(Topic ID: 167624)

Where will the pinball hobby be in 10 years?

By Rondogg

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF6D07F9-0BA0-401D-B530-D9CC73FF37F8 (resized).jpeg
    281011E9-CDCF-47CF-85BA-8A2F470E1315 (resized).jpeg
    CEEC55F4-682D-4BCE-BFF0-30184EECF1D6 (resized).jpeg
    1a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    SB (resized).jpg
    williams pinball sales (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Monkey (resized).jpg
    Satellite (resized).jpg
    image-10 (resized).jpg
    image-21 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 7 years ago

So much junk being spewed by people who are passionate about the hobby, but with no data to back any of it up.

What do we know?
    Arcades are still basically dead. Pinball is even more of a ghost in what few arcades remain.
    Barcades are doing well, but are geared toward the 21+ crowd due to their nature. Possibly a fad, time will tell.

The hobby has been increasing since the early 2000s. Today we have more vendors, more repo parts, and this has helped cause a surge in prices.

What we don't have are new techs. Probably one of the largest hurdles in this hobby is having a dedicated person you can call up to repair your broken machine.
    These machines are complicated. It takes a lot of tools and knowledge to keep them running. This requires a passion on the part of their owners to invest time/resources.

What would be useful is a poll to show the age of various owners. My anecdotal experience is that the new blood tends to be mid 30s to mid 40s. These are the guys who have disposable income and also experienced machines as a kid. What I do not see are younger people. At 29, I am no spring chicken and I can only think of a handful of people I have encountered that are younger than me. Of those, many inherited their love of pinball through their father who collected which is a pretty small pool.

In 10 years you will see some of the people who got in during the late 90's early 2k's age out. Those machines will just get sold off into other collections. 20 years many of those dropping bucks now will be out due to age. There are things we cannot know now, but what happens when clive/john wart/rob anthony retire? What about Terry?

There are a lot of people that have enabled our hobby to flourish. No one knows who or if someone else will step up to replace them. If parts get hard to come by and boards cannot be repaired then the hobby dies. If the next generation doesn't take an active interest, the hobby dies. Anyone who thinks they know what to expect is dreaming.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-will-the-pinball-hobby-be-in-10-years?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.