F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2191 7 years ago

MET was about a year when it got its biggest, polished update when Blackened and RTL were added, as well as CIU animations. Before that, there was a frenzy of unhappy MET owners. John Borg even shared my "Hitler Reacts" video to his FB page.

XM was 18 months before the biggest update, and it made a HUGE difference in the game.

I swear I had SM for 2 1/2 years (Oct of '07 to May of '10), and Super Hero wizard mode was still bare bones when I sold it. It got a huge update right after I sold it, and prices jumped significantly for that title because Stern had already stopped selling that title. SM continued to get updates through 2014.

How long has it been since KISS started to ship? About 18 months + or - ?

#2200 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Kiss is done, sad, but true. Heck Stern couldn't even sell the LE's, why would they invest in finishing the code now. This game will go down in Transformers history as the second biggest let down in pinball.

Quoted from vdojaq:

Disagree, the PRO's earn money on route and still sell. A great update will make the rest of the LE's sell, but probably at a discount. IMHO , the LE is a big rip off compared to the Premium. I bought the LE because I am a huge KISS fan. I regret it and should have bought the Premium. I have bought my last NIB LE from Stern EVER.

I also disagree. I believe the info in "John's Arcade" Stern factory tour video is accurate.

People were giving up on MET after a year, and then they were creaming all over themselves when the added songs and CIU's were added.

SM was worse because it was no longer in production, so there wasn't any hope. Steve Ritchie even mentioned in an interview that Gary didn't want them to work on SM code because they were not going to sell any more units because of it.

#2204 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

KISS just isn't much fun. Unless it's a total code overhaul, the game isn't going to magically become fun with a few more added features and tweaks. I don't think that the layout is a dog, but it's pretty plain. It's not challenging enough to get away with being plain (like Iron Man), and the code isn't fun enough either (like AFM). I think KISS just fell into a bad spot with its initial code release and building on what was pretty lame hasn't worked. I don't think it can work unless they try again with a better starting point. It's not impossible, but an incremental upgrade won't do it.

I think it's fun, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the layout. Completing songs and completing the grid seem to be the majority of the game right now, but I see potential for a lot more with code updates. I disagree with it not being challenging. If you are attempting to complete songs to reach 2x, 3x, 5x, and Colossal (10x), that is extremely challenging. The left orbit between the pops is challenging, at least on my game. I've owned many other games with the pops surrounding the left orbit, and this shot on KISS seems to be the most difficult for me. I had no problems with XM, TSPP, SWDE, JP and a few others, but maybe because those were all a little closer?

Another thing that has helped make this game more fun for me is the song changes I've made. I added "God of Thunder" for Demon MB and moved Dr. Love to the song list. I added "New York Groove" in place of "Heaven's on Fire," and I replaced a few songs in the song list with "Strutter" and "I Was Made for Loving You."

2 weeks later
2 weeks later
2 weeks later
#2442 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i will never buy another stern till kiss is finished.
bought a very nice ss yesterday.
my last recent purchases:
ss
totan
tom
whirlwind
time machine
de st 25
twilight zone
enough already.

Isn't TOTAN's code unfinished?

#2447 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

don't you have mods to sell and don't need to piss off your customers?

Quoted from robotron:

I don't know, seems very good to me compared to kiss, sparky.

I'm a KISS owner, too, so I want a code update as much as everyone else. I just thought it was ironic that you listed TOTAN, which has the reputation of code issues Rum-Z listed. TZ actually took a long time to get to its current 9.4 and 9.4H versions, too. I've owned many Bally/Williams games that have code bugs or missing features (CFTBL and the left inlane inserts, for example).

With a few setting adjustments, I like the way KISS plays. The problem for me is comparing it to other Stern games that offer so much more within the code. I think it will happen, it's just frustrating waiting so long.

#2484 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I just don't get why Stern don't at least allude to a code update? Perhaps they don't want people to buy the game anymore.....

The John's Arcade tour of Stern video was more than "Stay tuned."

"The team's working on a big code update for KISS. I know the community's been wanting that." - Jody

#2486 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How long ago was that tour?

Week of Nov 20th, '16.

#2502 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm going to be honest - I don't have much faith that an update is really coming. The title didn't sell well and I think Stern was trying to help the distributors liquidate their old stock by saying an update was coming. They have no business reason to update the game again. How it is today is how it will be forever. On 4/21 it will have been a year since the last update. I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I've lost faith. Lonnie just isn't working on it and probably doesn't intend to also.

I disagree. SM and XM got updates long after they had gone into the Stern archive.

#2517 7 years ago

I have read these same conversations with just about every title since SM. MET and XM had the community in a bigger uproar than KISS. I don't like that it takes so long, but I have faith.

I even think MET will get another update, with band member modes and another song.

#2519 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I don't think this is true. Most people buy games based on theme. I think they keep updating code as long as the game is selling. Once it stops it gets abandoned, hence where we are with Kiss. Sales drive code which might drive more sales. They don't invest in writing kick ass code on a turd theme and hope it sells.

Yet this doesn't hold true with SM or XM, which got their best updates after already in the archive.

1 week later
#2602 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

100% agree! Lots of great mods for this machine to keep you busy until a new code drop. Have fun!

Like these:

20170225_151919 (resized).png20170225_151919 (resized).png

20170225_151941 (resized).png20170225_151941 (resized).png

20170225_152007 (resized).png20170225_152007 (resized).png

20170225_152030 (resized).png20170225_152030 (resized).png

20170225_152104 (resized).png20170225_152104 (resized).png

#2605 7 years ago
Quoted from Rhlufa:

Sparky were did you get your Ace figure?

I got it on ebay! But I only paid $17 + shipping. This was the only one I could find currently.

ebay.com link: itm

1 week later
#2683 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Kiss is not like chopping wood. Metallica is like chopping wood. In Kiss you can complete a song and move to the next one. In Metallica you have to bash at Coffin, bash at Sparky, bash at the Grave drop targets, bash at the Snake over and over. That's chopping wood. And you gotta you got
In Kiss there is more to complete than just songs. All the people that say Kiss needs more I would like to know how many of them have gotten to HOF, Kiss Army, and Rock City and if they do it consistently....I seriously doubt it. How many people can complete 6 or more songs consistently let alone 3 or 4.
Now there is some polish, and clean up of the code/ rules that should be done for sure. The animations could use some clean up as well.
Bottom line is we like different things. Kiss is not for everyone and no amount of code is gonna fix that. But there are plenty that want to like it and feel with a few tweaks they may enjoy it more. That's with a lot of games.

I agree with everything except the claim that MET is like chopping wood. The coffin is the only thing you have to bash multiple times to get to a CIU (7 or 8 times if you use the inlane double hits). The other items you only need to hit 2 or 3 times to get a few inserts lit on the spider lanes. I wouldn't call hitting Sparky or the snake 3 times each bashing or chopping wood.

#2685 7 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

If you are going for CIU I agree but not if you are going for the multiballs. 10 hits to Sparky for the first MB. Snake you have to hit 10 times then lock it again. Coffin takes a lot of shots to lock all 3 balls. Cross takes the least hits but has the most risk of draining usually for me. Stacking of the multiballs is great but once you complete them you are back to "chopping wood" to do it all again. It's quite a workout when you have a monster game going.

I never "go for" multiballs. I think that's more of a tournament strategy? I love the rules for reaching CIU's, so that's whatI always go for. Graveyard MB happens for me because I'm hitting the crosses to collect inserts.

My focus on KISS is always finishing songs to get the playfield multipliers. If I have a playfield multiplier going, I see what's left of the grid to complete.

Thinking about the cities...if there were a separate objective to acheive during a song mode in order to complete a city, how could the playfield inform that a city is complete? Call-outs would be easy to inform, but without city inserts, there would be nothing visual other than the display.

It would be cool to have objectives like x-number of switch hits for NY, for example, x-number of pop hits for Portland, x-number of spinner hits for Chicago, etc, but only advance to the next city when one is finished. Completing the "World Tour" could be another wizard mode.

3 weeks later
#2827 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Someone posted a while back that George told them that KISS is not being worked on. I'd consider it done.

Except George didn't say that. He said they "have to find a way to make it happen..." Everyone interpreted that as, "It's not being worked on currently."

George also said at Texas, "It's coming."

And in the John's Arcade" video blah blah blah.

Soon.

Not today.

1 month later
#2885 6 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

These are the small tweaks I have made to my game;
1) Changed the ball save timer for the demon eject from 2->4 seconds to combat the occasional STDM behavior. Although, I think I have a permanent fix for that so might change this back to stock
2) Changed from auto to 4 instruments for extra ball. I don't think the auto setting works at all.
3) Set the lit instruments to stay lit after lost ball. It seems this should be default setting as all other band member progression carries over (star field targets, demon locks, catman lit inserts...)
You could also move the outlane posts to drop the number of screamer side drains from those damn bumpers!

I don't have instruments carry over, but I do have all instruments lit on the first ramp shot. If I don't get them all on one ball, I have to hit a ramp shot again to light again.

I think you also said you changed playfield multipliers to one song. This has made the biggest difference in how fun this game is for me.

#2903 6 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Mine never did either. Some must just be wonky.

Neither does mine. The right orbit on a clean shot, or a full plunge, however, is a different story. If it doesn't hit any of the pops, there's no saving it!

1 week later
#3005 6 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

Well, in all fairness. Minneapolis pin said in the next couple weeks. That was about a week ago. Based on Stern's code release page they tend not to release code for different games on the same day. There are many instances where code was released for different games the following day, but I agree that releasing code the day before a long weekend is not a good idea. I am still optomistic that it is comming sometime next week.

Quoted from Minneapolispin:

T-minus 7 days or less. Take that to the bank.

This was 8 days ago. Maybe he thought he was posting in the BM66 thread.

#3008 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I did some asking around. Stern has committed to a code release this year but not super soon. But this is good because I had heard no more Kiss updates before!
JJ

So does this mean Minneapolispin is no longer a credible source?

2 weeks later
#3109 6 years ago

While waiting for the code update.....
Added Mezmods yellow protectors to go with the yellow rubbers.
Anyone hooked up a color LCD on KISS yet to see what it looks like? Thinking yellow/gold would look good.

I posted this video for Randy at ColorDMD when he was first testing Sigma on SPIKE. This is yellow. The camera doesn't pick up the color well, but honestly, the red looks just as good (or bad). I'm hoping when code is finished, someone will colorize for ColorDMD like SM and IM.

#3115 6 years ago

That looks good
Presume you used Mezelmod so that it can fit?

For power? I don't remember. I swapped temporarily with my MET just to show Randy, and then I swapped back. I can't remember how it plugs into SPIKE for power.

#3117 6 years ago

I have bought one of these and will transfer a LCD from another game in next few weeks.
Think I may try HIRES in purple and see how it looks.
https://mezelmods.com/collections/kiss-pinball-mods/products/12v-power-tap-spike-system?variant=4888158468

I had to look at an old thread to see how I powered it. I sell my TV's and tree house through Mezelmods, and I recommend that power adapter to SPIKE customers, but I know I don't have one, so I was a little confused on how I actually powered the display for the test.

The newer Chroma displays only require 12v, so I unplugged the speaker light kits and used that power source. I was wondering why the speakers were not lit in the video. I thought maybe I did it because the light wasn't good for the camera when filming the display.

1 week later
#3128 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I posted up in another thread, But Stern has told me from very high up that another code release is coming out this year for Kiss. But that it will be later in the year.
JJ

6 1/2 months or sooner! Take it to the bank!

1 month later
#3435 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I would guess, these fixes were done shortly after the last code release a year and a half ago and there wasn't enough to test it and release it.
They just released it now to stop the bad press and shut kiss owners up for a little while. Money says these changes weren't recently coded.

Quoted from Deez:

Well Jody should shut his mouth. He said on the John's arcade stream that there's a "Big update" coming. This isn't a big update this is an afternoon fixing a few bugs. It's horseshit.

I think there's a lot of truth to dgoett's post. There's no way they go from 1.28 to 1.30 in 16 months with mostly bug fixes. 1.30 has probably been done for a while. If there's another release, we might see it labeled 1.83, or something like that. All the inbetween versions we probably won't see.

2 weeks later
#3460 6 years ago

I think this bug was reported in the bug thread, and it's still occurring on 1.30:

Let's say I choose Hotter Than Hell at the beginning of a ball. I do a soft plunge that doesn't reach the right orbit switch, but it rolls back to hit the spinner. I hit the right flipper to catch the ball, and the song changes. However, I'm still on HTH mode on the DMD and playfield shots, but it's playing a different song.

This would happen on the old code, as well.

1 week later
#3471 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I own a Run-DMD and there are SO MANY animations that I have never seen on the actual game that my Run-DMD cycles through.

I've never seen Run-DMD's KISS animations, but on the last two KISS updates (1.28 and 1.30), I've scrolled through all the animations in Pinball Browser, and there really isn't much I haven't already seen in the game.

1 week later
#3482 6 years ago

It would be nice but I'm not sure if KISS is a popular enough title for them to bother with.

Thst's not how ColorDMD makes its decisions. The displays they sell are the same for all titles. When a customer orders, the display is loaded with the proper software, and a royalty goes to the developer, which in most cases is a tech-saavy collector who wanted that title done. Doesn't matter to ColorDMD how popular it will be (Gilligan's Island is the latest release). ColorDMD is making money on the displays. When collectors are programming, there's no development cost to ColorDMD (except the royalty).

#3486 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I thought all ColorDMDs shipped with the sigma ROM and the customer had to install the color ROM themselves?

That's probably correct. I've received my last two ColorDMD's from Randy in person for using signage at a show, so it was already loaded.

When you click to buy the specific title, I think the royalty still goes to the developer, even if you end up using the display for another title (again, I think).

2 weeks later
#3518 6 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

Ace sold the rights to the Spaceman character to Gene and Paul so I wonder if he received any of the money Stern paid to license the pinball? That is definitely his likeness on the cabinet and backglass.

If Ace sold the rights, why would he get money for any use of Spaceman after that? Paul and Gene would get the money.

1 week later
#3544 6 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Oh yeah, what was mentioned? How disappointed all the fans and purchasers of this machine have been since it's 2+ years of release
and the complete lack of disrespect to Stern's loyal customers? An apology perhaps? Bet not...

Lack of disrespect?

#3546 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The utmost respect.

Lack of utmost respect?

#3550 6 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

I just swapped out songs on my Pro. I replaced all the remakes with originals. They sound way better now. The new versions lacked punch especially Hotter Than Hell and Detroit Rock City. Black Diamond now has Peter Criss vocals. I also changed Dr. Love to God Of Thunder. Way better during Demon Multi-ball. Added Cold Gin, NY Groove and I Was Made for Loving You. Replaced Heavens on Fire with Hard Luck Woman although I don't know if this song is ever played in the game. I really like the new sounds. I plan to eventually add a few sounds like Ace saying Awk and Paul saying You're looking for something and it isn't Kiss...

Heaven's on Fire (Hard Luck Woman) plays during Grid multiball. I have New Yoork Groove in that spot.

2 weeks later
#3582 6 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

hello i just bought the topper . does anyone have a way of Dimming it or does anyone sell a a fiter to put over it ? also it does not seem to interactive ? is there a setting

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4001

Pinball Life sells a yellow filter. I didn't think I would like it yellow, but it's actually so much better than the blinding white! The topper is not made to be interactive. It has a random light show running constantly during attract and game play.

4 weeks later
#3658 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Color ain't gonna do this game any favors with the terrible "real" animations. Really time-consuming to that as well. Probably many other games in line first.

ColorDMD doesn't have a line. If someone comes to them and says, "I want to do game X," and the person is qualified, it gets done. However, the chances someone approaches ColorDMD about KISS before the code is finished and because of the "real" animations are very slim, I would think.

4 months later
#3824 6 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I was hoping for a menu setting adjustment for interval between allowing another callout. Seems there are settings for nearly everything else on the game.

I timed it once on my MET a few years ago. Seems to be around 2 minutes, I think.

1 week later
#3830 6 years ago

Anyone ever have a SPIKE game reset during gameplay? My KISS reset tonight during Demon MB. I've owned lots of Stern games, and this has never happened on any of them. WPC...yes, but never a Stern.

4 months later
#3990 5 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

It still puzzles me that Demon multiball isn't God of Thunder. I mean, that (and I Love It Loud) was always Gene's biggest spotlight moment, with the levitating and blood-spitting.
I wonder what led them to go with Dr Love, of all songs, for that mode?
Yes, I should probably get out more.

When I had KISS, I changed Demon MB to God of Thunder with Pinball Browser, and it does fit that multiball perfectly. Sounds great with the little boy giggling at the beginning.

2 months later
#4122 5 years ago

$63 shipping? Yikes!

Shipping is auto generated on ebay based on location, box size, and weight. I will refund any difference for actual shipping. I plugged in NY just to see what the charges would be from one coast to the other, and it came up as $38

1 week later
#4176 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I have a KISS topper on ebay, if anyone is interested.
ebay.com link » Stern Pinball Machine Interactive Kiss Topper

Just in case someone is looking for a KISS topper in the future, you might get an idea of what they're selling for based on my ebay sale. Mine sold for $330 + shipping. My buyer is a two hour drive from me, so his shipping cost was $13.65.

#4178 5 years ago

Kind of a shame that such a great topper is no longer in production. I know several people who bought one just to display in their collections.

Someone asked me on ebay if the patterns would display without plugging into the game. I wasn't sure if the programming is self-contained in the topper or if the game provided the programming software. Do these just light up solid with the proper voltage, or are the patterns still present?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 12.75
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-kiss-code?tu=Sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.