Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SuperB
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2980 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2250 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2249 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I've always wanted to restore an old pinball machine but never pulled the trigger until this one fell in my lap. Pretty mechanical savvy and heavy into high end rc trucks but this is uncharted territory. Looking for advise on where to even begin....,

IMG_2249 (resized).JPGIMG_2249 (resized).JPG

IMG_2250 (resized).JPGIMG_2250 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Get new rubber and novus and clean it up. The addiction gets worse from there.

#3 6 years ago

Rubbers and a good cleaning for sure. First I'd like to get it fired up. Vacuumed out the critter mess and plugged it in but nada....

#4 6 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Quoted from Kneissl:

Get new rubber and novus and clean it up. The addiction gets worse from there.

don't forget shooter tip & ball(s). probably fuse holders check for correct fuses as well

get it playable so you can enjoy it right away

#5 6 years ago

Rubbers, light bulbs, a good cleaning of the playfield, and flipper rebuild kits if needed.

If the machine needs repairs, then get out a ream of paper, plenty of ink, and print out this repair guide:

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

If the machine needs repairs, then get out a ream of paper, plenty of ink, and print out this repair guide:

Yup - that's about where I am on the Monte Carlo I picked up last month. Having the schematic is really helpful... fortunately they are frequently available for download from ipdb.com.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#7 6 years ago

Uh oh. They multiply like rabbits.

IMG_2980 (resized).JPGIMG_2980 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Great game. Good luck

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Uh oh. They multiply like rabbits. Since it doesn't do anything start with fuses and loose wires.

Haha thanks y'all. That's where I wanted to start but just need some reassurance. Also downloaded the manuals and wiring diagrams.

#10 6 years ago

Good luck with your new addiction! Btw.... nice name. Did ya try mine when you joined but it was taken?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Good luck with your new addiction! Btw.... nice name. Did ya try mine when you joined but it was taken?

Lol no I did try my usual Super B tho hahahaha

#12 6 years ago

I recently restored a flip flop as well! For me I jumped head first into the em world and my advice is to dive in and learn the ins and outs of each subsystem as you go because if you play it enough something will require service. As you have heard it is a gateway drug!

#13 6 years ago

Got it to turn on but nothing happens. Game over light stays lit. I even put quarters in it LOL. Stumped as of now.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperB:

Got it to turn on but nothing happens. Game over light stays lit. I even put quarters in it LOL. Stumped as of now.

No worries, this will be a common experience with machines that sit a long time!

1) Check the fuses. There will be a fuse block and might be a single near the center of the playfield.

2) Ballys of that vintage will have a trouble some "main relay" just below the score motor. Its the double coil relay on the left side, just below it. Try cleaning the contacts and adjusting, just giving it a poke might be enough to provoke it into life.

3) Try turning the score motor by hand, it only goes one way and watch your fingers! Be prepared to let go of the cam the instant it starts moving. Gently rotate it, not much pressure will be needed. Switches here are frequently dirty.

Gary "I got Mopars too" Donovan

#15 6 years ago

Well I'm going to give up for the time being. Tried all of the above today and no dice. Actually getting less action on the relays now so....... Need to get some other finish-able projects done/listed/sold so I can put more time in the machine.

Seriously thinking about cleaning off the pool table and pulling it completely apart and laying it out so I can thoroughly clean/test things. Please someone talk me out of that idea LOL

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperB:

Well I'm going to give up for the time being. Tried all of the above today and no dice. Actually getting less action on the relays now so....... Need to get some other finish-able projects done/listed/sold so I can put more time in the machine.
    Seriously thinking about cleaning off the pool table and pulling it completely apart and laying it out so I can thoroughly clean/test things. Please someone talk me out of that idea LOL

from "Clays guide" ... http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#top

A Word of Wisdom and Caution...
    When I first started getting into EM games, a well experienced repair friend stated, "if every switch contact in the machine is clean and properly adjusted, your game will work perfectly". I thought to myself, "I can clean and adjust contacts and get this Nip-It working myself!" (Nip-It was my first EM fixit project.) Unfortunately, this statement is an over-simplification of the truth.

I did clean and check (and often adjusted) every contact on that Nip-It game. And in reality, his advice did NOT work. I ended up with a game that worked far worse than when I started. I created problems that weren't there in the first place. This was mostly because I didn't have the experience to tell when a switch really needed adjustment.

There is a moral to this story: "if you're new to EM games, don't fix or adjust what isn't broken."

my first EM it took me about 3 days of just reading through them pages , watching the video's, and hunting for Super Lube ( ACE hardware has it on the shelf ) then about 4 days of poking and prodding til something made a bit of sense.

I dunno if the whole bottom panel on that is on a hinge-gizmo or not like pictured in this post for easier service https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-docs-exist-for-a-1969-bally-joust#post-3567992

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperB:

Pull the main board out of the cabinet isn't hard and a good investment in time. Check solder connection on all the relays and coils too.

#18 6 years ago

Yeah defiantly more reading is needed. Weird part is I've gotten more lights to work now but last night the coin relays were working along with the credit and another relay (can't remember right now) but today only the lock relay is actuating. The 5 fuses I've found seem to be ok and I've clean them and their contacts.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperB:

The 5 fuses I've found seem to be ok and I've clean them and their contacts.

Seem? Check them with an ohm meter.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperB:

Looking for advise on where to even begin....

Start simple, work forward.
    You are already jumping ahead based on enthusiasm based on listed posts.
    There are better ways than "trial and error" learning.

Learn to read pinball schematics and electro-mechanical operation, before attempting to conduct any repairs.
    Know your terminology for proper assistance, "thingy" talk is confusing.
    Assume nothing, no guesswork, do not jump logical repair steps (such as a coil is "bad" before testing wiring continuity or voltages)
    Become an expert on the title itself, its specific functions, features, and operation.
    This means watching a game (even if on a YouTube video) that actually works properly to see how it is supposed to behave.

Your ears are most important in diagnosing pinball machines than even your eyes or nose which applies to all types of pinball repair.

Ensure the game is UNPLUGGED while working on EM games, except during directly feature, switch, coil, motor assembly, or score reel testing, there are no exceptions to this rule, and this is almost always broken by novices.
    Did you know the high voltage is running inside the game, even when the power switch is off?
    This particularly includes things like using a soldering iron with the game ON or plugged in!!!

Replace the grounded plug, immediately, if already cut, and check for grounding issues FIRST.
    Next, validate all fuses, their values, and condition of wires and clips before further diagnosis of physical operation.
    Buy the right tools, upfront, and add to your tool kit as you go.

Follow these universal first steps, and you will be successful.

"Fiddling with wires", replacing rubber rings, and light bulbs is not proper pinball repair education.
    Reading repair guides alone does not replace physical learned skills, and normally leads to overestimation of abilities, consistently.
    Ask for help, as needed, do not be proud.
    Many have come before you, and know how to advise, but understand that EM repair is a dying skill.
    Know your parts suppliers specific to EM games, as they are not that many, for all that is pinball holy, don't piss them off.

#21 6 years ago

Here is my recommendation. First, replace all fuses. they are cheap. Second clean and gap all switches, it's easy and it will eliminate a lot of hidden issues.

#22 6 years ago

1) Move your thread to the EM Tech forum or start a new one with a more detailed description in post.

2) Get to know this website http://pbresource.com and introduce yourself to Mr. Steve Young, your new best friend.

#23 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I'll start a new thread in tech form once I've started back one it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-begin-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.