(Topic ID: 8521)

Where is the Mecca of pinball? (the most pins in one place)

By Rascal_H

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo09.JPG
    photo15.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Wondering where the largest collection of pinball in any one spot is. A rich, private collector? Some place like PHoF?

PHOF has like 150. Pinball Wizard near me has close to 100 (they're supposed to be getting more). There's gotta be places with even more than that!

Any guesses?

#2 12 years ago

rich private collectors have the most. I know of a guy who has close to 300 set up in a 30,000sqf industrial building which is his private arcade in Long Beach, CA... Which is pretty small stuff compared to his G4 private jet I would imagine

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from Wise_Guy:

I know of a guy who has close to 300 set up in a 30,000sqf industrial building which is his private arcade in Long Beach, CA...

300??? Wow!!!!!! I know it's a private arcade, but is there any way Pinsiders like us can gain access to it?

#4 12 years ago

The Detroit Pinball Club had 150 or so games:

http://www.detroitpinball.com/

#5 12 years ago

You got to know a guy who knows a guy who, you get the picture.

I believe the owner of the PHOF has close to 800 pins but not all are at the museum.

CP pinball in St. Louis has about 100 and working well (not that that is the most but is a great collection).

Seems to me that the Portland area might have the most pins on location.

#6 12 years ago

There are some collectors/hoarders that have a ton of them, but generally they aren't all playable. If the dude has 300 all hooked up and fully operational, that's pretty damn impressive. John Dayhuff has a seriously awesome collection in his basement. I've always wanted to go to one of his annual parties.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Wise_Guy said:I know of a guy who has close to 300 set up in a 30,000sqf industrial building which is his private arcade in Long Beach, CA...
    300??? Wow!!!!!! I know it's a private arcade, but is there any way Pinsiders like us can gain access to it?

I wish... I hope to get invited one day yet its my friends friend so to speak. So I guess sealclubber is right about knowing a guy lol

Quoted from gweempose:

There are some collectors/hoarders that have a ton of them, but generally they aren't all playable. If the dude has 300 all hooked up and fully operational, that's pretty damn impressive. John Dayhuff has a seriously awesome collection in his basement. I've always wanted to go to one of his annual parties.

They are all fully operational and the guy hires ppl to maintenance them ect. If I ever do go I will take tons of pics from my phone and post them. I hear the guy also has a private bowling alley there and a bumper car track lol

#8 12 years ago

I went to Matt Christiano's ranch once. He was one of the organizers of pin a go go, but I believe Brad Grant is now the head guy.

He had about 200-300 games that were set up and playable. Not all in top notch shape but very few with problems that made them unplayable. He also had a warehouse of games to be fixed/restored that looked like that ending scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark. It looked like at least 500 games in there.

Richard Conger has something like 1000 games. He focuses on EMs and likes pre-flipper games. He brings some to local shows. I'm not too big on the game play but they are really beautiful machines. Some of them have surprisingly deep rules, and when you consider there was no cpu keeping track of everything, it's quite impressive.

The place I visit fairly often is the PPM warehouse. There are around 500 games in there, and they received the gordon hasse collection, so I think there are a lot more than that. Most are in playable condition but maybe a dozen are set up at any one time. They rotate them into the museum and bring them to pacific pinball exposition and other shows.

#9 12 years ago

the PAPA facility up in Pittsburgh has 450 machines. Unfortunately, they're only open to the public for 2 tournaments a year and a few special events.

Amazing collection, though. Trying to talk the wife into a long weekend trip up there for Pinburgh in March.

#10 12 years ago

Pinballz in Austin has a few hundred I think. Definitely more that the PHOF that I just went to, but the PHOF has a great variety through different pin eras, as well as some really rare machines. And my town Portland has like 550 or so machines on location at various bars, clubs, bike stores, arcades, and donut shops around town.

#11 12 years ago

I believe that on the Spooky Pinball or This Old Pinball podcasts, Tim Arnold claims his collection to exceed 1000 games. With 250 setup at a time in the PHOF.

#13 12 years ago

there is a short documentary on the pacific pinball museum on YouTube. its worth a look.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from joelreeves:

the PAPA facility up in Pittsburgh has 450 machines. Unfortunately, they're only open to the public for 2 tournaments a year and a few special events.
    Amazing collection, though. Trying to talk the wife into a long weekend trip up there for Pinburgh in March.
    » YouTube video

I second that. PAPA has to be the Mecca. There is just this "wow" moment the minute you walk in the door.

What also makes this place so special, is that almost every single machine is working 100%. They spend the time when they are not open (pretty much 99% of the year) making sure the machines are all clean and working correctly.

#15 12 years ago

PAPA hands down - if you haven't been there sign up for pinburgh coming up, planes trains and automobiles - get there you wont be disappointed this will be my 4th tournament there gets better every year.

#16 12 years ago

Joystix in Houston has about 100 or so - all in good working order. www.joystixgames.com

photo15.JPGphoto15.JPG photo09.JPGphoto09.JPG

#17 12 years ago

Here is a link and you can search for arcade games or pins at a certain location.

http://www.aurcade.com/locations/

http://www.aurcade.com/games/ - click pinball and search to view the entire list. Looks like there are 3 Big Bang Bars out there!

Pinball HOF has 144 pins.

http://www.aurcade.com/locations/view.aspx?id=103

American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot has a total of 366 games w/ 35 pins.

#18 12 years ago

http://www.aurcade.com/locations/ <-- nothing in Houston? Hmmmmm

#19 12 years ago

You should add data to this list then!

#20 12 years ago

I'm sure anyone would agree, PHOF if you're on the west of the US, PAPA if you're on the east.

One day I'll go to Vegas, not to gamble, but to play pins to my heart's content. Of course Baltimore is going to have quite a few at the Pinball Museum, does anyone have a count on those?

#21 12 years ago

I hear tell that Gene Cunningham has a huge collection including Wizard Blocks and Kingpin.

#22 12 years ago

Gene Cunningham does have a huge collection. He tells me around a thousand games. Unfortunately they are poorly maintained and most are unplayable. I've been there several times over the past five years or so including last month when I bought several games from him. My friends and I felt like were rescuing the games we bought.

The roof leaks and there is a thick musky smell in the air. It's actually a bit hard to breath in his warehouse. I don't want to speak poorly of Gene but he could be an episode on Hoarders.

He's moving in the next couple of months and I hope he finds proper storage.

#23 12 years ago

PAPA is amazing and all of their machines are in tip top shape. PAPA will also open for large groups such as corporate events. So I'm sure if the members wanted to do a Pinside Open it could happen.

#24 12 years ago

For anyone who is going to the Pinburgh tournament in March/April I can throw something together as far a hotels, places to eat, and places to see.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

So I'm sure if the members wanted to do a Pinside Open it could happen.

Awww man, that would be the S*&T!!!!

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Awww man, that would be the S*&T!!!!

That would be epic!!!! Gotta save up for my vacation to Pittsburgh.

#27 12 years ago

I just got back from a private collector's warehouse where he kept over 100 pins until a big move out of state. Still left when I got there, Theatre of Magic and Tommy. Must be nice to be so well heeled.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-mecca-of-pinball-the-most-pins-in-one-place and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.