(Topic ID: 3369)

Where to play pinball? Pinside needs your info!

By robin

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wtp2.jpg
    castlescoasters1.jpg
    castles11.jpg
    Screen_shot_2011-04-28_at_12.25.28_.png
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 13 years ago

Along with the new design, a new feature has been added to the Pinside called "Where to Play" (http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play). It took me quite some time to build so fingers crossed it will be a success!

More about how the location map works can be found in this blog post.

For this location map to work we need to fill up the locations database and I could really use your help in doing so! Please take a couple of minutes and add your favorite pinball location(s) to the map. As soon as there are some locations, I can remove the [test] locations and we can get this ball rolling (no pun intended).

Thanks for your time!

Screen_shot_2011-04-28_at_12.25.28_.pngScreen_shot_2011-04-28_at_12.25.28_.png

#2 13 years ago

Do you have a common data import feature of some kind? I've got more than 1100 machines indexed on my Pinball Maps application. Yes, I use IPDB index numbers, that should make things easier already.

#3 13 years ago

I just added Herm's Hot Dog Palace to the database. I am actually heading there later today to meet a friend for lunch. They have a ToM. It's dirty, but it plays well.

#4 13 years ago

Do you have a common data import feature of some kind? I've got more than 1100 machines indexed on my Pinball Maps application. Yes, I use IPDB index numbers, that should make things easier already.

Wow, that would make for a nice start! I would be very happy with the data to kickstart this new feature! I have sent you a PM with more info. Thanks for your help!

Gweempose, thanks for adding Herm's Hot Dog palace!

#5 13 years ago

Having trouble adding any machines to a new location.

#6 13 years ago

Robin, it is not allowing me to add machines to the location and therefore not able to put in a location.

#7 13 years ago

Same problems as above. Won't allow me to add machines to location.

#8 13 years ago

Hmm, that's strange. Does it give an error message? And which browser are you using?

#9 13 years ago

no error message, you just click on the title and then nothing happens. the more I looked at it, I could see a submit button but it was hidden and unclickable behind the add location or cancel buttons. It was behind the opaque black window near where the close window "X" is. But unreachable and unfunctioning on IE.

#10 13 years ago

Okay thanks for the info, Internet Explorer is always the hardest to get working, especially since I'm on a Mac. All other browsers should work fine, so if you have the option of switching to another browser...

I will investigate this issue on IE tomorrow, with my old windows laptop. But now, it's time to call it a day...

#11 13 years ago

which browser are you using

I am using Firefox. Get some rest an relaxation thanks for making a great site even better!

#12 13 years ago

It is now working fine for me in Internet Explorer. Haven't tried it on Firefox yet.

#13 13 years ago

Awesome new addition to the site... way better then any of the other pin-map sites I've tried to use. Hopefully lots of locations get entered.

#14 13 years ago

I fully support this idea and would like to help with BA locations, however, I am not sure if I can.

I did a quick copy/paste operation and the data is ooogly! We had the same problem when it was migrated out of google maps.

Also, while the portland folks probably wouldn't be opposed with the data being in more than one place, I would not assume they would be willing to do a lot of work to enable/automate it.

#15 13 years ago

Awesome feature, thanks!

#16 13 years ago

Well, it looks like I was a bit premature when I added Herm's Hot Dog Palace to the list. I met my friend there this afternoon, and much to my surprise, ToM was gone with no replacement. I was quite shocked, as this establishment has had a pin as long as I can remember. The owner told me that they recently got into a fight with the op that owned the ToM, and their current lineup of vids is provided by a different op. Apparently, he doesn't do pinball.

I had a pocket full of quarters, and I was in the mood to play some pinball, so after lunch we drove a couple miles to a place that I knew had a good lineup: WCS, ToM, AFM and Doctor Dude. Unfortunately, they were not in good shape. The left flipper on AFM was extremely weak, the trunk was broken on ToM, and WCS94 wouldn't even boot up. That being said, we still had a lot of fun.

#17 13 years ago

I did a quick copy/paste operation and the data is ooogly! We had the same problem when it was migrated out of google maps.

Thanks for your interest to help! You could always zip the data and e-mail it to me (robin at pinside dot com) so I can take a look. I'm usually pretty good at juggling data between different formats

Well, it looks like I was a bit premature when I added Herm's Hot Dog Palace to the list. I met my friend there this afternoon, and much to my surprise, ToM was gone with no replacement.

Well, as you may have seen I didn't add a 'delete' function. I though it would be better if people just update the location and remove the machine(s), keeping the location in the database. Maybe you could add a little note to the location description text, something like "this location used to have pinball machines, but there currently aren't any more".

#18 12 years ago

Well done Robin, another great addition to Pinside! We already have a similar pinball location website in the UK called "Pinformer", but this could be a lot better if members can add pins that they come across "in the wild". Unfortunately finding a working pinball to play in arcades of the UK is getting increasingly difficult.

To kick things off in the UK, I have added a couple of locations that I have recently visited.

I have to point out that I have no connection with the Pinball Parlour, but it a great place to visit for an afternoons pinball. You are always assured of a warm welcome by the owners Geoff and Pete.

How about having a rating system for the condition of the machine at the location? 5 stars for a brand new Stern or recently shopped machine, down to 1 star for a beaten up wreak with weak flippers and major faults. I know that you can put a comment about the condition against each machine listed.

#19 12 years ago

I wasn't able to add the game. Using IE8 here.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

How about having a rating system for the condition of the machine at the location?

I like the idea. I will be adding something like that in the near future - if I find some time...

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I wasn't able to add the game. Using IE8 here.

I figured out that the problem is probably caused by people being unable to see the "add game" button. This is caused by having a too small screen (1024x768). You could try to put your browser into full screen mode (press F-11 to do this) and see if that helps.

I will do some re-designing to make the location editor work better on small screen sizes.

#21 12 years ago

Well, as you may have seen I didn't add a 'delete' function. I though it would be better if people just update the location and remove the machine(s), keeping the location in the database.

Yep, that's exactly what I did. When I couldn't figure out how to dellete the location, I removed the machine. What if a place goes out of business? I assume we can just let you know and you'll remove it?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well, as you may have seen I didn't add a 'delete' function. I though it would be better if people just update the location and remove the machine(s), keeping the location in the database.

Deleting will be supported in about an hour from now. Currently building that functionality. Only the original placer of the location will be able to delete it. And the site editors, which are basically people I trust and give more rights on the Pinside, just like the forum mods.

#23 12 years ago

Only the original placer of the location will be able to delete it.

This is a very smart idea.

#24 12 years ago

The new pinside member heatmap is sweet too. Nice work Robin.

#25 12 years ago

robin, how do you get the person's avatar to show up in the quote like that?

#26 12 years ago

I added three locations, but need to visit them to get an accurate game listing.

#27 12 years ago

Robin, I am on Firefox and I hit F11 and that worked, I just couldn't see the button not on full screen, can't believe it was that simple. Thanks a lot, and there will be a lot of locations added for Nebraska soon

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from mykquillion:

Robin, I am on Firefox and I hit F11 and that worked, I just couldn't see the button not on full screen, can't believe it was that simple. Thanks a lot, and there will be a lot of locations added for Nebraska soon

Test

That is awesome. Highlight the text you want to quote and hit the quote button, it does it automatically.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Never mind, it appears to be working now. Nice touch, by the way.

#30 12 years ago

Great feature to add to the site. I'm on the road frequently and am always looking for a place to play a few games. I added pins in Wichita, Scottsdale, and of course Chicago today...

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from mykquillion:

Yea you have to hit F11 if using Firefox otherwise the add pin button does not function properly.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

New feature
    From now on, this should be automatically added to all 'quotes'!

#33 12 years ago

Robin: Can you run a PHP script? I've a feeling it's gonna take that in order to incorporate my list. The INSERT INTO locations statement would go first, then a line for the mysql_insert_row statement to fetch the new location ID number before we loop through the IPDB numbers for that location's machines.
    I apparently have a little work to do to get Canadian addresses in there as it's not picking up the postal code.

#34 12 years ago

I am now using firefox as you suggested Robin and this feature works great, added about five or six of my favorite locations to play so far, and will try to add more everyday. Could take up to a month, but if it helps even one pinsider, then it will be time well spent.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Could take up to a month, but if it helps even one pinsider, then it will be time well spent.

Good call. Please add more locations, as I have made Nebraska look like a pinball Mecca. I swear New York has some pinball. Where is the whole East coast? I know you know where a bunch of machine are, so start posting.

#36 12 years ago

Sadly, Herm's Hot Dog Palace has now been removed from the archive.

#37 12 years ago

Such a great idea,
    helps when trying to figure out what town to stay over night while traveling

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from LaughingOtter:

Robin: Can you run a PHP script? I've a feeling it's gonna take that in order to incorporate my list. The INSERT INTO locations statement would go first, then a line for the mysql_insert_row statement to fetch the new location ID number before we loop through the IPDB numbers for that location's machines.
    I apparently have a little work to do to get Canadian addresses in there as it's not picking up the postal code.

What if you just send me dumps of your databases? I could easily copy the data from there into the Pinside db. Is that an idea?

#39 12 years ago

I have updated the location window, moved some things around, it should work better now!
    And all that from the comfort of my backyard with a nice glass of South African white wine.

#40 12 years ago

Wont add a location for me... i can click the button but its not doing anything when i click it... running newest version of FireFox

#41 12 years ago

New York DOES have pinball! So does New Jersey. It's all in my Maps. I'll send the data to Robin, but for now:

http://www.laughingotter.com/pinball/maps/pinballMap-NYCPinballLeague.html

will have to do.

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from -Matt-:

Wont add a location for me... i can click the button but its not doing anything when i click it... running newest version of FireFox

Hmm, maybe I had a bit too much of that wine? I'l go and check it out. You must by now think that I'm really bad at my job but please believe me when I say I did extensive testing on the dev site before putting the changes "live" last thursday. Okay, obviously not enough but please just consider yourselves all voluntary Pinside beta-testers for the time being. And thanks for bearing with me.

Quoted from LaughingOtter:

New York DOES have pinball! So does New Jersey. It's all in my Maps. I'll send the data to Robin

Can't wait! I'm hoping to visit New York next year (first visit to the U.S.) and I would be stoked to know all the good pinball locations beforehand!

#43 12 years ago

A small update:

I have added all the locations I received from LaughingOtter. Thanks a lot! This added 300 locations to our database in one go. Well it took some hours to get it in there and match it up with Pinside's database but it works now! I tried to filter out any existing locations, but there may be some duplicates. If you find any, please let me know their URL.

I have created search functionality in the map section. You can now quickly find a location by typing part of it's name or address in a search box.

Lastly, I have added an alphabetic list of pinball locations, grouped by country.

Time for some sleep

#44 12 years ago

Castles's n Coaster's in Phoenix, Arizona has
    MB, LOTR,TOTAN,TAF,CFTBL, Batman, Spiderman, Iron man, CP, CV, POTC, RFM, Star wars ep 1, MM, TOM, Terminator 3, Simpson's pinball party, Family Guy, and 4 or 5 more I just remember playing those.

castles11.jpgcastles11.jpg castlescoasters1.jpgcastlescoasters1.jpg

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Well it took some hours to get it in there and match it up with Pinside's database but it works now! I tried to filter out any existing locations, but there may be some duplicates. If you find any, please let me know their URL.

I have tried to add 4 locations and it says they aren't in your database. How do I get around that??? They are real places with real machines. Thanks. You're tireless and wonderful, whoever you are....

#46 12 years ago

I can't seem to add a location.

Error is:
    "Location not found.

Sorry, there is no location in our database matching 'teddys-grimsby-ontario-canada'."

#47 12 years ago

I'm sorry about that, guys. There was an issue with the database, but I think I have fixed it now. I appreciate you took the time to let me know about it here, I probably wouldn't have found out myself until after the weekend.

#48 12 years ago

Cool, works now.

#49 12 years ago

New! The "where to play" index has been added to each machine's map page!
    I have also added a "featured locations" list on the "where to play" page.

wtp2.jpgwtp2.jpg

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

New! The "where to play" index has been added to each machine's map page!

Awesome idea Robin! You're the best, I need to get back to adding more locations now!

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-play-pinball-pinside-needs-your-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.