(Topic ID: 194447)

Where is Your limit of effort for currency to fund pinball?

By Yelobird

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Where is Your limit of effort for currency to fund pinball?”

• I would bend down to pick up a quarter No less! 12 votes
    12%
  • I would bend down to pick up a dime or more! 3 votes
    3%
  • I would bend down to pick up a nickel or more! 10 votes
    10%
  • I would bend down to pick up Any currency, It's Free money and it all adds up!! 76 votes
    75%

(101 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8717 (resized).JPG
mickey-coin (resized).png
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

While this is slightly off topic we are all Technically in the coin op business as Pinball collectors. For the past 2 days I have traveled around the Chicago land area with the Simple task of finding a bank, store, or other that I could take my loose coins (90% quarters) in to deposit or convert to manageable cash. No takers! My bank of 20 years as well as 6 others looked at me as if I was trying to sell them counterfeit wood chips! I was told "sorry sir, we do not accept coins for deposit or currency Unless you carry them in sorted, counted, and rolled for our distribution."? Huh? Also with each visit they looked at me with my container of coin (roughly $200) as if I was an unwanted street panhandler. (Lol) Since when has the American coin lost all value? They no longer view it as currency worthy of deposit? Is the dollar next? The five dollar bill? Cash in general? I'm not old per say nor am I economically challenged but when did the value of American US coin currency devalue itself to 0? A personal rant my appology in advance but the mighty US dollar (or coin) used to mean something, now it seems like Visa or AX and online banking are the new service only standard.....Sad

#2 6 years ago

No bank I know of around me will accept a large lot of coin unless it's rolled and in paper coin wrapper. So the bank you went to is on point,they are not going to count and roll it for you. Too much labor for them.
-Mike

#3 6 years ago

It take times and effort to sort/count change, and small branches don't usually have a coin counting machine. Or if they do, they charge extra for using it.

One large branch near me as has a coin counting machine and will do it for free if you have an account with them.

There are "coinstar" machines in a couple of larger supermarkets in my area, but they charge a percentage (a whopping 11.9% ) as a service fee.

#4 6 years ago

My bank has a coin counting machine. Drop your coins in the hopper, get a receipt that you can cash or deposit at the teller window. Service is free for customers, they charge a percentage for non-customers to use the service.

Similarly, my local grocery store has the same type of machines-- but they take 10% for use of the machine.

Edit: Given our proximity, Forceflow is talking about the same grocery chain... 11.9%? Yikes!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There are "coinstar" machines in a couple of larger supermarkets in my area

I see these at grocery stores...I think they charge a small percentage?

#6 6 years ago

The bank we did business with for years sold out a couple years ago and new bank removed their coin counting machine. After finding that out and dealing with "coinstar" once I decided to be smart about things and now I just go to self check out at Wal-Mart and feed my change into that (like feeding a slot machine). Typically I limit that to $2 or $3 at a time and try to do it when there isn't a line but paying 12% to coinstar just didn't make sense to me.

If you have $200 in change that would be $24 for the honor of using their machine.

Anyway - it is pretty crazy the world we live in.

What ever you do don't go to a fast food place and give them change. Most people in those places have no clue what to do. Say your bill is $7.32 - if you give them the 32 cents 9 times out of 10 they will give you two dollars back instead of three!

#7 6 years ago

I think this is pretty standard practice now. We store all our loose change in jars for our annual vacation, and to cash it in we either have to roll it and take it to the bank or use one of the coinstar machines.

There are some local banks that have free coinstar machines inside if you are depositing the money, I am just too lazy to switch to them. The annual counting and rolling of the coins is also a pre-vacation tradition now. We make a big deal with the kids over the dinner or two that it pays for.

#8 6 years ago

Sometimes you can avoid the Coinstar fee when they have gift card promotions. At least once they had a +20% bonus for buying TRUS cards too. Check the promotion screen. You can also sometimes avoid the fee if you get credit for the store it's in.

But, yeah, otherwise never use the thing...

#9 6 years ago

Don't save coins then. Spend them at the same places that gave them to you in the first place.

#10 6 years ago

OK I should note the bank in question (BMO) has had a coin counting machine for Many years. I am aware nor would I expect the teller to stack and coin my currency. Dump in machine and bring deposit slip up to teller, done. They said they got rid of the coin sorting technology because it wasn't profitable??? Since when is accepting currency of Any denomination for deposit not profitable? Based on my interest rate to Banking fee's my guess is it is profittable. Anyway, yes I know there are machines that do this just can't find them any longer. Branch service has moved to a less service, more online promotion.

#11 6 years ago

The other answer instead of hoarding coins and not spending them is to say "keep the change".

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think this is pretty standard practice now. We store all our loose change in jars for our annual vacation, and to cash it in we either have to roll it and take it to the bank or use one of the coinstar machines.
There are some local banks that have free coinstar machines inside if you are depositing the money, I am just too lazy to switch to them. The annual counting and rolling of the coins is also a pre-vacation tradition now. We make a big deal with the kids over the dinner or two that it pays for.

I guess thats more my rub. At what point do coins technically have no value? That currency (coins or otherwise) you collected more than likely was payment for labor which depending on your level was taxed 35-50%. Paying another 10-15% for someone to take it seems like a lost cause and wasteful to a point? I do remember (not that old!!) as a kid going to McDonalds etc with every coin I saved to get a lunch or buy something at the store.... Today my guess is they would tell you to piss off? Kids will be needing credit cards in 3rd grade soon to go along with their iPhones! Dam, I think I am old........

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The other answer instead of hoarding coins and not spending them is to say "keep the change".

So to answer honestly, if at every store you shopped at your change was $3.95 you would say keep the .95 every time? Hmm, I am definitely more frugal than I thought then.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

At what point do coins technically have no value?

When you aren't spending them.

#15 6 years ago

Yeah, my bank also has a coin counting machine that is free to use for members, and there is a fee for non-members. I am surprised all bank chains don't have this as an option.

#16 6 years ago

I have no issue with this at USbank. I've taken in hundreds of dollars worth of quarters, loose in a box. Took them 2 min to dump in their machine and give me cash.

#17 6 years ago

The way I see it is if I have to stand in line at 7-11 while the customer in front of me spends all day fiddle farting around trying to get his credit card to work so he can get a stick of gum or takes his time picking lottery tickets then he can wait while I count out pennies towards my purchase.

But nice guy I am I already have them counted before I go in there. If the clerk wants to count them again, that's up to him.

#18 6 years ago

It's been a long, long time since any bank will just take a container full of loose change. It all needs to be be sorted and wrapped.

I picked up a refurbished Cassida C200 that can sort and put coins into rolled paper tubes automatically. You program each domination based on how many coins fit in a tube. It shuts off when each tube is filled so you can put in an empty paper sleeve. Saves a lot of time.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The way I see it is if I have to stand in line at 7-11 while the customer in front of me spends all day fiddle farting around trying to get his credit card to work so he can get a stick of gum or takes his time picking lottery tickets then he can wait while I count out pennies towards my purchase.
But nice guy I am I already have them counted before I go in there. If the clerk wants to count them again, that's up to him.

Fair and I agree with your view.

#20 6 years ago

I just have a thing against saving coins since my Sparkletts bottle full of them mysteriously disappeared back in the late 80s. Never again.

#21 6 years ago

Why are you guys trading in quarters? I just went to my bank yesterday (that still has the coin processing machine) to trade in my other coins...for quarters! I want to have plenty of quarters in my car in case I find myself in the vicinity of a pinball machine.

#22 6 years ago

My wife still saves change, so we take them to coinstar every few years. There is usually a choice to get an amazon gift card or something to avoid the fees. If not, it is more than worth the fee to not have to roll the stupid things.
I only use cash when I have to, which fortunately is getting more rare, so change is really not a big issue. The change I accumulate now would probably be $5 a year.

#23 6 years ago

Bending over requires far too much effort and triggers PTSD from my prison days.

Now, I just start Kickstarter campaigns to fund new machines.

#24 6 years ago

For anybody that hates dealing with change, I will make it easy for you.

Send me all your 1964 and prior dimes, quarters, and halves, and all your 1982 and prior pennies, and I will sort them, count them, roll them and give you twice face value. I've got the time, so why not.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from bkfiv:

Why are you guys trading in quarters? I just went to my bank yesterday (that still has the coin processing machine) to trade in my other coins...for quarters! I want to have plenty of quarters in my car in case I find myself in the vicinity of a pinball machine.

Funny you mentioned that, Years ago when I started into this hobby I used to go to the bank and Get quarters for my machines. This all ended when the bottom of my Alien Poker machine Actually fell through! Quarters everywhere! I didn't realize how much I was feeding it as I basically used it as a family piggy bank. After Many days of cabinet repair our home became a Freeplay arcade. Lol.

#26 6 years ago

here in Australia, we got rid of 1 and 2 cent coins 30 years ago. i wish we woukd do away with 5c as well

plastic is the way of the future

#27 6 years ago

Both my bank and credit union have free coin counters for customers. US Bank.
I constantly look for change on the street and keep a yearly count. Last years find was $27.63. This year is barely a buck so far.

#28 6 years ago

My local banks have always had a change counting machine. You dump in the change and it counts and sorts them. If you have an account they provide this service free of charge. Maybe I am just spoiled by my banks? On the other hand I am not bringing in $200 worth, maybe $50 is the most I've ever had.

#29 6 years ago

Fidelity National, the lion bank, has free change counting machines in all of its branches. But I don't think it has branches north of the Mason Dixon line. Try your credit union.

#30 6 years ago

I use Coinstar and go with the Amazon gift card for no fees as mentioned by a previous poster.

#31 6 years ago

Coinstar is a rip off as I caught one counting dimes as pennies, but if you are so lazy that you must use one, I recommend putting in all the pennies first.

#32 6 years ago

My US Bank in Woodridge has a coin counting machine-free for account holders.

Last resort-most Jewel's have a Coinstar, but I agree that they are a ripoff......

#33 6 years ago

I usually just stand on the street corner flipping a quarter with my thumb just to look like a bad ass.

mickey-coin (resized).pngmickey-coin (resized).png

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

here in Australia, we got rid of 1 and 2 cent coins 30 years ago. i wish we woukd do away with 5c as well

I think there is talk of the Aussie 5 cent coin being scrapped here. Everything will be rounded to the nearest 10. I have no doubt that one day soon we will live in a cashless society.

With that being said, since when does a bank not accept legal tender of any kind. That surprises me.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

What did they do, have a deadline to deposit it or just one day say those coins are now worthless?

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

What did they do, have a deadline to deposit it or just one day say those coins are now worthless?

they still have a value, you can still take them to a bank.
but businesses round your total up or down to the nearest 5c

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

With that being said, since when does a bank not accept legal tender of any kind. That surprises me.

Pretty sure the bank just wanted the coins rolled? I don't think any bank will let you just walk in with a jar full of coins and pocket lint and give you cash

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSinner:

I think there is talk of the Aussie 5 cent coin being scrapped here. Everything will be rounded to the nearest 10. I have no doubt that one day soon we will live in a cashless society.

sadly they announce last year that the 5c will stay for at least anothe 5 years

legal tender is another thing, not sure of the exact wording, but i dont have to accept a $5 payment in 5c coins

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Coinstar is a rip off as I caught one counting dimes as pennies, but if you are so lazy that you must use one, I recommend putting in all the pennies first.

If you count the time it takes to count and roll coins to take to the bank, I would say it is not laziness, but an effective use of time to go to coinstar.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

the time it takes to count and roll coins to take to the bank

Why would you need to do that when coins are spendable currency?

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

People who try to use more than $0.99 to make a purchase are just being antisocial, that is what bills are for. If you tried to make a $1000 purchase with $1s or $5s, most places would turn you down as well. Maybe up to $1500 - $2000 makes sense for $20s...maybe.

You can use your change a dollar or two at a time, and no one will give you a hard time (except pennies, that is just rude). More than that, and you are just unnecessarily making the transaction more difficult. If a bank won't take your coins without you doing the labor, then it is probably telling you that what you are trying to do is not worth anyone's time to help you for free.

I have ran to the store with $10 or so in quarters (leftover from playing pinball and arcade games) to grab something quickly. I apologized, and they grudgingly accepted it. I was being rude, and I admitted it.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

People who try to use more than $0.99 to make a purchase are just being antisocial, that is what bills are for. If you tried to make a $1000 purchase with $1s or $5s, most places would turn you down as well. Maybe up to $1500 - $2000 makes sense for $20s...maybe.
You can use your change a dollar or two at a time, and no one will give you a hard time (except pennies, that is just rude). More than that, and you are just unnecessarily making the transaction more difficult. If a bank won't take your coins without you doing the labor, then it is probably telling you that what you are trying to do is not worth anyone's time to help you for free.
I have ran to the store with $10 or so in quarters (leftover from playing pinball and arcade games) to grab something quickly. I apologized, and they grudgingly accepted it. I was being rude, and I admitted it.

i will try to keep track of how many people today use more than 20 coins to pay for their purchace in my bakery

#43 6 years ago

The quarters I bring home are fed to machines that are set up to take them. The rest of the coins are stored in shoe boxes.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

People who try to use more than $0.99 to make a purchase are just being antisocial

Well, I feel the same about those that use a credit card for purchases under $5. And that's being generous.

I just carry enough change to cover the change required. And sometimes use 4 quarters instead of a dollar bill. There is no reason change should accumulate much faster than you can get rid of it.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Because I don't want to get behind some old goon who is trying to pay for their soda and chips at the 7-11 in coins, because the cashier is going to have to count that mess to verify it.

#46 6 years ago

Just make a sorter for yourself and tweak the design to fit your needs: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2215033

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Because I don't want to get behind some old goon who is trying to pay for their soda and chips at the 7-11 in coins, because the cashier is going to have to count that mess to verify it

I suppose you would rather be behind that clown that can't make his debit card work?

#48 6 years ago

Or worse yet, someone trying to get a deal with an app on his phone? We're going backwards, I tell ya!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I suppose you would rather be behind that clown that can't make his debit card work?

They shouldn't try to use old tech. If they just used their phone or watch, it would be much faster.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or worse yet, someone trying to get a deal with an app on his phone? We're going backwards, I tell ya!

The deal apps still suck, but paying with apple pay or samsung pay is really fast and easy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeland, FL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 21.50
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bala Cynwyd, PA
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.