(Topic ID: 167624)

Where will the pinball hobby be in 10 years?

By Rondogg

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF6D07F9-0BA0-401D-B530-D9CC73FF37F8 (resized).jpeg
    281011E9-CDCF-47CF-85BA-8A2F470E1315 (resized).jpeg
    CEEC55F4-682D-4BCE-BFF0-30184EECF1D6 (resized).jpeg
    1a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    SB (resized).jpg
    williams pinball sales (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Monkey (resized).jpg
    Satellite (resized).jpg
    image-10 (resized).jpg
    image-21 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider air_pinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago

It's funny how some people always complain about kids not being into pinball.

Well guess what? It's our job to expose it to them. Once kids see and actually play pinball, they generally like it, because from their perspective, it is new and different.

I've watched many kids come into the local pinball arcade and their eyes just light up. You can tell they've never seen a pinball game before.

As more of us buy them for home use, the potential is there to pass it on to our kids and their friends. My 4 year old like video games, and guess what? He likes pinball too!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm constantly exposing everything I have to kids anytime I can get them in my basement.

I'll bet you do......

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Kid's aren't going to give a crap about pinball if they keep on doing grandaddy themes that's for sure. That is where pinball has lost it's relevance to ever interesting a new generation. Sure they might play their grandpas machines, but there is no way they are going to take it seriously.

My 4 year old loves Ghostbusters. He would love Batman 66 as well.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So they are making themes that appeal to fat balding middle aged gen x rs and 4 year olds. Whoopee!

Nah, that describes you Boomers.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not a boomer or a gen xr. I was born in between. Too young to hang with the old folks and too wise to live like gen xrs do.

Well then, you should love Batman 66!

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Why? I watched the show 50 years ago. And have seen it hundreds of times since. Sure it's the best idea they have come up with lately, but if that's what it takes to keep pinball afloat you can count me out.

Well, aren't you the hipster 50 year old! Are you wanting a Kayne West or Kim Kardashian pin?

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think it's important to support location pinball as well. Not everyone has the means or space to own a machine but most everyone can drop some coins into a machine and play for a few minutes. Every time I see a location machine I try to play it no matter what shape it's in.

Yup.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

All well and good, but that won't put pinball in the mainstream. If there is not an economic driver that puts pinball back on the streets en masse, pinball won't ever be mainstream again as it was at its peak.

Doesn't have to be as hip as a PS4 to be healthy and survive.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Honestly, I spent a lot of time living with the surf crowd. Dwelling in the past is not one of their past times. It's all about the next swell, or the next cool thing in pop culture. Get on it before it's no longer relevant. I love pinball and I have old games now. But have decided I would rather collect antiques than be one.

So....Point Break the pin?

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bearcat:

I think that pinball is on the precipice of a new era... morphing from game to full immersive experience. Hobbit, WOZ and TBL are only scratching the surface of what is possible. Then again, I could be talking out of my ass.

Or it could go retro!

40840347_1_x (resized).jpg40840347_1_x (resized).jpg

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

.???
    He is a pinhead with money... He is exactly sterns demographic. They just need to work harder to get the money from some.

The seem to be doing just fine......

#99 7 years ago

Pinball has been around since the 18th century.

It's not going anywhere, folks.

800px-Early_Pinball (resized).jpg800px-Early_Pinball (resized).jpg

#135 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

That already happened years ago. An investment company already owns a large percentage of the company.
    I don't know what the split is.
    But whatever it is, I guarantee there is arrangements in place for what happens when Gary decides to exit the business.
    rd

Yeah. It's called George Gomez.

#143 7 years ago

Another strike against pins on location that nobody carries money anymore.

Slap Apple Pay, Google Pay, and other wireless, secure payments on them, and they will get played more.

Even all the vending machines where I work have this. I wouldn't be buying from them 1/10th as much if they only took money.

There is nothing more convenient (some would say insidious) than using my Apple Watch to pay for something. Immediate, seamless, secure.

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

data shows otherwise.
    We have payrange on numerous pins and it has yet to even pay off the cost of the devices let alone the percentage they take off the top to "manage" the account.

Payrange sucks. Too much setup, and too specific to coin-op.

Apple Pay, and others are seamless. You already have them setup. Plug and Play.

#160 7 years ago

Very true for the most part.

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sure are a lot of people still pumping money in vending and food machines. Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of them are pinballers too.

Dwindling rapidly....

Only old people....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider air_pinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-will-the-pinball-hobby-be-in-10-years?tu=air_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.