(Topic ID: 177449)

Where or what website are most people using to sell the machines?

By BroncoBob

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Hey guys - I've been out of the loop for a while, I was looking at the archived market place closed ads here on Pinside and it looks like most ads are shut down or it says sold elsewhere - where is elsewhere?

EBAY(hate it), CRAIGSLIST(brutal), MR PINBALL, SOMEWHERE ELSE?

I am going to list my 12 pins here for sure, but just wondering if there is another site too.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

#2 7 years ago

I have used Mr Pinball & Craigslist (never eBay), but most buying/selling has come from Pinside or word-of-mouth from people I know. While the other avenues are free, the fees are very reasonable here and supports a site that I use daily. I also like that you can see what kind of person you're dealing with based on their posting history.

#3 7 years ago

I would love to know the answer to that also. I have had decent luck selling on Craig's List in the past but there is just too much weird stuff happening their these days, eBay's 10% makes that a tough venue, and Mr Pinball seems a little more complicated.

A few people have told me about some Facebook sites they have had luck with. Any other suggestions?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from BroncoBob:

Hey guys - I've been out of the loop for a while, I was looking at the archived market place closed ads here on Pinside and it looks like most ads are shut down or it says sold elsewhere - where is elsewhere?
    EBAY(hate it), CRAIGSLIST(brutal), MR PINBALL, SOMEWHERE ELSE?
    I am going to list my 12 pins here for sure, but just wondering if there is another site too.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bob

In general I think people list them here, on local FB groups, on local forums, and on local clist.

That said, I sent you a PM

Let me know what you have and want to sell. I am close enough to be a buyer.

#5 7 years ago

I have bought a few off pinside in the last year or two, but find pinside to be a pain when selling. Have a lot better luck with facebook groups and some with craigslist. Oddly enough I have had a number of instances where I sold/traded to someone using one of those sites and the person turns out to be a pinsider who never saw my ad on here.

I also list on Mr pinball and Klov, but have near zero luck with those sites. People who contact me off mr pinball almost always are retailers. KLOV is not geared toward pinball and while I get interest, distance is usually the problem.

#6 7 years ago

In this order:

Word of mouth
    Facebook
    Pinside
    Craigslist

I've bought via all these methods and sold through all of them except Pinside. (My area has a very active pinball group on Facebook which somewhat supplants the need for the Pinside market).

#7 7 years ago

I would sell a machine in this order:
    Friends (word of mouth)
    Mr Pinball
    Pinside

Stay AWAY from Craigslist. It's dangerous.

#8 7 years ago

Mr.Pinball

You might try Pinside under Chicago sellers and traders.
    I remember you ads in the past your games are pristine.

Sorry to hear your selling them all?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I would sell a machine in this order:
    Friends (word of mouth)
    Mr Pinball
    Pinside

I am curious about your comment that Craigslist is "dangerous". Care to elaborate? I agree that one needs to be safe but maybe I don't know something I should

Thanks

G

#10 7 years ago

I prefer pinside. You get a few guys on here that ask crazy shit like driving 4+hrs to them to sell them a game but overall most guys are decent and just trying to enjoy pinball like everyones else on the site thats not out to get over somebody. Craigslist on the other hand is frustrating to deal with usually. Lowballers, guys wanting to trade total junk for almost new games, rude people in general when dealing with CL since alot of people hide behind the anonymous email system. Mr pinball takes like 3 days to post a ad and usually by then game is sold, alittle old fashioned with Mr P. Otherwise i dont use social media sites, i avoid them completely.

#11 7 years ago

In this order:
    Pinside
    Contact random people that asked if the game was for sale (when it wasn't) and seeing if they are still interested.
    League
    Shows
    Ebay
    RPG

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I've bought around half my games off CL, so YES! STAY AWAY FROM CL! THE HORROR!

(More for me!)

Danger Dan

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

I am curious about your comment that Craigslist is "dangerous". Care to elaborate? I agree that one needs to be safe ...

It's no more dangerous than any other classifieds medium that doesn't track the user.
    The key difference is knowing who you're dealing with. Pinside & Facebook you generally are able to research the person a lot. Craigslist you need to spend a little more effort (and you should).

How risky is carrying a few thousand dollars around to you? Taking it to your buddy's house is probably fine, taking it to a random person's house is more risky but still probably fine.

#15 7 years ago

I do most of my buying and selling these days with local friends/collectors. Just through word of mouth, I can often find a game I'm looking for, or become aware of someone who is looking for a game I want to sell. The next place I turn is always Pinside, and I've had good luck here. I avoid craigslist like the plague.

#16 7 years ago

I always list machines I'm selling in the Pinside Marketplace, along with Craigslist, and sometimes the FaceBook group Pinball Machines for Sale.

Craigslist got me a sale on Starship Troopers and Spring Break, both excellent buyers, no issues. But lots of tire kickers and low ballers came from the Craigslist crowd. Pinside helped me sell Hot Shots last week which was also listed on Craigslist. Turning the Marketplace ad into a forum topic helps get more exposure, but be ready for some occasional ignorant comments, the price police, and any pictures of the game being gone over with a microscope, depending how you list and price it. FaceBook has nice comments and feedback, but hasn't done anything for me other than that.

#17 7 years ago

Most of it's word of mouth now. Many games that are being sold are gone quickly and there's no need to put it on any site. Occasionally I still have to list a game for sale but it really depends on the title and the price point as many people are being priced out these days who are only looking to spend MAYBE $1000, while it seems everyone wants a game for $500 and a lifetime warranty.

John

#18 7 years ago

Seems latley the facebook pinball pages work pretty well for me if i dont have a friend buy it first.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Most of it's word of mouth now. Many games that are being sold are gone quickly and there's no need to put it on any site. Occasionally I still have to list a game for sale but it really depends on the title and the price point as many people are being priced out these days who are only looking to spend MAYBE $1000, while it seems everyone wants a game for $500 and a lifetime warranty.
    John

Are you offering that??
    If so, I'm in...

#20 7 years ago

I've purchased off of the "Letgo" site this past year (similar to Craigslist). Bought two EMs and a puck bowler.

#21 7 years ago

Ok. In the last 5 years, 26 machines have passed through my hands. Here's the count for where they came from:
    CL: 11
    Pinside: 6
    RGP: 4
    Word of mouth/networking: 5

BTW: Every one of my CL transactions has been beauty. Several even held games for me without a deposit for several days until I could pick up. Guess I've just been lucky that way.

Never more than 600 dollah in cash money.

#22 7 years ago

From an Aussie perspective with zero local forum affiliations/loyalties:

I use ebay to reach a wide an audience as possible if it is a high end/high priced pinball machine since there are only a limited number of buyers here in Aus with that kind of disposable income to justify regular pinball purchases on that price point.

I have also occasionally used gumtree (similar to craigslist) but being essentially free to list,buy and sell there are a lot of anonymous time wasters that inevitably come as part of transacting on that site.

I use word of mouth if I need to clear some surplus machine stock from imported container loads mainly dealing with a core local group of pinball fans I have established business relationships with over time and who will make the transaction as hassle free as possible and who I know will not bring any baggage into the transaction/negotiation.

For Aussie collectors looking to get into the hobby, I also highly recommend this local facebook group set up by a couple of domestic collectors who can be relied on for integrity and professionalism in the administration of the group without nepotism or commercial interests clouding their judgement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497239890571190/

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

In this order:
    Pinside
    Contact random people that asked if the game was for sale (when it wasn't) and seeing if they are still interested.
    League
    Shows
    Ebay
    RPG

Surely Craigslist has to rank somewhere. I have used it multiple times with zero issues in 3 different states. Not sure why it is not on your list anywhere? Not realistic imo.

#24 7 years ago

I'll sometimes sell a game to somebody that says they want it. Otherwise I prefer to take the ones I don't want to the local auction and cut the cord right there. And never hear from the person that bought it again.

#25 7 years ago

Thanks a lot guys

Going with Pinside and Craigslist for now

Sold 2 on Pinside

And 1 guy bought 2 off craigslist

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from FrostyMug:

Surely Craigslist has to rank somewhere. I have used it multiple times with zero issues in 3 different states. Not sure why it is not on your list anywhere? Not realistic imo.

I didn't list it because it's a complete waste of time when trying to sell a game.

#27 7 years ago

Hey guys - what about taking PayPal as payment - any downside to that???

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from BroncoBob:

Yes, there is a downside. You can lose your money.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#29 7 years ago

What about venmo? Anyone use that? I guess you can send up to 3000 a week to someone.

#30 7 years ago

1 game bought from ebay. Ebay was just where I learned of the game. The transaction took place outside of ebay.

4 games off CL. All transactions were smooth and easy.

1 game from a pinsider that I learned about through CL but then contacted through pinside. Another transaction that was smooth and easy.

1 game from a yard sale. I did a little haggling for a group of projects.

#31 7 years ago

A lot are sold on Facebook groups. A lot are also sold on pinside and the people lie about it to avoid the fees.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

A lot are sold on Facebook groups. A lot are also sold on pinside and the people lie about it to avoid the fees.

Ya some company pages will say 75 unsold and 0 sold. Kind of makes me mad because they have put that many machines up and none sold? I call bs on that

#33 7 years ago

Ive never sold any where but word of mouth.

Ive bought on craigs and by word of mouth. Never had any issues with craigs. I could see how it could be dangerous to sell, but buying is definitely a good deal.

#34 7 years ago

I always start with Pinside when listing games for sale. I then typically cross-post on two local message boards (NEACF and BPA). CL comes next, but I always try and list at a lower price on the forums than on CL. It helps offset the nonsense I have to deal with on CL.

As for games "not selling" on Pinside, I think that has a LOT to do with the honor system used here...

I'm also starting to make enough connections on here that I'm able to shoot out some text to buddies before listing my games publicly. I give even better discounts and it gives me an excuse to catch up with some of the boys. They typically return the favor.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

As for games "not selling" on Pinside, I think that has a LOT to do with the honor system used here...

I think you are over estimating pinside's viability as a selling platform. I have 4 ads for games on here. There are just the ones I made ads for and the number of machines I have gone through going back to november 2015 is probably triple that.

STTNG - Traded for a BTTF + cash. Guy found me via CL.
    NBA FB - Traded for a flinstones off cl. Incidentally traded for a Black Rose which is how I met colin on here, but he found me off klov or Cl and not here.
    BF - Traded for a RBION off CL.
    Diner - Sold off CL.

#36 7 years ago

Some experience for assistance.
    Most senior collectors do not use CL or Ebay as a primary source, especially for rare games.

In priority order:

1) Private collectors - Individual connections (best option, keeps games with the "right" people)
    2 ) Facebook - Closed collector groups (generally much more easy to get like minded people, and not just "flippers")
    3 ) Private websites - Local collectors only, not forums (removes "flippers" entirely from the picture)
    4 ) Dealer websites - Consignment sales (Keeps the "junk out of the trunk", but you will lose some profit)
    5 ) PinSide (or other forums) - General collectors (More like minded individuals, but not necessarily knowledgable)
    6 ) RGP - General collectors (Will get serious offers)
    7 ) Mr Pinball - General collectors (can be a complete crapshoot now)
    8 ) Ebay (or seller "stores") - General public (ad fees are wasteful)
    9 ) CL - General public (by far the "worst" of all options, "flippers" are rampant and you will be wading through the cockroaches of society)

I start from the top of the list, if sales only, not for trades.
    These are the most common, but there are more, dependent on needs.

If I had to calculate the highest % method of the 600+ games I have bought and sold, it would be #3 (private websites) at nearly 35%, followed by #1 (private collectors) at 20%. This is only because Facebook is a "new medium" that has really only come about in less than the past 10 years.

Only in my early days did I ever really buy anything from Ebay or CL, and only a handful overall. People are really rolling the dice with Ebay, because I nearly always politely ask for additional clear photos (as the ones on ads are crap), and the the response is usually resentful or why? This is especially true for bottom side of PFs or board sets.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from BroncoBob:

Yes, a rebutted and contested PayPal sale agreement, and your funds being held or frozen in your account for weeks.
    The hassle can be unbelievable, and their customer service is complete a$$.
    The buyer can put you at the mercy of a system that not only is in their favor, but is also convoluted and mistake prone.
    Private owners (and even dealers) should not use PayPal as a means of payment, if avoidable.
    vid1900 wrote an entire PinSide thread article on Paypal, and it is exceptionally concise and accurate.
    We are not talking about a couple hundred dollars usually here, and it is not based entirely on "scammers".
    There are problems using this as a sales medium of sale for private ownership direction.

Conduct "cash and carry" as-is sales or a direct wire transfer as the primary method of sales.
    For the holy sake of pinball, make sure you create a proper SALES INVOICE for any game you sell, with signatures of both you and the buyer in duplicate, and witness if the transaction is ABOVE $10K.
    Go online and download the fillable pdf forms, they are FREE.
    Nobody seems to do this any more, but the buyer will thank you too.
    You will thank yourself when the buyer has "remorse" and wants a refund.
    People are fickle, and you only need to look at the website to see the examples.
    Money orders or certified cashier checks for large amounts is suspect, as are other means.

Here is a free invoice online creator that also works great:
    https://invoice-generator.com/#/1

Keep flipping.

#38 7 years ago

Just for fun I went though my purchase and selling history.

PURCHASED
    Craigslist (6)
    Facebook (3)
    KLOV (2)
    Individual Connections (1)
    Vendor (1)

SOLD
    Facebook (4)
    Individual Connections (2)
    Craigslist (1)
    Vendor (1)

I first got into the hobby about 6-years ago. I originally thought one machine would be perfect. I even built a "pinball closet" in my then unfinished basement. It didn't take long for me to decide that two would be better, so I took over a walk-in closet, which could hold two machines. A few years later, I took over that whole bedroom which could hold five machines. A year later, I moved to the other downstairs bedroom, which was slightly bigger and could hold six machines. While I've been up to six machines, I almost prefer being at five machines, since I have an empty space if a deal pops up. Thank you to everyone that's been a part of this journey into the world of pinball. It's been a fun 6-years.

#39 7 years ago

DO NOT TAKE PAYPAL FOR YOUR 12K+ MACHINES BOB.

#40 7 years ago

I've had good luck with Pinside and my local Facebook group. But word of mouth is still the best. Much better to sell for a bit less (or pay a bit more) in a friendly transaction with someone you know.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

In general I think people list them here, on local FB groups, on local forums, and on local clist.
    That said, I sent you a PM
    Let me know what you have and want to sell. I am close enough to be a buyer.

This is amusing only because I know what you typically look for, and have seen Bob's listings of all top shelf restored games.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Just for fun I went though my purchase and selling history.
    PURCHASED
    Craigslist (6)
    Facebook (3)
    KLOV (2)
    Individual Connections (1)
    Vendor (1)
    SOLD
    Facebook (4)
    Individual Connections (2)
    Craigslist (1)
    Vendor (1)
    I first got into the hobby about 6-years ago. I originally thought one machine would be perfect. I even built a "pinball closet" in my then unfinished basement. It didn't take long for me to decide that two would be better, so I took over a walk-in closet, which could hold two machines. A few years later, I took over that whole bedroom which could hold five machines. A year later, I moved to the other downstairs bedroom, which was slightly bigger and could hold six machines. While I've been up to six machines, I almost prefer being at five machines, since I have an empty space if a deal pops up. Thank you to everyone that's been a part of this journey into the world of pinball. It's been a fun 6-years.

Is there a set Pinball Facebook page for selling? (and buying) > link?

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This is amusing only because I know what you typically look for, and have seen Bob's listings of all top shelf restored games.

There were no listings when i made a comment. Either way, i attempted to purchase one game but it was already sold.

I don't think you know my typical...

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

I follow the "Midwest Pinball and Arcade Collectors" and "Pinball For Sale" pages. I also have had some success buying and selling on non-pinball specific pages. I think a lot of people use these as an alternative to Craigslist.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

There are multiple closed group pages, all generated by individuals for regions and types of collectors. Do a keyword search, such as "pinball sale "

#46 7 years ago

I check with my close Michigan pinball friends first......then here and also Facebook groups.

#47 7 years ago

I am not on Facebook - Dinosaur ,right - I know! Thanks for the advice fellas. So far I am doing pretty well just listing and selling thru Pinside. And, yes I am admitting it and paying the fees. It's not that much, and after all Pinside is providing a helpful service. All the people on Pinside I have met and bought from or sold to - they have been fantastic to work with. I DID NOT TAKE A PAYPAL THANKS TO YOUR GUY'S INPUT. So far I have sold 2 off Craigslist - SM, TFLE. And, 2 off Pinside, with 2 more pending on Pinside

Thanks again, guys.

Bob

#48 7 years ago

I've bought a few off Craigslist. Usually you can get a pretty good idea if it is on the level from the eventual conversation by phone. I always take a buddy, both as a security measure and to help move the pin. I once went into a sketchy neighborhood and probably should have walked away, but it was alright. I just wanted to get out of there before the sun went down.

Ebay went ok, most of the time, and has the disadvantage of fees and shipping. I've never used Mr. Pinball but look at it frequently. Pinside worked well - bought one game through a Pinsider and arranged a trade with another.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from BroncoBob:

I am not on Facebook - Dinosaur ,right - I know! ...

me either, as an IT guy, I really do not like facebook!

so im a pinside guy, and craigslist if nothing else. (although I am more of a buyer, than a seller. I have only sold one machine.)

#50 7 years ago

Bought my first pin off pinball universe. Overpaid for a roadshow. They did an awesome job shopping it out and it was in beautiful condition with virtually zero wear. I learned from online buying and will only get stuff i can see in person via craigslist or pinside

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-or-what-website-are-most-people-using-to-sell-the-machines/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.