(Topic ID: 116780)

Where to connect a new grounded cord to an EM?

By embryonjohn

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fflint_18
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

84461335.jpg
Figure_24_08_06.jpg
extension-cord-in-pool.jpg
high-voltage-inside-danger-label-lb-2400.png
00075.png
ground.jpg
GTBgrd6.jpg
GTBgrd5.jpg
GTBgrd4.jpg
GTBgrd3.jpg
GTBgrd2.jpg
GTBgrd1.jpg
image-845.jpg
image-915.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fflint_18.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yupper... although there's nothing like a good shot of 110v to get ya going in the morning...

Wuss.

120V is just a little bite. I probably get bit by 120 at least weekly.

You want a good one get a hit from 277V sometime.

I was at a business on a 12 foot ladder wiring some lights with the lighting panel tagged out when all of a sudden I saw the lights starting to come on and before you know it I was laying on the floor.

The shock really hurt and the fall hurt even more. Broke my tailbone.

I went to the panel and found a mason was trying to get an outlet for his mixer working.

I chased him around the building for 5 minutes with a shovel/

Ahh Memories.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

The worst shock I ever got was from the "low voltage" side of a garage door opener. I was washing my car with bare feet and wanted to close the garage door. I had not yet installed the push buttons to control the opener, so I figured I would just short the terminal screws on the opener with my keys to activate it. That was not a good idea standing on a concrete floor with wet bare feet. Knocked me on my ass! It really stung! It's not so much the voltage, but the current. Higher voltage can overcome the natural resistance of your skin, thus allowing the current to be conducted through your body, but even a half amp can kill you if it has an easy path through your body.

I remember my instructor back in engineering school telling me that 28v AC was the lowest that ever was documented as killing someone

Quoted from pinhead52:

90v 20 Hertz ring voltage now that is good stuff!

And you are right.

I think ring voltage probably hurts worse than anything. I worked for PA Bell back in the 80's and remember how bad it hurt.

#18 9 years ago

Very slick.

I will probably do the same thing.

The only thing I may do different is use a lug on one of the screws on the door instead of solder.

I'd hate to see that solder joint pop off.

Or is that a lug and I just can't tell.

Thanks for the idea.

#28 9 years ago

Vid is right.

Anything that is part of the chassis should be grounded.

I'm an electrical engineer with a PE license for the last 23 years.

I have done equipment design and install on Navy ships for 25 plus years as well as worked as an electrician for more than 30 years.

Ground everything.

While it does suck that leaning in on a turned on cabinet and you can shock yourself that is not the point of grounding the rails. Working on a live cabinet (which I know we all do) is a hazard of the trade.

In reality we should never go in an energized cabinet.

Grounding all metal including the side rails is to ensure user safety.

The rails can not become electrified for a user to get shocked on if they are grounded.

It's just like grounding all metal pipes in your house. A few years ago I grabbed a faucet handle and got the crap shocked out of me because someone had a hot line touching an ungrounded water pipe.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It doesn't matter if you are servicing a pinball machine, a toaster, an amplifier, or any electrical device. If you are touching case (which is grounded) with one hand and poking around voltage with the other hand with the power on, you are assuming all the possible risk of shock. I've never heard of someone removing safety grounds from any parts prior to servicing. They are there to possibly save your life.

The very first day I apprenticed with an electrician at age 16 he taught me to only work with a single hand around stuff that may be live.

Best lesson ever.

If you get shocked and it goes from your hand and through your foot to complete the path it's bad.

If it goes from hand to hand and maybe through your chest you could ruin your whole day.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I'm still waiting to hear about the first guy that got killed by a 110v EM. He must have a name, right?
Some guys have divots out of the back of their head, from hitting the bottom of the PF when they get surprised. That's about all I ever heard of.

That's probably how he died.

As I stated above I fell off a high ladder when getting shocked. We'll how about wacking your head on a kicker or pop bumper hard enough to knock yourself out when getting a shock from inside the cabinet.

It's not always the shock that kills you, but the effect from the shock.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Well my perspective is that I have to quality control power entry and ground systems in my profession, and simply apply those principles to all my electronic devices. Sure, I've been shocked by 110VAC many times. I've survived all those times. Though the risk of injury is small I still advise to properly ground. Not to scare, but because it is the right thing to do.

Well said Way Out.

Always ground. Not because it's the pinball shock that will kill you. Ground because it is the right thing to do.

I spent all day on US Navy ships working on cabinet grounds. It's an important thing. And we take things seriously.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fflint_18.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-connect-a-new-grounded-cord-to-an-em?tu=fflint_18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.