Topic Stats

• 4,231 posts
  • 349 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by HoneyBadger
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 283 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5550 (resized).jpg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpg
824c85533f4594edd0e9a8cf7dc1457e176efa06 (resized).jpg
2B46656A-5C43-421D-B4F9-A94FA43C8BC0 (resized).jpeg
D8C7712D-2039-40CE-AB62-3DD48D3D1988 (resized).jpeg
50661386_1077904665724439_1220436401930108928_n (resized).jpg
B5EE1ECE-9803-4A1C-A9F5-12612EEE7D76 (resized).png
F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png
Z8QWR8.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beaglepuss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#578 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

TWD has a slew of other issues besides code that make it a bad design. Lets not pretend that TWD and Kiss have much to do with pinball. It's more about the theme and eye-candy on both of those machines. They get played a LOT by non pinball people on location. That does NOT mean that they are well designed pinball games.
I know those that love the two games but that seems to be the exception, and not the rule. There is simply no comparison to SM, LOTR, MET, etc. if we are spouting off about other Stern titles.
TWD and KISS are certainly "behind" the fun factor of those games and "new code" is not fixing that.
Another case in point: Stern Star Trek. I don't know Star Trek, I don't care about Star Trek, but that game is a very well designed table. So much better in so many ways than TWD or KISS, if we are being honest. I like Kiss music and TWD is a fantastic TV show but that really has nothing to do with how well a pinball machine is designed. Theme implementation can only offer the pinball player so much. It can add a lot to the entire pinball experience, but it should never be the starting point to find a great playing pinball machine.

TWD absolutely crushes ST IMO. Couldn't disagree more with your breakdown of the two.

#586 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I'm curious. In theme or design? Or both?
I agree with you on theme integration. I disagree with you on layout/design/rules.

I think theme integration is actually debatable. I think the "Hick" voice kills TWD theme for me a bit.

The layout on TWD is unique, and while I understand the gripe about the pops, I really like it. ST feels like the safest layout in the history of pinball. I can't think of a single exciting shot on the playfield. It flows wonderfully, but that isn't enough to move the needle for me.

As for code, I think the recent TWD code easily surpasses ST. ST has the same "shoot the arrows" feel that KISS has, without much else. TWD doesn't feel like I'm shooting arrows, but instead making progress towards a more intricate goal. Add to that the prison magnet, well walker bash toy, and bicycle girl ramp, and I think you have the total package.

Edit to add: Totally forgot about the crossbow and walker bombs!

#588 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

All kind of old ideas/parts really. Guess they threw in some old with the new

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying that those items were new/unique, just that they were added elements that were missing from a pin like ST. ST is about as basic a layout with as few features/toys as I can think of in the modern Stern era.

The features are not necessarily original on TWD, but how they're laid out on the playfield make for a unique gaming experience (if that makes sense).

#612 3 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

No need to "poo poo" other pins.

Sorry if I came off harsh/blunt. I actually really enjoy ST. My post was a reply to someone claiming that "TWD and KISS were behind in the fun factor." I wasn't trying to crap on ST so much as I was trying to justify why I think TWD was superior in many ways. I thought I did so politely, but if that was lost in translation, it's totally on me and I apologize.

I stand by the fact that ST has a "safe" layout. Not a bad one, but a safe one.

#614 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

As we know the idea of flow itself is completely opinionated and diff'rent to everyone...which is why I don't like to use the term. But since it was brought up, I'll put my 2 cents in for no reason.
It has 2 ramps & the Lawlor shot left orbit is a tough one, but that could start some flow.
From left to right, targets, scoop, isolated pop bumper area, genes mouth, right orbit that leads to pops, targets.
Kiss is a game I enjoy playing.

I'm a big fan of KISS, so much so that it's my only pin in my current line-up. The code needs polish for sure, but I think the shots are fun and the art/sound is fantastic.

With that said, I don't think the game has great flow. Now, that might be more a testament to my playing than anything else. The middle ramp is a layup for sure, but that right ramp is TOUGH, and a full orbit from the right through the pops on the left is a rare occurrence in my house. I think the game is fast and fun, but flow doesn't immediately come to mind.

#840 3 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Still no code...Stern is screwing up so badly that it's comical. Worst part is, their marketing department doesn't even realize it.

I'm actually fine with how they've handled it. Judging by the code being V1.2, we should expect a substantial update. These things take time, and like Vid has always said, people should expect such things with new Stern titles.

#908 3 years ago

No complaining from this guy. Looking forward to the new code!

#961 3 years ago

About that...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 263.55
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
New Albany, IN
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beaglepuss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside