Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Tanooki
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I find myself trying a video version of a table or just wondering about the rules of various machines. This forum doesn't seem to really have definitive copies of the rulesheets (does it?), so I'm wondering what is the best place to go to find out about the rules of a given machine. Is there a repository somewhere online that I haven't found yet?

What prompted this post today is that I re-installed an old copy of MS Pinball arcade, and I can swear that I had previously read the rules for Spirit of '76, but I can't seem to find them now. Haunted House is another one on there for which I'd like to check the rules.

#2 6 years ago

Farsight's pinball arcade is really the gold standard for the tables they've released. Some rule sheets are also available via ipdb and 90s style game tutorial sites like gamefaqs. The PAPA videos are another great resource.

#3 6 years ago

PAPA has a pretty good repository, but it doesn't cover the two games you mentioned. Nevertheless, you might want to check it out for future reference.

http://papa.org/learning-center/player-resources/game-rulesheets/

#4 6 years ago

I installed a program that lets me view the original Help file for MS Pinball arcade. In it, I found these tips:

Spirit of 76
Advanced Scoring
Free Games:
You win a free game for the following scores:· 80,000· 98,000
You also win a free game if the last two digits in your score match the match score at the end of the game.

Bonus:
During gameplay, you accumulate bonus points in 1000-point increments. When the ball leaves the playfield, the bonus is added to your score.

The following playfield features add to your bonus:· Rollover buttons when lit· Lower Left Side Rollover· Lower Right Side Rollover· 1776 Drop Targets· 1976 Drop Targets

Double Bonuses:
You can win a double bonus in two ways:· Completing both the 1776 and 1976 drop targets sometimes lights the center kickout hole for a double bonus.· Let your ball go out the out hole during the last ball of your game when the bonus ladder’s Double Bonus is lit.

Quadruple Bonus: To score four times the indicated bonus value, shoot the center hole when both Double Bonus lights are lit.

High Score Tips· Practice catching and aiming so that you can complete the rollovers and drop targets to light the center hole for specials and awards.

#5 6 years ago

Wow I forgot about MS Pinball Arcade. That thing even had an obscure Gameboy Color release too for whatever it was worth. Are you running an old PC or how are you even getting that to work on a modern one? I considered tracking it down as I love Pinball Arcade, but the age makes it an issue.

Doesn't the IPDB have some rules on it or just pretty much everything else?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

It does for some machines, but I think they're mostly the same files as PAPA links to. IPDB also has instruction cards for many games if you just want a general idea of what to shoot for. Both are found under specific game listings.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1133&picno=26463

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2293&picno=18376

#7 6 years ago

Good I'm not nuts, thought I saw something before.

After seeing this thread, now I kind of wish I had MS Pinball Arcade, but I bet you anything it won't run on a 64bit windows install. I had this Williams Pinball package from Encore Entertainment from a decade ago up until very recently when I pitched it. There was this screwy hacked exe file to run it on a win7 64bit install, but win8 hates that too so it was put to death. Very hard to find because the UK version of Pinball Hall of Fame had it for a time so it gets easily confused. I miss the one EM table it had, Lost World, the other 3 tables are in Pinball Arcade (Tales of the Arabian Nights, Black Rose, Creature From the Black Lagoon.)

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

Wow I forgot about MS Pinball Arcade. That thing even had an obscure Gameboy Color release too for whatever it was worth. Are you running an old PC or how are you even getting that to work on a modern one? I considered tracking it down as I love Pinball Arcade, but the age makes it an issue.

A friend of mine actually loaned me a CD of MS Pinball arcade last year. I was anticipating having problems, so I tried it on a single core 32bit machine and it worked fine. It turns out you don't need the disc in the drive AND there is no copy protection on it, so it should be easy to find if you kick up the usual bittorrent dust. This weekend, I felt like playing So76 again, so I tried it on a 64bit install of Win7 and it worked great (except for the help files). It is a 32bit program, so it should be fine in any 64bit version of Windows.

More than you want to know: If a program was originally compiled for a 16bit MS OS then a 32bit MS OS will play it. MS builds one level of backward compatability into their OS. This is why in a 64bit OS, you will have a Program Files and also a Program Files x86 folder (in that case for 32bit programs). This is actually way more complicated than having an extra folder or two because the OS kernel needs to detect that it is of a different bitness and do a process called thunking to pass the right assembly instructions on to the machine. One generation behind and you should be fine. If you want to run a 16bit program on a 64bit OS, you can't. Most people work around that by installing something like virtual PC (free download: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3702) and setting up a 32bit version of XP to run the older software.

Regarding pics from IPDB - I could swear that I looked at those pics, but I didn't see the instruction card pic. Thanks for linking that. Here is the text of the rulesheet picture on IPDB for So76

SPIRIT OF 76
INSTRUCTIONS
ONE. Two, THREE or FOUR PLAYERS - -5 BALLS PER PLAYER

INSERT COIN OR PRESS CREDIT BUTTON TO RESET MACHINE.
REPEAT FOR ADDITIONAL PLAYERS

POINTS ARE SCORED AS INDICATED.

COMPLETING A.B.C.D.E SEQUENCE LIGHTS HOLE OCCASIONALLY FOR
EXTRA BALL. COMPLETING ALL DROP TARGETS LIGHTS HOLE
OCCASIONALLY FOR DOUBLE BONUS. COMPLETING BOTH A.B.C.
D.E AND ALL DROP TARGETS LIGHTS HOLE OCCASIONALLY FOR
SPECIAL.

ROLLOVER BUTTONS SCORE 100 POINTS OR 500 POINTS AND ADD
BONUS WHEN LIT.

BONUS IS SCORED UPON COMPLETION OF BALL IN PLAY OR IN
HOLE IF LIT FOR DOUBLE BONUS. HOLE SCORES 4 TIMES INDICATED

BONUS VALUE IF DOUBLE BONUS LIGHTS ARE LIT.

A TILT DOES NOT DISQUALIFY A PLAYER.

MATCHING LAST TWO NUMBERS IN SCORE TO NUMBER THAT APPEARS
ON BACK GLASS AFTER GAME IS OVER SCORES 1 REPLAY.

#9 6 years ago

More than I want to know, not really, I did know that, but I know there probably are quite a few who aren't aware of it. It has been the bane of my existence with old games since I jumped to Win7 64bit and now since December 8.1 64bit. They did change something between Win7 and 8 though because as I said Williams Pinball which had those 4 tables did work on Win7 and it threw up so many weird display and other errors and just died horribly on win8 so I pitched it. That one had a disc check, but it was easily removed with the original patch or the one that worked on win7 too. That evil stuff keeps me from using my original Civilization(1) for Windows and Sim City Classic too (I make due with Micropolis for Windows.)

I guess I could go the whole seedy route, just wasn't going to be so open about it as I don't know the rules/intent here on discussion of such junk here as it's a hit/miss thing on game boards. Some are whiners, some just don't want the ROM links. Spirit of 76 and Cue Ball I really do like on that old package, the older stuff with the wide open flippers or no flippers I don't like, but the newest 4 titles I'm ok with on the list. The GBC version lacks Cue Ball which blows but it's a hardware limit, but the other stuff works fine (humpty dumpty is missing too.) The PC version I did a google on before posting that and saw many complaints of it failing in win8 but maybe a try before I snap it up on ebay approach is warranted.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside