(Topic ID: 307857)

Where to buy screws/bolts/fasteners for pins in Canada?

By AaronZOOM

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pingod
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4006-01113-05 6-32 x 1-2 hex_300x300 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I need one screw. Just one! I don't mind buying a small quantity so I have spares (I only have one machine so a lot of spares is a waste), but I simply cannot justify the $40 USD shipping from an American supplier.

Does anyone know a good place in Canada, online or otherwise (Calgary), to actually find the unique screws I need?

Specifically, in this case, I'm looking for a 6-32 1/2 inch unslotted hex head machine screw.
    Y'know, this:
    It's a screw.It's a screw.

But this question applies to just about any screw or fastener for a pinball machine. Where can a *Canadian* find a decent selection of the correct parts for purchase in low quantities without getting killed on international shipping?

#2 2 years ago

If they don't have them at the hardware stores (e.g. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc.) then find you a local fastener company and you may have some luck even with small quantities of things. Typically, these are only B to B businesses, but if independently owned you may find one happy to help you out. Treat them to lunch and some pinball, and they may just become your "go to" for all sorts of fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc.)

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

If they don't have them at the hardware stores (e.g. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc.) then find you a local fastener company and you may have some luck even with small quantities of things. Typically, these are only B to B businesses, but if independently owned you may find one happy to help you out. Treat them to lunch and some pinball, and they may just become your "go to" for all sorts of fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc.)

Lowes & Home Depot don't seem to carry machine screws of this type - they seem more focused on construction and wood/concrete/drywall style screws. Smaller hardware stores around me have an even more limited selection. In the past I've gone to bolt, screw & fastener stores, but even their selection didn't get as specific as I needed - they don't physically stock everything, and ordering specialty was more of a large quantity thing for businesses. I'm cursed by wanting the screws to visually match the existing hardware in the machine, otherwise I'd just throw something ugly and "good enough" in there and be done with it.
    I looked at Fastenal Canada online, but they also seem to be a business provider, not for individual hobbyist use. They don't have a store locally, but they do have a distribution centre - I just need to convince them to ship a tiny amount of screws across town somehow. Or I need to stage a heist.

#4 2 years ago

Check with someone like Devron at Absolute Pinball - I bet he'd have a few hanging around and he'd put one into the mail for you. He's awesome to deal with.

https://www.absolutepinball.com/contact/

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from AaronZOOM:

Home Depot don't seem to carry machine screws of this type

Did you look in those pull out drawers they seem to have in the hardware section? That's where most of the stuff I need is located even though it's an organized mess to wade through.

#6 2 years ago

A lot of it is just not possible to find in Canada unfortunately.

Sometimes I have found stuff on https://spaenaur.com; surprisingly, Amazon sometimes has fasteners I need.

You can buy from Marco and if you pick the cheapest shipping option it's not too bad. Slow though.

I also have been buying from McMaster-Carr, their shipping is pretty reasonable. Sometimes they won’t ship fasteners if they would be hit by an ‘anti-dumping duty’.

You can try https://pinballmedics.ca -- Mike orders from US suppliers every week and if he doesn't have something send him the link and he can get it.

#7 2 years ago

If you can't find one local
    ... try Fastnel... pm me I should have some... pm me and I will check ...

#8 2 years ago

Bolt supply house
    3909A Manchester Rd SE.
    403 287 0360

#9 2 years ago

Quick update to this:

Went to the Bolt Supply House today. They didn't have what I was looking for, and even if they had it's a $5 minimum order. Not a great deal for a guy looking for one piece.

Also checked Canadian Tire, Home Depot, & Lowes in person. Out of luck there.

They have what I need, but I haven't heard back from Fastenal. Being an industrial supplier, I can't imagine they'd be too interested in my business. Couldn't find that specific screw in the Spaenaur catalogue.

Though the part is not listed on their websites, I've reached out to Absolute Pinball & Pinball Medics to see what they can do.

Other than that, my cursor is constantly hovering over the checkout button on Marco's, ready to bite the bullet and pay way too much on shipping for one screw, and probably a second backup screw. Just wish we had more options in Canada!

#10 2 years ago

I've got to put in a Marco order soon, if you can wait a couple weeks I'll order whatever you need and mail it to you.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

I've got to put in a Marco order soon, if you can wait a couple weeks I'll order whatever you need and mail it to you.

Appreciate that, thanks!

#12 2 years ago

Nitro Pinball, He has orders coming in weekly.
    Give him a list of what you need and he will bring it in.

Or come to my house, I'm sure I have spares kicking around.
    I can check.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-screws-bolts-fasteners-for-pins-in-canada and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.