(Topic ID: 198127)

Where to stay one night in Washington, DC?

By boagman

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Budman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hey folks. I'll be staying one night in Washington, DC (flying in to Dulles) from the 26th-27th, and I'm wondering if there are any local recommendations for places to stay. Bonus if there's pinball nearby available to play! More important, though, is clean, safe, and inexpensive. Thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago

Lincoln room of the White House.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

DC is a bit of a ride from Dulles especially if it's during rush hour(s). Are you staying near Dulles or are you actually going to be in DC? The are lots of very nice (and pricey) hotels in DC. JW Marriot has beautiful views of the Whitehouse area.

#4 6 years ago

FYI, Dulles is nowhere near DC so expect a long cab ride. You might want to consider an airport shuttle to Reagan National which is in Arlington.

Check out pinballmap.com for games to play in the area though. There's a few breweries reasonably close to Dulles (< 10 minutes) with games. If you can make it into DC there's a bunch of bars with games with Lyman's probably having the best selection but it's farthest from Dulles.

#5 6 years ago

Dulles is about a 40 min drive from D.C. proper, so you're looking at a ~$75 cab ride, or a good chunk of time on mediocre public transportation.
    http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/transportation-washington-d-c-dulles-airport/

Unfortunately all of the nice hotels I know in D.C. are pricy, so I cannot advise you there, but make sure you have time to come into the city vs. staying in the (very boring) Virginia suburbs and saving time/hassle/cost traveling.

[EDIT: heh, everyone else had the same thought as me while I was writing my post, sorry to pile on.]

#6 6 years ago

Gaylord National Resort. Drops the mic...

#7 6 years ago

Hmm. Well, no I'm not actually going to be going "to town", then. I'll just have to stay near Dulles, because I'm flying out of there the following day on a flight to Atlanta. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth my time/money going that far.

With that in mind: any suggestions around Dulles? Is there pinball around Dulles?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

any suggestions around Dulles? Is there pinball around Dulles?

You might try asking in the D.C. metro sale/trade thread. Obviously this is off-topic so I'd keep it short and sweet, and maybe ask people to PM you with advice, but they'll know good places to play around the airport if there are any, and might have useful hotel advice as well.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-fs-in-maryland-right-now-maryland-fs-thread/page/142

#9 6 years ago

Dulles is surrounded by businesses and not much by way of city life. Reston is close to Dulles and is hot and lots of growth. I don't know about pinball but there's a lot of restaurants and bars.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Hmm. Well, no I'm not actually going to be going "to town", then. I'll just have to stay near Dulles, because I'm flying out of there the following day on a flight to Atlanta. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth my time/money going that far.
    With that in mind: any suggestions around Dulles? Is there pinball around Dulles?

Red Zone Grill is about 30 minutes from the airport. The current lineup is Dialed In!, Dr Who, Spiderman, Bobby Orr's Power Play, Monster Bash, and Metallica. If you give me notice i might be able to stop by, buy you a beer.

#11 6 years ago

Stay at the Hyatt in Reston Town Center. 5 mins from the airport and a bunch of restauarants are right there. For pinball, you hav VUK pizza in Bethesda which has a lot of good games and Lyman's in DC. Have never been to Redzone.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Stay at the Hyatt in Reston Town Center. 5 mins from the airport and a bunch of restauarants are right there. For pinball, you hav VUK pizza in Bethesda which has a lot of good games and Lyman's in DC. Have never been to Redzone.

Lyman's and VÜK are better than Red Zone, but they're both like an hour from the airport.

#13 6 years ago

Air and space museum is near Dulles and is awesome!

#14 6 years ago

Definetly worth it - plus it's free

#15 6 years ago

Space shuttle, sr71 blackbird. Definitely worth a visit.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Procrastinator:

Air and space museum is near Dulles and is awesome!

+1 I love the Uvar Haley Air and Space museum. It's at Dulles and has free admission.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from JBK:

+1 I love the Uvar Haley Air and Space museum. It's at Dulles and has free admission.

It's called the Udvar-Hazy Center, but regardless it is very cool. No pinball of course ...

#18 6 years ago

Great suggestions, folks! Keep 'em coming, and thank you!

#19 6 years ago

Do yourself a favor... skip Pinball and go to the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Annex (right next to the airport). Awesome place... world class collection of amazing historical planes and spacecraft...

You'll thank me later.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Red Zone Grill is about 30 minutes from the airport. The current lineup is Dialed In!, Dr Who, Spiderman, Bobby Orr's Power Play, Monster Bash, and Metallica. If you give me notice i might be able to stop by, buy you a beer.

Red Zone is your best bet - there are a small handful of other places a bit closer but they don't hold a candle to red zone. Beware though; the mMonster Bash is pretty bashed... the other games are in reasonably good condition. DI is pristine, obviously

It is still fairly far from Dulles but not bad for a night out. A taxi will be a little costly. I really do not like supporting Uber but it may save you a couple of bucks

#21 6 years ago

I'll definitely plan to do the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Annex...sounds like fun!

I'm thinking about Red Zone, if only for some time on a Dialed In!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

I'll definitely plan to do the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Annex...sounds like fun!
    I'm thinking about Red Zone, if only for some time on a Dialed In!

Udvar-Hazy is a must , imo. They have so many pieces of history there- the Concorde, the Ebola Gay, a SPACE SHUTTLE for cryin out loud! Don't miss the close encounters of the 3rd kind mothership in the space shuttle room.

They're even restoring a prototype German flying wing in the rehab hanger. It is amazing stuff.

#23 6 years ago

Don't miss Udvar-Hazy, right next to airport and unbelievable. I believe they also have (or once had) the front/back dual prop WWII Dornier.

I live near the airport, have WoZ, MMR, Hobbit, and Simpsons. You're welcome to come by for dinner/beer/play.

I've never played Bash or Spider-Man, so like Pez I'm game to buy you a beer at Red Zone if you prefer that option.

Only caveat to home/Zone is my work schedule can sometimes be nuts...need to reserve the right to cancel. Odds of cancelling are small but still merit mention.

PM me if you're interested. Local Pinsiders are also welcome if the date works out.

#24 6 years ago

If you stay at the Hyatt at Reston Town Center there is a train station right there to go into the city if you wish. I believe it's a 20 minute ride.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-stay-one-night-in-washington-dc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.