(Topic ID: 116780)

Where to connect a new grounded cord to an EM?

By embryonjohn

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by fflint_18
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

84461335.jpg
Figure_24_08_06.jpg
extension-cord-in-pool.jpg
high-voltage-inside-danger-label-lb-2400.png
00075.png
ground.jpg
GTBgrd6.jpg
GTBgrd5.jpg
GTBgrd4.jpg
GTBgrd3.jpg
GTBgrd2.jpg
GTBgrd1.jpg
image-845.jpg
image-915.jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Thanks Wayner. The jokes are to be expected, those don't bother me. What does: here we go again with all the arguments about how 110V is safer, how current relates to voltage, blah blah blah. I know all that. Yet, the folks here on Pinside will keep arguing a point that advises newbs that 110V is completely safe so the grounding is not important. Really, it's a just simple precautionary measure to take.

#52 9 years ago

I think you're inferring what wasn't stated or even implied!

#53 9 years ago

No guts, no glory
extension-cord-in-pool.jpgextension-cord-in-pool.jpg

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yupper... although there's nothing like a good shot of 110v to get ya going in the morning...

especially if your playing without wearing pants.

#55 9 years ago

If you are really worried about safety, add a GFCI outlet or breaker to the circuit. It would be far more effective than a bunch of outhouse engineered added grounds.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

If you are really worried about safety, add a GFCI outlet or breaker to the circuit. It would be far more effective than a bunch of outhouse engineered added grounds.

What you are doing is just adding a GFCI to a circuit with a pre-broken ground. Such an elegant solution.

Figure_24_08_06.jpgFigure_24_08_06.jpg

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

No guts, no glory

extension-cord-in-pool.jpg 47 KB

You wouldn't want that grill standing just outside of the pool, that would of been to easy. To quote Monty Python, "3 Men in a Tub".

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

What you are doing is just adding a GFCI to a circuit with a pre-broken ground. Such an elegant solution.

Please redraw your cartoon with the GFCI popped.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Please redraw your cartoon with the GFCI popped.

Man, why do so vehemently oppose the installation of a proper grounding, which is a very easy upgrade to make both cleanly and professionally?

What about the situation where the game is put on location or travels to a show...are you going to demand a GFCI be installed?

At home I have GFCI on all my basement outlets, and in the example I gave earlier the game that shorted 110V to the coin door both popped the breaker and the GFCI. I didn't even have a chance to find out if I would have gotten zapped...because I had a proper ground wire installed.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Man, why do so vehemently oppose the installation of a proper grounding, which is a very easy upgrade to make both cleanly and professionally?

I'm generally against scare tactics that don't give a proper representation of the risks involved, regardless of the situation. If you want to ground your game, I really don't give a rip. If you want to scare everyone with some risk that has yet rear it's ugly head, then a little perspective is in order.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I'm generally against scare tactics that don't give a proper representation of the risks involved, regardless of the situation. If you want to ground your game, I really don't give a rip. If you want to scare everyone with some risk that has yet rear it's ugly head, then a little perspective is in order.

Well my perspective is that I have to quality control power entry and ground systems in my profession, and simply apply those principles to all my electronic devices. Sure, I've been shocked by 110VAC many times. I've survived all those times. Though the risk of injury is small I still advise to properly ground. Not to scare, but because it is the right thing to do.

#62 9 years ago

was that red to red? or red to black?

84461335.jpg84461335.jpg
#63 9 years ago

^^^
That's how you pay your legtrissidy bill in the 313.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Well my perspective is that I have to quality control power entry and ground systems in my profession, and simply apply those principles to all my electronic devices. Sure, I've been shocked by 110VAC many times. I've survived all those times. Though the risk of injury is small I still advise to properly ground. Not to scare, but because it is the right thing to do.

Well said Way Out.

Always ground. Not because it's the pinball shock that will kill you. Ground because it is the right thing to do.

I spent all day on US Navy ships working on cabinet grounds. It's an important thing. And we take things seriously.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-connect-a-new-grounded-cord-to-an-em/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.