(Topic ID: 238917)

Where should the #455 blinker bulbs go on El Dorado?

By AdjustFailure

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I picked up some #455 blinkers to put into El Dorado since I noticed it is listed as part of the parts list for that game.

Upon inspection, it appears that just the four sockets behind the El Dorado logo are the only place where blinkers would go?

Is that correct? And, is there another place anyone has found that is appealing e.g. behind the sun on back glass or could that cause heat/flaking
since #455 are a bit higher wattage than #44 bulb?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from AdjustFailure:

I picked up some #455 blinkers to put into El Dorado since I noticed it is listed as part of the parts list for that game.
Upon inspection, it appears that just the four sockets behind the El Dorado logo are the only place where blinkers would go?
Is that correct? And, is there another place anyone has found that is appealing e.g. behind the sun on back glass or could that cause heat/flaking
since #455 are a bit higher wattage than #44 bulb?

Typically (not sure about GTB) the light board was dished out around the sockets for the lamps to fit because of the globe shaped glass bulb. If you try putting it in another location the lamp doesn't always want to fit easily. Also, I wouldn't worry about heat from these lamps as they run extremely cool due to that they're on maybe 1/2 of the time. They just blink, they don't flash.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

light board was dished out around the sockets

Yes I did notice the four sockets behind the game logo were a little bigger so that was a clue where to put them. So I guess that is it.

I just saw a video online where they put a blinker bulb (or so it appears) under the playfield roll-over in the middle of the game.

Could be cool at first but might become distracting after the novelty wears off ....

#4 5 years ago

The schematic usually shows where they go. This vid seems to only show them behind the title, like you mentioned. But it's your game!!

#5 5 years ago

Ok thanks ... I might put a blinker under the SPECIAL when lit just to check it out.

By the way, on that video above, the upper flippers have no rubbers on them ... I wonder if that is a thing,
or they are just randomly missing ... ?

#6 5 years ago

I put the blinkers behind the El Dorado logo and it really looks nice. Can't think of anywhere else that would work as well.

#7 5 years ago

I sometimes use them behind the Game Over text on the backglass. In those cases though, there's no other blinking bulbs on the backglass.

#8 5 years ago

Also a blinking bulb could/should be in the 'Game Over' location. Kind of an early version of attraction mode.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I sometimes use them behind the Game Over text on the backglass.

I usually put one there, too.

#10 5 years ago

have a look at the back of the lightboard, the sockets for blinking bulbs is different than the others
they are also wired in to only come on when the game is over, so these bulbs will not be part if the GI circuit
usually just one or two

blinking bulbs in the title looks great, but it is not authentic

#11 5 years ago

Agree with others here. I usually only stick the #455s in the backglass behind the game title. I don't usually like to put them in the playfield, as it just doesn't feel right. I've seen a lot of people stick them behind Game Over, but I don't do that either. The dished out wood areas are where they're "supposed" to go though.

At the end of the day, you can stick the blinkers anywhere you like. Do what looks best to you!

As a completely unrelated aside, I do kinda miss how Gottlieb would actually turn off the lights behind the title when a game was started. It was a nice refinement to have, so the blinkers didn't distract the player during gameplay (I assume).

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I do kinda miss how Gottlieb would actually turn off the lights behind the title when a game was started. It was a nice refinement to have, so the blinkers didn't distract the player

Yeah! Spin A Card did that, others?

#13 5 years ago

My 2001 does it. It might be a large generalization, but I think the Single player games that have the ball display in the lower apron all turn the game logo off during gameplay.

Which brings me to another completely unrelated aside: Those Gottlieb illuminated score cards/instruction cards are fantastic looking. I wish they continued that as well.

#14 5 years ago

The destroyed El Dorado barn find I picked up (and recently brought back to life) had all its (presumably) original GE bulbs inside, including blinkers exclusively behind the logo.

It looks nice lit up. I agree a "game over" blink might be nice too, though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-should-the-455-blinker-bulbs-go-on-el-dorado?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.