stepper3 (resized).jpg
stepper2 (resized).jpg
stepper (resized).jpg
_19_counter (resized).jpg
_18_counter (resized).jpg
_17_counter (resized).jpg
_15_counter (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello I'm working on a Williams Dealers Choice, this is my first em machine and I was wondering where is the best place to get stepper parts like springs and bushings and Jesus clips ?

#2 4 years ago

The Pinball Resource. PBR. Google it

You may want to start a thread and tell us your issues first before trying to buy possibly not needed parts. I only once have ever needed to replace a part on a stepper. If you start playing around with the springs, you can open up a whole can of worms that you may never get right.

#3 4 years ago

Ok thankyou. I'm pretty sure I need to repair the steppers first. When I got the. Machine someone had already tried to tension the racheting part of the steppers by stretching the springs down and around and back up . Some of the springs I know are wrong they look way too heavy. I have start up issues. I can watch them not return to starting position some don't move because the springs are not working. I have other issues I'm sure but the first step would be to get the game to start right ?

#4 4 years ago

Pinball Resource is your best source but I second Mikala's comment - many times it's not the springs but actually the stepper parts that are the issue. Before buying new springs I would recommend taking apart and cleaning the steppers, then adding a lubricant (very thin coating of it) to the axles, and re-assembling them. I had an issue much like what you are talking about on the ball count stepper of a 1966 Kicker. It could count up but was having trouble re-setting. It would slowly go back. When I took it apart, the axle for the cogs was covered in grease and filth so it was making it stick. After a good cleaning, it went back to working like new.

If you decide to go down this route, take lots of photos of the counters as you take them apart. It can make re-assembly easier.

I added a few photos of the process I went through. I was having trouble with the counter in the upper right of the first photo. I stripped all the mechanical parts of it. The axle I'm holding in the last photo was covered in a black sticky grease (even the cogs) which was making everything move like molasses.

_15_counter (resized).jpg_15_counter (resized).jpg_17_counter (resized).jpg_17_counter (resized).jpg_18_counter (resized).jpg_18_counter (resized).jpg_19_counter (resized).jpg_19_counter (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

Yes I will definitely be taking them apart and cleaning and lubricating. I will see if I can post some pics of my steppers and you'll see what I mean when I say I need springs .

#6 4 years ago

Great resource right here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

the only place you want to lubricate would be the spindle in the hub , perhaps a light coating on the rivets of the stepper disc.

Bally machines have a nylon gear so product "Super Lube synthetic grease" is recommended for plastic on metal. it also doesn't gum-up like other greases.

& yeah we wanna see them mangled springs

#7 4 years ago

here are the worst 3

stepper (resized).jpgstepper (resized).jpgstepper2 (resized).jpgstepper2 (resized).jpgstepper3 (resized).jpgstepper3 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

Great resource right here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps
the only place you want to lubricate would be the spindle in the hub , perhaps a light coating on the rivets of the stepper disc.
Bally machines have a nylon gear so product "Super Lube synthetic grease" is recommended for plastic on metal. it also doesn't gum-up like other greases.
& yeah we wanna see them mangled springs

Thanks for the link, some really good stuff in there.

#9 4 years ago

you need some new springs

some good stuff here too: http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/index.html

looks like points of attachment have been fudged too.

Steve Young @ PBR will sell you hard copies of the manual & schematics too ...also available online here https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=649

#10 4 years ago

Ya I think this machine has been around the block a few times
dealers choice counter (resized).jpgdealers choice counter (resized).jpg

Is this hours the machine has been on or actual plays ?

#11 4 years ago

Wow I really like the planetary pinball link. shows some good pics and labels of the stepper parts

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from boydsc331:

[quoted image]

It’s usually number of games played.

#13 4 years ago

another 565 plays and it will be good as new

the play meter only counts the number of times a game was started whether it was actually played is unknown

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

another 565 plays and it will be good as new
the play meter only counts the number of times a game was started whether it was actually played is unknown

Lol if only it were that easy

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from boydsc331:

It is the number of games. Every time a game is started it should add one to the counter. Hours would come out to over 11 years straight - 24 hours a day, I wonder how many machines could hold up under that kind of stress.

By the way. When you get everything working, I believe that a properly set up Dealer's Choice is probably the most under rated EM game out there. It's not rare, isn't hard to find, hasn't appeared in any magazine articles or tv shows. The artwork is average and the playfield is mostly pink, but it has one thing going for it... Fantastic Game Play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-em-stepper-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.