Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by gac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Glen_139.jpg
    Glen_140.jpg
    Glen_138.jpg
    Glen_136.jpg
    Glen_135.jpg
    Glen_134.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Where can i find a good price on 12v led's?

#2 11 years ago

I could have sworn I bought some through superbrightleds.com for my mame cab. I couldn't locate them on their website though. I'd give them a call. They may not have them on their website anymore but they may be able to get some for you or advise you where to get some.

#3 11 years ago

Amazon.com search for automotive LED's. Here are blue ones that match a 555 socket..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WQ7IT2

#4 11 years ago

Just curious... what are you looking to put them in? WH2O topper? Regardless, Cointaker can help you.

#5 11 years ago

hah ha.. there arent any.. welcome to the myth of LED.. the actual LED is always a standard LED and its voltage drop will be in the region of 3.2V for white... its current draw just like plasma will determine its brightness, but its voltage is a constant. Ok.. so you want a 12V LED.. what you really want is an LED that has a driver that will run off 12V. ..Given that information, you should be able to adapt to any LED

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Retropin:

hah ha.. there arent any.. welcome to the myth of LED.. the actual LED is always a standard LED and its voltage drop will be in the region of 3.2V for white... its current draw just like plasma will determine its brightness, but its voltage is a constant. Ok.. so you want a 12V LED.. what you really want is an LED that has a driver that will run off 12V. ..Given that information, you should be able to adapt to any LED

Incorrect...Since LEDs are diodes, they generally have a diode voltage drop of about 0.8 volts, and they take about 2 volts to begin forward conduction and emit light. That means that as long as your power supply provides 2 volts or better, you can get the LED To light. The problem is they are non-linear voltage curve and need a restrictive current supply, hence the need for dropping resistors.

LEDs for pinballs (and most other devices) consists of a combination of LEDs, dropping resistors and other components in a "package". It doesn't sound like the Op wants to build an LED package, I think he wants a 12VDC package ready to go. It would help if he stated base type or game. Since 12VDC is common for autos, many LEDs are already made for this application. Found at most auto stores online or even Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/Light-bulb-automotive-applications-24LED/dp/B000M19ACQ

#8 11 years ago

I was thinking for the topper in WH2O because he owns the machine and I know it uses 194 bulbs in the waterfall topper. I just put some blue "12VDC" LED's from cointaker in my WH2O topper and it's awesome. The regular LED's would melt if put in that topper.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I was thinking for the topper in WH2O because he owns the machine and I know it uses 194 bulbs in the waterfall topper.

CT has them for sure...I've been waiting for someone to do this in a WH20 so we could see the results.
    I have cool white in my backbox and would love to see a cool white LED topper.

#10 11 years ago

I have like 8 of the blue LED's in it and left the others 194 incandescents in the topper. Four blues in the middle and then alternated out to the ends. It really looks nice. I put cool white supers in the backbox and couple blue and orange super LED's as well. Nice effect IMO.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I have like 8 of the blue LED's in it and left the others 194 incandescents in the topper. Four blues in the middle and then alternated out to the ends. It really looks nice. I put cool white supers in the backbox and couple blue and orange super LED's as well. Nice effect IMO.

Pics or it didn't happen

Serious though let's see it, sounds nice.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

I was thinking for the topper in WH2O because he owns the machine and I know it uses 194 bulbs in the waterfall topper. I just put some blue "12VDC" LED's from cointaker in my WH2O topper and it's awesome. The regular LED's would melt if put in that topper.

Winner!

The CT retros burned out quick. Got hot and fell apart. Also need them for coin slots on arcades. 2.00 each is too much imho.

#13 11 years ago

Amazon ones I linked are .99 each with Amazon Prime.

#14 10 years ago

Stryker - You can get a really nice effect by doing just the 4 middle leds in blue. Here are some pics. Tough to capture in a picture.

Glen_134.jpgGlen_134.jpg Glen_135.jpgGlen_135.jpg Glen_136.jpgGlen_136.jpg

#15 10 years ago

This site is cool for designing an array

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

#16 10 years ago

couple more pics. you can see the blue in the foil.

Glen_138.jpgGlen_138.jpg Glen_140.jpgGlen_140.jpg Glen_139.jpgGlen_139.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-12v-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.