(Topic ID: 8654)

Where to find descent machines in Small Town, USA?

By love4movies

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by love4movies
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I am looking for a 1990s or later DMD pinball machine. My budget is around $2000 or less. I live in Billings, Montana. Billings has a population of 120,000. It is the largest city in Montana and much of the surrounding area. I am having a hard time finding a descent machine. I have seen some that are in pretty rough condition. I am hesitant on using ebay to buy a machine as I have heard real horror stories of machines purchased. Also I think the shipping charge would probably kill the deal and on ebay they seem to be asking a premium price. I am looking to buy something local so that I can check over the machine myself before purchasing. I was wondering if anyone had any tips how to find a machine in small towns. I have a WTB ad on craigslist and in pinside. Should I trust in buying a machine off of ebay? Thanks for any advice. I am new to this forum and am looking for my first pin.

#2 9 years ago

i would only buy on ebay if the seller is close enough for you to go and pick up the pin. my best advise is never buy a pin sight unseen. you may have to travel aways to get a good pin in your price range. what ever happens good luck and welcome to pinside.

#3 9 years ago

Patience. Place some want ads on CL, buy a pinball that's in good condition for your first. Looks like you might have to road trip to Washington or somewhere.

Maybe your range is too narrow. Not to encourage you to get a machine you don't want...but like the North Star could be a dope pin if the guy came down in price and it was *mint* condition.

Also, did you see this dude's ad/stock? He spells pinballs "pin balls".

billings.craigslist.org link

Oh, and arcade vendors are good contacts.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from love4movies:

I have a WTB ad on craigslist and in pinside

Keeps the ads up, may take time. There is some good advice above.

The only other thing I suggest is "networking." Not internet type but the type where you talk to people and ask them to talk to people. Tell them you want one before Christmas. I find more pins just talking to people.

I got a lead on my Blackout and Gorgar while doing the paperwork to buy my current house in 2004. I was talking in the office about what room was going to be for the pins. The lady doing the paperwork overheard and asked if I wanted more. I went and looked and bought at a great price.

#5 9 years ago

15,000 in my town!

#6 9 years ago

How long have you been looking? I don't think I started to actually see them consistently for 3 months. So I thought my state had nothing...so I bought a machine just to have. Then after that they started popping up all over. Also look on this forum! Thats how I got my FT machine. But shipping isnt that expensive either.

#7 9 years ago

you need to make friends with other people who have machines. they tend to know other people with machines and those machines tend to rotate amongst those people.

#8 9 years ago

I started looking for machines about 3 months ago and has now developed into an obsession. What I am understanding is patience will pay off. I will have to agree with you. I just need to be patient.

#9 9 years ago

Plus, shipping doesn't have to be a killer. You can still stay in budget and buy a cheaper pin. There's plenty of great ones out there for under 2k. JM, Popeye, TFTC, Giligan's Island...

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

you need to make friends with other people who have machines. they tend to know other people with machines and those machines tend to rotate amongst those people.

This is VERY true. Badbill55 up in Duluth here, we finally met up and talk pin all the time. He knows some people. All about connections.

Quoted from love4movies:I started looking for machines about 3 months ago and has now developed into an obsession. What I am understanding is patience will pay off. I will have to agree with you. I just need to be patient.

ya I know how it is to wait. It sucks. But don't regret your first pin. I wish I would of waited and got one from my list of wanted machines. But you live, you learn and collect..as your 1st pin will not ever, ever be your last....they multiply like rabbits^4

#11 9 years ago

I really wanted a 90's era DMD Williams myself- it took about a year and half and got one off my wish list for a great deal. See if there are any other local collector yahoo groups or something out that way as well.

Meeting and networking with like minds can be tough in an area like that,... I keep meeting more and more living only 10, 20 minutes away from me! I would have never thought there would be people that close as crazy as I am.

#12 9 years ago

I will definitely keep my ads up. Networking with other pin enthusiasts might be a challenge. I don't know where to start. On the pinside member map, I am the only one for around 300 mile radius. At work I have mentioned my interest. I also have a friend who does HVAC work. He sees a lot of people's basements. I asked him if he came across someone who has a machine to mention it that his friend has an interest. Otherwise I will just keep waiting and hang in there. Thanks for your replys.

#13 9 years ago

I stick to CL and auction sites.

#14 9 years ago

try contacting local route operators. if you see any pins near you look for a vendor sticker with a phone #.contact them and find out if they have any pins for sale. some ops also do pin repair for private collectors and they may be able to put you in touch with a private collector that has a pin for sale. you can also check out mr pinball classifieds. you can use the search for pins for sale near you. i hope these tips help in your search. i have used them and they helped me find pins.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

you can also check out mr pinball classifieds

Thanks for the advice. I now have a wtb ad at mr. pinball classifieds. Unfortunately, no listings for what I am looking for in this state.

#16 9 years ago

I suggest moving!

Maybe close to Pelham NH - that way you can easily go to the Pinball Wizard Arcade

http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/

Their collection is crazy.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jay_Allegro:

I suggest moving!

Maybe close to Pelham NH - that way you can easily go to the Pinball Wizard Arcade []

http://www.pinballwizardarcade.com/

Their collection is crazy.

Now that is a thing of beauty.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside