9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Im trying to finally finish my kiss restoration and i need ground braid. Not the flat strap, but the round braid for the backbox. I ordered from pinrestore last time, but i went to place my order for just braid and it said shipping was 17 dollars. I figure there has to be a cheapef place, but i can only find flat strap

#2 9 months ago

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html Half way down the page, bare wire. Will that work ?

LTG : )

#3 9 months ago

Check your local hardware store in the aisle with chain that can be purchased by the foot.
    I remember seeing round braid at Home Depot or Lowe’s sold by the foot

#4 9 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

http://pinrestore.com/Supplies.html Half way down the page, bare wire. Will that work ?

Sorry, pinrestore was the site that had 17 dollar shipping. Ill have to check hardware stores

#5 9 months ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Sorry, pinrestore was the site that had 17 dollar shipping.

Quoted from amkoepfer:

I ordered from pinrescue last time, but i went to place my order for just braid and it said shipping was 17 dollars.

Didn't know that from your post.

#6 9 months ago

I’ll probably never heard the end of it but I used this throughout my Mata Hari and it works great. Ace Hardware. Same gauge that came off the machine but packaged as “picture wire” what a sin!!! Metal is metal.
    $3

image (resized).jpg

#7 9 months ago

Hey, if it's the same or similar to what came off and it takes solder, it's a win.
    Good idea!

#8 9 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Didn't know that from your post.

Ya, i get my pinball sites confused sometimes, edited original post

#9 9 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I’ll probably never heard the end of it but I used this throughout my Mata Hari and it works great. Ace Hardware. Same gauge that came off the machine but packaged as “picture wire” what a sin!!! Metal is metal.

Did it take solder well?

#10 9 months ago

I think you want flat tinned copper braid. I forget the size specifications but maybe someone else can chime in. You can order this its of places, even Amazon.

#11 9 months ago

I think pinrestore only charges their actual shipping costs. They have a high estimate but then refund the extra.

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:Did it take solder well?

I think it did great but I’m a rookie. Not sure if a pic helps justify but here’s an example...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #13 9 months ago

Cheapest place I ever found was a HAM radio supply store on the internet. They use the exact same stuff and I remember it being cheap! I used it on my The Shadow. I'll see if I can find a link

#14 9 months ago

McMaster Carr has both sizes. Look under Grounding Braid. I order it by the roll from there.
    Mike

#15 9 months ago

Thanks for all the help! Incredibly fast responses. If they do actual shipping charges ill probably order from them and see, or just try the picture wire idea. Pretty sure i have some of that laying around

#16 9 months ago

Please report back with what you eventually order, price and supplier.

#17 9 months ago

Pinrestore does refund all excess shipping charges back to your card. I used their bare wire ground braid in the game I’m currently restoring. It’s certainly not the cheapest option, but the quality is excellent.

#18 9 months ago

I just bought picture wire, im going to give it a try. 3 bucks for 25 feet is pretty good....if it accepts solder well. If it doesnt ill buy from pinrestore.

#19 9 months ago

I think Matt is right:

- For the lightbox panel and underside of the playfield, the picture wire is perfect and matches exactly the original Bally wire.
    - For the main cabinet, you want to use flat ground braid available from Pinball Life for example. This one is not cheap... $5 a foot.

Yves

#20 9 months ago
    Quoted from Arcane:

I think Matt is right:
    - For the lightbox panel and underside of the playfield, the picture wire is perfect and matches exactly the original Bally wire.
    - For the main cabinet, you want to use flat ground braid available from Pinball Life for example. This one is not cheap... $5 a foot.
    Yves

I have the flat braid already, i think i got it from marco. I had the round braid i bought a long time ago from pinrestore but ran out and it was so long ago i forgot about the shipping being refunded. This project has been over 2 years in the making and im ready to get it done. Playfield is swapped, still waiting on the owner to finish the cab stencils, in the meantime i have the light box to do and he wants me to put an overlay on a silverball mania which stripping that playfiepd is my project for today

#21 9 months ago
    Quoted from Arcane:

I think Matt is right:
    Yves

FYI, Pinball Life is not selling at $5/ft, it is actually reasonably priced for tinned braid.

Flat Tinned Copper Ground Braid - 5 Feet
    Unit Price: $5.00
    5-10 feet - $1.00 per foot
    15-20 feet - $0.92 per foot
    25-30 feet - $0.81 per foot
    35-40 feet - $0.75 per foot
    45-50 feet - $0.70 per foot
    60 feet - $0.65 per foot
    70 feet - 0.60 per foot
    80 feet - 0.55 per foot
    100 feet - 0.50 per foot
    150 feet - $0.45 per foot
    200 feet - $0.40 per foot

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=braid

#22 9 months ago

Brypten,

You are absolutely right. My mistake. I actually ordered about 20 feet from Pinball Life a few days ago.
    The quality is excellent.

Yves

1 week later
    #23 9 months ago

I picked up 100ft of 1/8" flat braid off ebay from seller acdcwireandsupply. Search for:

100' Ft Flat Braided Tinned Copper Wire 1/8" Wide Ground Strap USA

I paid $40 shipped.

#25 9 months ago

Good price, but i needed round braid for backbox lighting. Seems like that is a little harder to find than the flat cabinet braid. The picture wire is coming together though. Cheap solution for round braid

#26 9 months ago

Isn't picture wire zinc plated steel?

Isn't the bare wire tin plated copper?

I'm pretty sure one of these conducts electricity much better than the other....

#27 9 months ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

Isn't picture wire zinc plated steel?
    Isn't the bare wire tin plated copper?
    I'm pretty sure one of these conducts electricity much better than the other....

You’re probably right, but at 6 volts over 3 feet we probably lose 0.0000000089 of a volt.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 44.00
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 146.66
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside