago

I am a former radio DJ - when my wife and I moved into our house (that we had just expanded), I put all of my 25,000 CDs and 6,000 LPs in one room in the house, where we could play them from any room to any other room. Multiple cd / DVD players, multiplexed across multiple sets of speakers. We did it... maybe 4 times. 3 times for a party.

Then I figured it was way too much so we scaled down to have a “music room”. Turntable, CD player, my best Advent speakers, etc. we used that for quite a while, before I finally looked at my extensive digital music collection (almost NONE of the CDs were digitized yet) and just got rid of all the CDs. Ripped most, got rid of some, many made it into a series of 10 huge CD albums I still rarely look at.

Everything went into ITunes. Now we can still play to any speaker in the house, but it’s from a phone or pad. I don’t miss the bulk, the dust, the lack of space.

My really really really important CDs I’ve kept intact - that is - albums I’ve played on, or friends of Mine, or are otherwise important to me. That’s probably 150 cases. Everything else is gone.

Never got rid of the vinyl . Hehe

#11 1 year ago

Old school here. Still collecting albums.

#12 1 year ago

I buy and sell all types of physical media. Rascal_H you should come see me at the next record collector show in Dedham. Just sold an original 45 RPM of "Pinball Anonymous" by the Willis Brothers (Starday 730), but I have other 45s related to coin-op machines available for sale. I could also bring some to Pintastic New England in anyone is interested.
.................David Marston

#13 1 year ago

Completely digital. Way more convenient for me. Have Sonos in most rooms as well as AppleTV. Growing up, I had a huge comic collection and got rid of those as well. Read everything through comiXology no matter where I am in in the world, at the push of a button. Could not be happier.

#14 1 year ago

Also completely digital. If I have my iPad Pro and switch, I can consume just about any media.

#15 1 year ago

Vinyl + pinball, everything else digital!

#16 1 year ago

I still have my CDs from high school. After my parents split up, my mom gave me my dad's record collection. I called him up to see if he'd want them back, but he was happy I had them. I've gotten alot more since then.

#17 1 year ago

I keep a 50 disc binder of cds in my car. Still have 100s of dvds. Had 20 liquor store boxes of vinyl that I sold recently. Kept a very small collection. Love 45s. Huge pile of them also.

#18 1 year ago

I have a record store and make a living off selling cds, dvds, vinyl, stereo equipment, books. I have this battle in my head daily.

As far i can tell physical media is here to stay. Books went digital now book sales are re bounding, ipods came around now vinyl is back. Now we are going through the movie streaming thing. We will see but the pattern shows that for convience people will stick with streaming. But real collectos will keep on going.

I think much of this digital vs analog battle equates to pinball as well. We live such digital lives that for us to be social, step away from the screen and share genuine human interaction weather thats playing in a pinball tournament or going to your buddies and spinning records. That is whats going to keep physical media alive.

I will say my cd and dvd sales are trending up. Vinyl is crazy and remains steady. Books are making the biggest return though. I would have never believed it. But my numbers say otherwise.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I have this internal battle going on. I love physical media, but I hate clutter. I sold off all DVDs years ago but I just bought the complete set of Twilight Zone on VHS. Effing VHS tapes! I don’t own any compact discs but have a ton of vinyl. I can’t explain it.
Do you still have large physical media collections or do you get everything from the cloud?[quoted image]

Rascalh.

We refurbish and sell vcrs with new belts and realign them and sell them all the time for $100. Vcr/dvd combos sell for $150-$200!!

#20 1 year ago

The perfect wedding gift for someone you don't really care for: NIB VCR

#21 1 year ago

I have lots of LPs and cds, but i dont listen to them much these days. I am a big movie guy, so i have tons of blurays and a few dvds. I only buy blurays now...and only when it is a movie i REALLY like.

I also have a large cache of videogames.

I am a big believer in physical media.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Haven't watched a movie on disk in years until recently a friend brought a Blu-ray over. I had almost forgotten about FBI warnings and disk menus - LOL. Everything I own gets immediately ripped uncompressed to a server and runs off of Plex. Even my console games are digital downloads. If I never change another media disk in my life, I would not be disappointed.

+1
for movies/tv shows.

for audio, SONOS in almost every room, and two zones outside around the pool, I am a PANDORA subscriber and sometimes utilize Amazon Prime for music.

#23 1 year ago

I still rent DVDs from Netflix.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

I still rent DVDs from Netflix.

I was a Blockbuster video subscriber when they were trying to copy Netflix. I never thought that was going away.

Yesterday I picked up a free VCR and the first thing I watched Star Wars Special Edition. Had a funny mini-doc at the beginning with Lucas justifying all his changes to the film. Lo Fi all the way!

#25 1 year ago

Anyone else out there miss going to blockbuster? Walking around in circles. Picking a movie out with your woman. Get home only to realize the DVD is so scratched you have to drive back to the movie store and hope they still have a copy? Ahhh, good times

#26 1 year ago

Blurays and UHD disks I buy. The Blurays get ripped and transferred to my server. The UHDs get played on my UHD player because I don't have the ability to play them through Kodi.

With a 125" screen in my theater, I want the absolute highest quality audio and video for movies. You can't get that by streaming, even if the feed says it's 4k. It's not even close to the same quality.

I stream pretty much all my music.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 22.00
Hardware
The MOD Couple
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 15.00
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 999.00
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside