Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pbpins
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31F0C026-1EE2-49C1-8ED7-6DB61398DB1B (resized).jpeg
    F9C81753-377A-4AC3-AE50-92CE1F29AA17 (resized).jpeg
    CE7CE97B-7E86-44D6-8B71-E4223FB43D0B (resized).jpeg
    6C1FBE64-F7C4-4A54-8DFC-E59F7E5C67A0 (resized).jpeg
    3BBCBCDE-87CB-4662-98DC-DA1D427F19C7 (resized).jpeg
    BE5A831F-4659-46DF-AD94-69C531A2EC5B (resized).jpeg
    D49C4286-5820-492A-8625-1C15F436313F (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I maybe looking to buy an system 9 MPU board if there is to much battery damage. Where can I find one now days?

#2 2 years ago

If someone still has a rottendog board in stock, that's pretty much the only option at the moment.

Pinballpcb.com made them for a little while a few years ago, but took a break and stopped making them.

#3 2 years ago

I have this board in the CAD software. It's about 50% complete. I haven't been able to make any progress since 2021-02-26 according to the date modified on the files. So that's about two months. I've been building boards and those take priority. I still have outstanding builds so this board is going to have to wait.

You can use a System 11 (nothing) CPU board. The address map is compatible. You will need to prepare the game and speech/sound ROMs in a specific way to meet the compatibility requirements for use on the System 11 CPU board.

The process is documented in the PinWiki @ https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Converting_the_System_9_ROM_Images_to_work_in_a_System_11_MPU if you want more information. I, personally, haven't tried it but the command sequence matches expectations based on the address decode and address map.

I make a reproduction System 11 CPU board and Pinball Life carries the Rottendog MPU9211 if you're looking for the Rottendog board.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If someone still has a rottendog board in stock, that's pretty much the only option at the moment.
    Pinballpcb.com made them for a little while a few years ago, but took a break and stopped making them.

Which Rottendog board?

#5 2 years ago

Following. It’s crazy that no one has repro’d these, kept them in stock and made a bunch of money

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Following. It’s crazy that no one has repro’d these, kept them in stock and made a bunch of money

Maybe because it is a MASSIVE amount of work to gather the parts and then spend several hours assembling them - then testing?

Maybe.....there just isn't any money to be made making these at any sort of sell price people would pay. Done commercially in quantities of 500pcs or more they could probably be made for about $500 each (retail).

Most boards like this are being made by people like DumbAss who are doing it for the love of pinball - he certainly isn't "making a killing" building the boards he already makes.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

It's a numbers game. Statistics according to IPDB. Units manufactured. Granted not all units have survived but ... it's a numbers game.

• Space Shuttle = 7,000
    • Sorcerer = 3,700
    • Comet = 8,100

Total System 9 games = 18,800.

• High Speed = 17,000
    • Pinbot = 12,000

Just two System 11 games = 29,000.

What would you rather spend your time reproducing?

Quoted from pins4u:

Maybe because it is a MASSIVE amount of work to gather the parts and then spend several hours assembling them - then testing?

Yes. You also forgot about the time in the CAD software for R&D, the time spent sorting out any problems and if there are problems the additional time for more R&D.

Quoted from pins4u:

Most boards like this are being made by people like DumbAss who are doing it for the love of pinball - he certainly isn't "making a killing" building the boards he already makes.

As I always tell people ... when it comes to anything pinball related ... "Don't quit your day job".

Note for the reader (not directed at Forceflow): the Rottendog board is identified as MPU9211 meaning the board supports System 9 to System 11. It is a System 11 board. In order to support a System 9 game you must prepare the game and speech/sound EPROM images as described in the PinWiki link previously provided. The board does NOT support System 9 games with the original System 9 EPROMs. This is why Pinball Life lists the board as System 11 to System 11C even though the board provided is MPU9211.

#9 2 years ago

So safe to say this on is D E A D dead

3BBCBCDE-87CB-4662-98DC-DA1D427F19C7 (resized).jpeg3BBCBCDE-87CB-4662-98DC-DA1D427F19C7 (resized).jpeg6C1FBE64-F7C4-4A54-8DFC-E59F7E5C67A0 (resized).jpeg6C1FBE64-F7C4-4A54-8DFC-E59F7E5C67A0 (resized).jpegBE5A831F-4659-46DF-AD94-69C531A2EC5B (resized).jpegBE5A831F-4659-46DF-AD94-69C531A2EC5B (resized).jpegD49C4286-5820-492A-8625-1C15F436313F (resized).jpegD49C4286-5820-492A-8625-1C15F436313F (resized).jpeg
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yowzer!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Brewchap:

I maybe looking to buy an system 9 MPU board if there is to much battery damage. Where can I find one now days?

What game is it going in? I have an original System 9 MPU with no battery damage. It has Space Shuttle ROM's in it now. As I recall it needed a couple repairs. The lamp matrix had a row or two out and there was something else. I doubt I'll ever get a System 9 game so I don't need to hang onto it. Will need to dig it out if someone needs it.

#12 2 years ago

I had a Space Shuttle that utilized a Rottendog System 11 board and had the modified ROMs. One thing to note is the board actually installs upside down in system 9. I had to use lexan washers on the mounting screws to secure it bc of the keyhole mounts.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm crazy and I would have to be really bored to even think of taking a swing at that.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Note for the reader (not directed at Forceflow): the Rottendog board is identified as MPU9211 meaning the board supports System 9 to System 11. It is a System 11 board. In order to support a System 9 game you must prepare the game and speech/sound EPROM images as described in the PinWiki link previously provided. The board does NOT support System 9 games with the original System 9 EPROMs. This is why Pinball Life lists the board as System 11 to System 11C even though the board provided is MPU9211.

Just an FYI- there is some interchange between Data East and some System 11 MPU boards.

Which begs the question if you could use a DE MPU in Space Shuttle.

#15 2 years ago

Thank you for all the info. I was hoping that Rottendog was not the only manufacturer, but it is great news that dumbass has one in the works. I got lucky and the board had no battery damage to it. I was afraid that it would since it had been setting in a basement for a long number of years.

Quoted from DumbAss:

I have this board in the CAD software. It's about 50% complete. I haven't been able to make any progress since 2021-02-26 according to the date modified on the files. So that's about two months. I've been building boards and those take priority. I still have outstanding builds so this board is going to have to wait.
    You can use a System 11 (nothing) CPU board. The address map is compatible. You will need to prepare the game and speech/sound ROMs in a specific way to meet the compatibility requirements for use on the System 11 CPU board.
    The process is documented in the PinWiki @ https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Converting_the_System_9_ROM_Images_to_work_in_a_System_11_MPU if you want more information. I, personally, haven't tried it but the command sequence matches expectations based on the address decode and address map.
    I make a reproduction System 11 CPU board and Pinball Life carries the Rottendog MPU9211 if you're looking for the Rottendog board.

This is great to know, it opens up a lot of options.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Just an FYI- there is some interchange between Data East and some System 11 MPU boards.

Here's the compatibility chart:

• DE CPU revision 00/01/02 - incompatible due to lack of CPU control of solenoids 17-22
    • DE CPU revision 03/04 - only compatible with System 11C with additional solenoid 17-22 remapping support

Any Data East CPU board revision is incompatible with Williams System 11, 11A and 11B. The Data East CPU board does not have a speech/sound section that is required by Williams System 11, 11A and 11B. The 8x PIA I/O ports are unused on the Data East CPU board.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Which begs the question if you could use a DE MPU in Space Shuttle.

System 9 has an onboard (integrated) speech/sound section not present on the Data East CPU board and is therefore incompatible.

Quoted from Brewchap:

... dumbass has one in the works.

I am close to getting back to zero on my board build list (for non immediate requests) so I may be able to return to this (try to complete it in about one week of development time). If anything it will make a good break from endless board building.

The board is planned to be a 100% plug-and-play solution. Current 2716 and 2732 EPROMs will work. It will mount "right side up". Some improvements I am thinking of adding:

• Onboard fuses to individually fuse the special solenoid drive transistors
    • Onboard special solenoid switch indicators
    • Optional daughter board to obviate the need for the sound support board

None of those additions are set in stone because I haven't laid out the board. Feasibility will depend on available board real estate.

1 month later
    #17 2 years ago

I have a couple of them for sale if you are still looking.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I have a couple of them for sale if you are still looking.

Pm sent

#19 2 years ago

I have this one that was a spare if I ever needed it when I had a Space Shuttle but now that it’s gone, no need to keep it. The board has zero acid damage and would just need a few of the missing components added back but it’s clean. (See pictures)would also need a battery holder unless you plan to do NVRAM.

31F0C026-1EE2-49C1-8ED7-6DB61398DB1B (resized).jpeg31F0C026-1EE2-49C1-8ED7-6DB61398DB1B (resized).jpegF9C81753-377A-4AC3-AE50-92CE1F29AA17 (resized).jpegF9C81753-377A-4AC3-AE50-92CE1F29AA17 (resized).jpegCE7CE97B-7E86-44D6-8B71-E4223FB43D0B (resized).jpegCE7CE97B-7E86-44D6-8B71-E4223FB43D0B (resized).jpeg
    5 months later
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

I have this one that was a spare if I ever needed it when I had a Space Shuttle but now that it’s gone, no need to keep it.

Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I have an original System 9 MPU with no battery damage. It has Space Shuttle ROM's in it now. As I recall it needed a couple repairs. The lamp matrix had a row or two out and there was something else. I doubt I'll ever get a System 9 game so I don't need to hang onto it. Will need to dig it out if someone needs it.

Did either of you end up letting these MPUs go? I'm looking for a replacement.

#21 2 years ago

Mine was sold

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-a-system-9-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.