(Topic ID: 221408)

Where to get a board design fabbed AND assembled?

By Rdoyle1978

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

For those of you who have done your own board designs, I am trying to find a place to do the board fabrication and assemble it for me - or at LEAST allow me to source the parts for less than $300. This is a modification of Eli Curtz's RGB-DMD board, which I have a non-working one, and I'd like to get 2 made. There are about 10 or so surface-mounted parts, and I'm getting these crazy quotes of $300. The board and components are about $20, I think it may even be less than that.

any suggestions? If I buy all the components separately it is difficult to find a place that will let you buy just 2 for less than $10 each. Where else should I be looking?

#2 5 years ago

If you have proper RS274X photoplot files then you can get a good start for the bare boards. Price depends on number of layers, if you want electrical test, etc. Can be as low as $10 per board to over $100 per board. Cheaper board houses often make up the difference by charging you NRE fees which brings their price in line with others. If you go to a Chinese board house - you can get cheap (*cheap* in more ways than one). Just be prepared to pay the extra 25% tax when they arrive. There are some Taiwanese that are cheap as well with no 25% tax - just make sure they make them in Taiwan rather than sub them out to China.

Most board assy houses won't touch this one - the solder stencils will put this one way out in left field, not worth it for such a low build quantity. And then to setup their pick and place machines - I'm not surprised they are quoting $300. I would have expected even more than that. For low quantity - just get a fine tip soldering tip, real good reading glasses and lots of patience.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

If you have proper RS274X photoplot files then you can get a good start for the bare boards. Price depends on number of layers, if you want electrical test, etc. Can be as low as $10 per board to over $100 per board. Cheaper board houses often make up the difference by charging you NRE fees which brings their price in line with others. If you go to a Chinese board house - you can get cheap (*cheap* in more ways than one). Just be prepared to pay the extra 25% tax when they arrive. There are some Taiwanese that are cheap as well with no 25% tax - just make sure they make them in Taiwan rather than sub them out to China.
    Most board assy houses won't touch this one - the solder stencils will put this one way out in left field, not worth it for such a low build quantity. And then to setup their pick and place machines - I'm not surprised they are quoting $300. I would have expected even more than that. For low quantity - just get a fine tip soldering tip, real good reading glasses and lots of patience.

Gotcha - thanks for the advice. I am not surprised to read this is not unusual, just disappointed, haha!

I have PCBs ready to go, will send them to OSHPark ($20 for 3 PCBs, not bad), so I just need to get parts ordered. Any recommendations on that ?

#4 5 years ago

I'm actually surprised they would even quote an assembly job of quantity 2 of such a simple board, and as G-P-E says, $300 seems low to me for turnkey assembly. If I'm not doing at least 10, I don't even ask about assembly.

Given small boards, I would agree that OSHPark is the way to go. When boards start to get bigger, there are other places; feel free to ask me if you run into a need.

For parts, I would start with Digikey and/or Mouser. G-P-E has a good bit of pinball specific stuff, but chances are you're run into something he doesn't carry.

I'm not familiar with what parts are on the board, but if you have anything small or fine pitch that you could use a microscope for, you're welcome to drop by my house sometime.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks Herg - I appreciate the offer! I am trying to build this interface between an Arduino and a (edit: ) DMD board. I have all the parts, just need the interface board built, and the one I have is not working. I have the Eagle schematic and board files, just have to assemble it at this point.

#6 5 years ago

I've used PCBWay many times and been very happy with their quality and price. They are located in China, so standard shipping will take many days. They do offer assemble services, but I assemble my own designs.

www.pcbway.com

#7 5 years ago

If you have the files, http://macrofab.com

#8 5 years ago

+1 these guys, i use alot and you can not get close to there prices on one offs / small runs.

Quality is very good!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-get-a-board-design-fabbed-and-assembled and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.