• Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190807-061155_1.jpg
A8C8DD91-8C40-452F-9A43-AE6F7974976C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 4 years ago

I'm going off something I read on here about a bootloader required to get the node boards to function. Now, if this is something easily loaded after the fact or native to the chips from the factory or something completely proprietary by Stern, I'm not sure. But there could be much more than simply soldering components to a board. Hopefully it's something easily loaded.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The node boards have some kind of flash memory - you see it updating specific node boards with some of the code updates.

Yes there is that too. What I'm referring to would almost be like BIOS in a computer. Something like a low level instruction code specifically written to get the communication channels open, talk to other node boards and accept updates.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think the questions is, when does this stop? 1 year, 2nd owner, 15mo???

Had a node 8 go bad on a 2nd owner GB at around the 12 month mark. Called Stern for tech support and determined the node needed replaced; but they were not going to replace it for free. They told me on the phone they'd do it for the original owner up until the 6 month mark. Now, that was over the phone with one guy so it's subjective as it could be different depending on who you got. I called the distributor that the original owner and the second owner always use for games and was sent one for exchange. I think that's probably pushing it as far as number of owners and ownership time is concerned.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Other concern is Spike boards seem to have way more issues than any previous board set.

I'd agree on Spike I generation. For some reason GB seems to be the one with the most issues I've seen followed by probably Kiss. The Spike II I think they got mostly figured out.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is it correct that the node boards are not fused?

Some are and some aren't. I know Kiss boards are fused and GB are not. Here again, it's like like they have so many variations on these games there's no consistency. Same goes for the HV lockout switch on the coin door. MY BKSOR Prem has one, others do not. It's a hodgepodge of stuff.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

The fact that one board can be the equivalent of 20 percent of the cost of a new game is a bit staggering.

Tells you there's one hell of a mark-up on the secondary market.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Machine - For Sale
Grass Valley, CA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
Plastics
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-spike-node-boards?tu=schudel5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.