(Topic ID: 291599)

Where to get non-square carriage bolts for '60s Bally top frame?

By swampwiz

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swampwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top glass bolts 1 (resized).jpg
    top glass bolts 2 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot (85) (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

I recall when going through my Rocket III, Dixieland & On Beam pins that they had some strange carriage bolts (#8-32 x 3/8") that did not have the normal square underhead (I ended up installing round Phillips machine screws). I have looked everywhere for these suckers, but to no avail. The frame is cylindrical, but there is no way that a manufacturer would allow a playfield to be accessed with a screwdriver , so I must be correct in this mamory.

Any ideas where to get these?

#2 3 years ago

I have not been able to find these round head bolts either. When I tear apart a frame to replace the glass and sand/buff/polish the frame pieces, I have been using "Button Head" # 8-32 x 3/8" bolts like these IF the original round head bolts are not present to reuse and have been replaced by Philips head bolts. This picture is from Menards but I have also bought them at Home Depot or Lowes where they are in the specialty hardware drawers. These hex-head bolts are not correct but SO MUCH better looking than a Phillips head bolt.
    Screenshot (85) (resized).pngScreenshot (85) (resized).pngtop glass bolts 1 (resized).jpgtop glass bolts 1 (resized).jpgtop glass bolts 2 (resized).jpgtop glass bolts 2 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

I recall when going through my Rocket III, Dixieland & On Beam pins that they had some strange carriage bolts (#8-32 x 3/8") that did not have the normal square underhead (I ended up installing round Phillips machine screws). I have looked everywhere for these suckers, but to no avail. The frame is cylindrical, but there is no way that a manufacturer would allow a playfield to be accessed with a screwdriver , so I must be correct in this mamory.
    Any ideas where to get these?

Have you tried PBR? Steve had lots of non-standard bolts

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

I have not been able to find these round head bolts either. When I tear apart a frame to replace the glass and sand/buff/polish the frame pieces, I have been using "Button Head" # 8-32 x 3/8" bolts like these IF the original round head bolts are not present to reuse and have been replaced by Philips head bolts. This picture is from Menards but I have also bought them at Home Depot or Lowes where they are in the specialty hardware drawers. These hex-head bolts are not correct but SO MUCH better looking than a Phillips head bolt.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That sounds like an easy upgrade, so I shall do it. I typically use Fastenal or Bolt Depot to get my fasteners.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-get-non-square-carriage-bolts-for-60s-bally-top-frame- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.