(Topic ID: 187448)

Where to find 555 light sockets for Spy Hunter playfield?

By Krh13

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Lovef2k
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hello! This is probably an easy question but I am new to the hobby and did not see the information in my owners manual. I have a few lights on my playfield that do not work, even with new bulbs. If I swap a working light and socket into the one that does not work, it works. So I am looking for 6 or so replacement sockets but I am not sure which ones. I have seen some listed that look right but there are different sizes. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

#2 2 years ago

I'm assuming it's the black twist sockets. Put a new lamp in the socket and bend the metal tabs up then install and see if they work. Also those light boards can get cracked solder joints and make bad connection. Remove and reflow the solder around the header pin solder pads. It's rare you need a new socket.

Diodes can go bad, but that doesn't sound like your issue here.

#4 2 years ago

Keep in mind these are only for the twist-in lights that use the PCBs underneath the playfield, there are some lights that are not on PCBs on Spy Hunter and just use the normal wired sockets with their respective mounting tabs so you may need to mix and match depending.

#5 2 years ago

The link you posted is the ones I was wondering about.
I am going to call them in the morning to confirm.
Thanks!

#6 2 years ago

I have 6 non working lights and they are all the twist type sockets. After reading the posts here I checked all of them to see if it was a socket issue or something else. Half of them worked after swapping a different socket. The other half would not come on. Going to have to check on them. I am nervous about doing the solder myself. Time for YouTube videos or having someone look at it for me.
I am really thinking about trying to find a basic electronics class where I can learn some basic skills. It can be a little overwhelming for a nebbie.

Quoted from schudel5:

I'm assuming it's the black twist sockets. Put a new lamp in the socket and bend the metal tabs up then install and see if they work. Also those light boards can get cracked solder joints and make bad connection. Remove and reflow the solder around the header pin solder pads. It's rare you need a new socket.
Diodes can go bad, but that doesn't sound like your issue here.

#7 2 years ago

Are the ones with problems all on one or two boards, or spread out? It could be the connection to the board, or the lamp driver board in the back, that's the issue if known good sockets still won't light.

#8 2 years ago

a multimeter might help chasing this down as well

hopefully just dirty sockets and contact points but could be a transistor or 2 on lamp driver board I would guess Pinball life may have some of them when you call & they should be inexpensive

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm about halfway down the page

#9 2 years ago

I bet in 3 weeks Krh13 is totally stoked about the Spy Hunter machine he fixed himself! Get that multimeter moving man! You are ready to fix that pinball!

Once you get that multimeter and figure out exactly what is wrong do some practice soldering on some broken electronics first.

#10 2 years ago

Thank you for all of your help! I talked to Mike at Pinball Life and confirmed what chas10e posted. I have them coming with some LEDs, polish, and the Pinball Care and Maintenance book.
I have some extra circuit boards I can practice my soldering. My wife found a Cherry Master Video Poker machine with an extra LCD monitor and about 10 circuit boards. Best off it was only $20. I need to work on the bill collector but it has to wait in line behind Spy Hunter.

#11 2 years ago

If you get new sockets in there, are sure the wired up good, lamp board connectors good etc.... The scr is probably bad on the lamp driver board. Typical failure mode is to never light up.

#12 2 years ago

what he said^^^ i typically find on an old bally about 8 lights out , usually 2-3 sockets 2-3 scr s , 2-3 bad pins on connectors

#13 2 years ago

You might want to consider getting your 555 lamp sockets from this guy. At $0.59 each if you have to buy a lot of these the savings will more than pay for shipping charges.

http://pinballreplacementparts.com/products?page=2

http://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/twist-in-lamp-socket-fits-555-or-906-bulbs

#14 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I received some replacement sockets today and are not the correct ones. The bulb fits and the socket fits, but they will not turn more than 1/16 th of an inch on the board. Guess I am getting a start on my spare parts bin!

Quoted from cottonm4:

You might want to consider getting your 555 lamp sockets from this guy. At $0.59 each if you have to buy a lot of these the savings will more than pay for shipping charges.
http://pinballreplacementparts.com/products?page=2
http://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/twist-in-lamp-socket-fits-555-or-906-bulbs

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Krh13:

Thanks for the suggestion. I received some replacement sockets today and are not the correct ones. The bulb fits and the socket fits, but they will not turn more than 1/16th of an inch on the board. Guess I am getting a start on my spare parts bin!

Try your sockets again. These are close tolerance parts and they have to fit tight. I am installing mine today and some are so tight that I have to complete twist with a pair of pliers. You don't need to horse them because the pliers really boost your leverage. Just a slow gentle twist should work.

#16 2 years ago

Forcing them in damage the traces on the lamp board? I would tweak the contacts a little to relieve the tension on the contacts before twisting them in. Also put the game in "burn in" test mode to light the feature lamps so you can narrow down any flaky sockets. Any lamp that won't light is most likely the result of a blown scr or transistor. There are 2 lamp driver boards on Spy Hunter, the lower left board the small one in the lower middle which is the auxiliary lamp driver. You will need your manual to determine which scr controls a specific lamp.

#17 2 years ago

Oh, and adding LED's to these early solid state games usually results in lamps strobing (blinking very rapidly). You will need a special lamp driver from Alltek to eliminate the strobing. Can be found for $100. LED's do not draw enough current to let the scr's function properly. The Alltek board is designed to use with LED's by adding a jumper wire to the feature lamp circuit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Piqua, OH
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside