(Topic ID: 167624)

Where will the pinball hobby be in 10 years?

By Rondogg

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF6D07F9-0BA0-401D-B530-D9CC73FF37F8 (resized).jpeg
    281011E9-CDCF-47CF-85BA-8A2F470E1315 (resized).jpeg
    CEEC55F4-682D-4BCE-BFF0-30184EECF1D6 (resized).jpeg
    1a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    SB (resized).jpg
    williams pinball sales (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Monkey (resized).jpg
    Satellite (resized).jpg
    image-10 (resized).jpg
    image-21 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nwpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

They don 't, that is the problem. They are just the latest fad and will die a slow death like discos and any number of other businesses. It is the cycle of life.....nothing against them, they will just be replaced by something newer and more hip.

See, I would have said that 10 or 15 years ago when barcades started popping up... but now it seems bigger than a fad, we have more than ever in my city and nearby towns now, at least a dozen and they all seem to be going strong.

#230 7 years ago

What I see here in the Seattle area is more and more barcades, more and more pins in regular bars and restaurants, growing numbers of casual pinball players and collectors, and a growing competitive pinball scene with multiple pinball leagues, open pinball tournaments about every night of the week in a different bar or arcade, and bigger turnouts than ever at tournaments, from the smaller bar ones to the big ones at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show and NW Pinball Championships, as well as people travelling from here to Portland and B.C. for tournaments. Our show had a fairly significant jump in attendees this year, I think we hit 3,000 unique individuals for the first time. I really feel like there is a new pinball renaissance that's still growing and spreading out to the cities that don't have a lot of tournaments and league play. Sure, it will slow down again eventually, but there are a ton of people in the 18-29 age range playing in tournaments and going to shows that will be buying our games when we sell them off eventually.

#235 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

And that's the thing, you're in a huge city. Seattle has always been way ahead of the curve as in the pinball scene it seemed to me, and that's awesome news, but can it spread to the middle?

I think as long as we are replacing current pinball fans with new ones and the numbers stay the same or increase, then the hobby continues to thrive, regardless of where it happens. I feel like pinball was kept alive in the 90s in part because it was still doing well in Europe, as evidenced by how many 90s games we are now re-importing to the States and my travels there last Summer, that's completely changed, where now pinball has shrunk in Europe and grown in the States. But yes, I think pinball will grow again in the middle of the US as people start pinball leagues and host pinball tournaments in public spaces, I think there is a huge growth market for it, regardless of what happens in the home market. Especially with a few technological advances like lcd screens and game scores posting immediately online (which makes things competitive even when playing alone).

#240 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

And that's why I said EMs are worthless. If you want an EM all you have to do is look on CL and you can find more than one nearby for a couple hundred or less. People are almost giving away games because no one will come take them. The two I bought were less than 150 bucks together.

Weird, totally different story where I live. EMs have increased pretty dramatically in price over the past few years and seem highly collectible. I never see a working EM for sale for less than $600, usually they are in the $800-$1200 range. It just goes to show how much prices can vary geographically.

#270 7 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Is that happening? Do kids ages 1-16 know pinball? Ever played pinball? Even want to play pinball?
    I am not counting our kids, pinheads kids are few, and quite frankly my kids play pinball, but probably prefer Xbox 360

Do you go to barcades or play in pinball tournaments at all? While it's anecdotal, most of the people I see playing pinball in barcades and in tournaments seem to be in their early 20s through 30s. I don't think kids under 17 are getting exposed to it like they used to, but once they turn 21 they sure are, there are far more pinball machines in bars today then there were 15 years ago, at least in my town.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nwpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-will-the-pinball-hobby-be-in-10-years?tu=nwpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.