Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lurch
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-584.jpg
image-247.jpg
image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I have just started a total restoration of my Harlem Globetrotters and need to have parts plated...I am thinking in Zinc (but possibly nickel). I have a few questions:
1) Who does it? I am in central NJ, are there any local companies to go to?
2) Roughly how much does it cost to have the parts of a Bally coin door and lock down bar mechanism zinc plated?
3) Generally what is the turn-around time?
4) What condition do they need to be in when sent; rust and corrosion removed?

Thanks
Dave

#2 4 years ago

Mike Chestnut is the man when it comes to plating.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks I have heard that...I will try to contact him. Any others you know of?
Thanks,
Dave

#4 4 years ago

He is the only one I have used. Any plating shop should be capable though.

2 weeks later
#5 4 years ago

Unfortunately, Mike is not doing anymore plating work at the moment. I think he's a little behind on things. If you find anyone else for plating, let me know as I need things done too.

#6 4 years ago

If Mike isn't available, here's a hint:

Contact your local custom motorcycle shop. Those guys are usually fanatical about the quality of the plating they get done. If there's somebody local to you that passes the quality sniff test, they'll know them. If the local guys suck, they'll know that too.

#7 4 years ago

http://www.magplate.com/
Located in Lowell, MA

Owner's name is Steve. He is an absolute genius (not kidding, member of MENSA, B.S., M.S., & MBA) and is the only person in the world that can nickel-plate magnesium. I used to work with Steve and was wondering if there were any parts in one of my pins that would look good plated, and if I come to the conclusion of "yes", Steve will be the only person I trust plating those parts. I don't know if he's ever done things like pinball parts, but bike parts and countless other industries he's served.

Full disclosure - I also am related to one of the owners, but this isn't a shameless plug. Once you talk to Steve, you'll know he's on another level when it comes to plating knowledge.

#8 4 years ago

I had mine Zinc plated here in Calgary,Alberta.
Major difference in the look,my stuff was rough before.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#9 4 years ago

I use North Penn Plating. Pretty quick turn around.

#10 4 years ago

Chrome plating hard to find due to regulations. Here in Middle GA I found a large shop that does nickel plating. Low price with good results. I think you should be able to find nickel plating companies just about anywhere.

Bob

2 months later
#11 4 years ago

OK, from what i understand Chestnut is either not doing this anymore or is taking a break. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside