• Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Outlane
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20190807-061155_1.jpg
A8C8DD91-8C40-452F-9A43-AE6F7974976C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don’t think there is enough history to say they seem fine. Maybe in another five years we will have enough data. Under the current feedback we are hearing they do not seem fine at all to me.

I don't think we will in five years either. I have had three Spike machines (still have two) and have never had a node board problem (Zero defects, Spike is perfect!). That means just as little as one guy having two machines and having node board issues on both (100% crap! Spike is doomed). Without a reasonable, verifiable sample size of people with Spike pins with issues vs those without, it is kind of meaningless.

Personally, I will continue to buy Spike games because I think the issue is overblown on here, people will always post their problems vs successes so it presents a bit of a skewed reality. The vast majority of complaints on here have also been resolved, by Stern, for free even if out of warranty.

However, I think everyone would be a lot less concerned if Stern just dropped the profit margin on the boards. If you design a system where you expect the solution to problems to be simply swapping in a new board, the boards should be way more reasonable. I am all in favor of making a profit, but a $1000.00 cpu board is ridiculous. Feels like a cash grab at the expense of your customers so they won't have a several thousand dollar paper weight.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Will you share the data you used to make that determination please?

Read through the threads on here where people have indicated node board failures, and there are many posts indicating people have received replacement node boards for free. Is it hard "data"? No, but if hard data/evidence is required for a discussion of Spike reliability I guess everyone should just stop because no one other than Stern has any real data.

Quoted from Lermods:

Search pinside, plenty of evidence of spike boards failing. I don’t think it’s overblown any more than non spike games. Is the failure rate any higher than other systems, unclear.

I never said there was no evidence of spike boards failing. What is the real problem though? Is it a 1% failure rate? What percentage of the failure rates happen out of warranty? Random posts on Pinside cannot provide that information, so deciding to not buy a pin based on the Spike system is an overreaction as far as I am concerned.

Quoted from Lermods:

Your boards may not have had an issue, but what if they do? Unlikely you can fix it and the boards are very expensive to replace, IF you can even find them. I hope the spike boards become more available and at more reasonable prices because stern spike games are a lot of fun, just feels like kind of rolling the dice.

If they do, then I will try to fix, get someone more knowledgeable to try to fix, or buy a replacement if that fails. If there isn't a replacement available then I would definitely lose my sh*t and probably never buy another Spike pin again, but I just don't feel the risk of this worst case scenario is all that high. I agree (and posted previously) that a good supply of boards at a reasonable price is all it would take to alleviate everyone's concerns. Hope it happens. Until then I am just going to enjoy playing pinball.

To each their own though, it is a lot of cash so everyone has to decide on their own comfort level.

#111 4 years ago

I wish that someone in the pinball media like SDTM, TWIP or H2H could get an interview with Gomez to talk specifically about the node board concerns, maybe open up to the community a bit about real world Spike failure rates, board costs, availability, etc.

It is great they did finally release schematics, but not for all boards, and I have a vague recollection of Gomez talking about better troubleshooting methods, etc. but not sure what has materialized. It is weird Stern as a company doesn't try to get in front of this stuff, the concerns have been ongoing for years now. Some information and support direct from them would probably result in some fence sitters purchasing new machines and existing owners relaxing a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-spike-node-boards?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.