3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinmanguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

It wasn't until recently a got myself back into pinball but due to location and funds I am very limited to what I can do. I really want to get to the heart of pinball and learn evreything about it and connect with fellow players. So a couple of questions:-

Is there any good resource to read/watch about pinball and it's history?
    Loved pinball back in the day but lost touch with everything so where to start?
    Ultimate goal is owning my own machine but get my daily fix of pinball by playing it virtually (PS4, Zen, etc). Is this seen as a dirty word, virtual?

#2 3 years ago

I think most consider "virtual" as a good thing, as it brought many like yourself either back into the hobby or into it as a newbie. but , IMHO, there aint nothin' like the real thing! welcome back.

#3 3 years ago

Yes it's a dirty word....but in 2015 it's necessary for the reasons stated above....check out my local buds doing there thing on Twitch..."Bro,do you even pinball".."dead flip" is another good channel on twitch....on youtube I like watching all the tnt amusements videos....Todd's a bit goofy but grows on you and is a great guy......welcome back...good luck on the machine................Joey

#4 3 years ago

Youtube "Special when Lit" I gotta say, that's one of my favorites.

#5 3 years ago

TOPCast has a lot of interviews with historic pin people. PinRepair.com in general has a TON of historic information in addition to the tech info. I don't know where I'd be without this website. http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

The Complete Pinball Book goes over history too. I believe this is the book that breaks the history down by playfield features (ie. chapter about flippers, then chapter about pop bumpers, etc.) amazon.com link »

Pinball Magazine is another very good resource for interviews and information: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/

There is no single comprehensive book or documentary that touches everything. There are good old books and articles that don't cover anything from the past decade still worth reading. I don't know anything about the Manchester scene, finding a local tournament or forum is your best bet to connect with local players. Also yes, virtual pinball is a dirty word

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, I will certainly check out all these suggestions. Hard to know where to get started as everything is new and strange at the moment. Thanks again

#7 3 years ago

Nothing beats playing a real pin but virtual is still fun. It's a great way to learn the rules and experience a pin on some level that you may never see. Pinball Arcade is what I play on my ipad and it's what got a lot of us back into pinball. Check the pin map on pinside to find locations to play pinball in your area or areas you travel.

#8 3 years ago

Pinball Arcade brought me to Pinside, and then look at my collection now.

#9 3 years ago

yeah The Pinball Arcade brought me in as well. It's great for certain things -- playing pinball on the toilet or on a train, learning rulesets of games, etc -- but compared to playing real live mechanical pinball, it's a little like looking at pictures of a steak dinner. just makes you hungry for the real thing.

#10 3 years ago

Virtual is my only option at the moment unfortunately but my ultimate goal is the machines that I loved so much in the 90's. Star Trek TNG, Terminator, Addams Family and so many more which were around in all the local pubs.

Can I ask another question whats the deal with the club section and would it be wrong of me to set a virtual Zen 2 club?

If I can't physically play pinball then playing virtually is the next best thing then, right???

#11 3 years ago

Best pinball documentary is Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball.
    https://player.vimeo.com/video/1232459

#12 3 years ago

You could post in the Virtual Pinball Club here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/virtual-pinball-club

PinballArcadeFans is a good resource to discuss virtual tables too. I think the official Zen forums have too many tech support type posts.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from addcointoplay:

It wasn't until recently a got myself back into pinball but due to location and funds I am very limited to what I can do. I really want to get to the heart of pinball and learn evreything about it and connect with fellow players. So a couple of questions:-
    Is there any good resource to read/watch about pinball and it's history?
    Loved pinball back in the day but lost touch with everything so where to start?
    Ultimate goal is owning my own machine but get my daily fix of pinball by playing it virtually (PS4, Zen, etc). Is this seen as a dirty word, virtual?

Welcome back to the hobby/sport! A lot of the suggestions here are on point. There is more and more pinball content out there every day, so you'll have a great time getting acquainted.

If virtual is all you have, I recommend The Pinball Arcade since those are real existing machines, and playing them virtually allows you to learn the rules of those actual pins.

There are plenty of streams (Including us, Http://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip), Podcasts (Coast to coast pinball, pinball podcast, one and done, spooky, this flipping podcast, etc), Forums, Tips/tricks sites (http://pintips.net/).

Good luck, have fun, and keep this hobby alive, fun, and positive!

#14 3 years ago

How close is your nearest place to play? I've always wondered what it's like to hunt for machines in the wild outside of North America.
    Nothing like a night at the pub shooting 'ball and slamming beer!

http://www.pinformer.co.uk/

#15 3 years ago

How long have you been gone? They added flippers back in '47.

I post any interesting historical finds I happen across on my site: pinballbayarea.com

Since you're in England, you should look into the Northern Lights Pinball Show and the UK Pinball League. Unfortunately, you JUST missed the 2015 show in October.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/playexpo2015/index.html

Pinball News is run by Martin Ayub, who is based out of London(?).

#16 3 years ago

Register with pinballinfo.com it's a UK based forum with a lot of players registered based near you. Pinside is great but tends to be more US focused
    Worth joining the UK pinball league, there's a Northern league
    You'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how many people are willing to open their doors and share their collections with others
    "Arcade club" is also based near you. Lots of machines and players there
    Good luck

#17 3 years ago

I'd set up visual pinball on your desktop (if it can run it) and try out tables on that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    $ 26.95
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 25.00
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 12.50
    $ 29.00
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 5.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside