Topic Stats

• 4,231 posts
  • 349 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by HoneyBadger
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 283 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5550 (resized).jpg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpg
824c85533f4594edd0e9a8cf7dc1457e176efa06 (resized).jpg
2B46656A-5C43-421D-B4F9-A94FA43C8BC0 (resized).jpeg
D8C7712D-2039-40CE-AB62-3DD48D3D1988 (resized).jpeg
50661386_1077904665724439_1220436401930108928_n (resized).jpg
B5EE1ECE-9803-4A1C-A9F5-12612EEE7D76 (resized).png
F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png
Z8QWR8.gif

There are 4231 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 85.
#2401 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Oh my freaking word! First of all, a NIB KISS game just needs to be adjusted like every other freaking Stern NIB game. My KISS Pro NEVER does a SDTM (well maybe 0.05% of the time). Second, ALL pins have an element of sending a ball SDTM. GB is WAY worse that KISS with the drains, airballs and such and people just overlook those facts on GB. Third, the ball save time is adjustable!

Good to know, and also that this is a non-issue after setting it up Just a pity that the operators dont care enough about to set it up, playtest and adjust enough before placing on location.
That said, I still think its lazy not play testing it enough at Stern and maybe just adjusting the kickout angle with a small margin.

Anyways, a fun game to play from time to time

#2402 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A controlled kick from a VUK, saucer, or kickback should NEVER got STDM. If it does, that's poor design.

It's not uncommon. The Sparky magnet from Metallica Premium will sometimes throw the ball SDTM, and due to the uncontrolled nature of the feature there's not much that can be done to change that.

#2403 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

The Sparky magnet from Metallica Premium will sometimes throw the ball SDTM, and due to the uncontrolled nature of the feature there's not much that can be done to change that.

True and same for TWD and IM, but nudging can have an impact on this that why you get 2 warnings.

#2404 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Good to know, and also that this is a non-issue after setting it up Just a pity that the operators dont care enough about to set it up, playtest and adjust enough before placing on location.
That said, I still think its lazy not play testing it enough at Stern and maybe just adjusting the kickout angle with a small margin.
Anyways, a fun game to play from time to time

Agreed!

I'm not trying to give Stern a pass as they've not always done their job on the quality front. However, pinball is a small boutique industry making a few thousand units that are VERY complex to test. Realistically, can they afford to pay someone to test play every game for a couple hours? You can't automate testing on a completed pinball machine. Even if they do catch a mis-alignment, it gets ram-jammed around during storage and delivery.

I've heard the old-timers in this hobby say that all machines needed to be adjusted on delivery since the dawn of the industry. Hell, it took me an hour to go through the all tests and tasks that Stern wanted me to do before plunging the first game.

#2405 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

It's not uncommon. The Sparky magnet from Metallica Premium will sometimes throw the ball SDTM, and due to the uncontrolled nature of the feature there's not much that can be done to change that.

Difference between a magnet and a kickout. Random vs. designed to shoot somewhere specific.

#2406 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Agreed!
I'm not trying to give Stern a pass as they've not always done their job on the quality front. However, pinball is a small boutique industry making a few thousand units that are VERY complex to test. Realistically, can they afford to pay someone to test play every game for a couple hours? You can't automate testing on a completed pinball machine. Even if they do catch a mis-alignment, it gets ram-jammed around during storage and delivery.
I've heard the old-timers in this hobby say that all machines needed to be adjusted on delivery since the dawn of the industry. Hell, it took me an hour to go through the all tests and tasks that Stern wanted me to do before plunging the first game.

Um, my Ghostbusters was unplayable on delivery. From broken switches to poorly installed mechs and scoops, you couldn't play the game the way it was. It was definitely untested. That's not ok.

#2407 2 years ago

I'd wager the fingerpointing belongs with the delivery company. I worked docks high school through early college. I've seen how poorly, well... more or less anything being shipped from small parts to engines to entire industrial machines are treated.

#2408 2 years ago

My KISS that came with instructions that seemed to anticipate problems from shipping. It instructed me to push all connectors together and tighten screws. Then to go through the test for every switch. Again, I'm not excusing Stern for obvious quality issues but really doubt they ship pins with no testing.

#2409 2 years ago

Hah, no. It was untested. They were not shipping issues.

#2410 2 years ago

so what do we think...Nothing says valentine's day like a 'KISS'????

#2411 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

so what do we think...Nothing says valentine's day like a 'KISS'????

February 2019 changelog:
-Fixed a glitch that caused an insert to not light if you did these 3 crazy things in a row
-Fixed a typo relating to wire color codes in the diagnostic menu

#2412 2 years ago

I think I've finally given up. I waited a year for Metallica and I was rewarded that time. Can't see it happening with Kiss. I too have spoken with my wallet and not bought a NIB Stern since. It's pretty disheartening.

#2413 2 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

I think I've finally given up. I waited a year for Metallica and I was rewarded that time. Can't see it happening with Kiss. I too have spoken with my wallet and not bought a NIB Stern since. It's pretty disheartening.

You have quite a few months before it's been a year since the last KISS update.

#2414 2 years ago
Quoted from Hashman:

You give up so easily ....shame as your missing out on the fun of other new titles put there...Kiss is a very payable and enjoyable machine as it is...

#2415 2 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

You give up so easily ....shame as your missing out on the fun of other new titles put there...Kiss is a very payable and enjoyable machine as it is...

Word. Get a Batman '66 for some perspective on "unfinished."

#2416 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Sorry mate not interested in lcd rubbish

#2417 2 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Sorry mate not interested in lcd rubbish

I'm not promoting the LCD so much as pointing out that if the other person is upset with the state of KISS, it seems positively fantastically amazing compared to the state of the code on Batman '66.

#2418 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

I'm not promoting the LCD so much as pointing out that if the other person is upset with the state of KISS, it seems positively fantastically amazing compared to the state of the code on Batman '66.

Oh ok.... im not interested in Batman but i know the Kiss machine is a great playable game already

#2419 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

That game is a disaster. Even the most vocal proponent on Pinside of BM66 get a 15k turd with missing screws, a broken lazy susan, and non-working flippers. KISS's code is 10x more developed then BM66 from what I am seeing.

Could you imagine taking delivery of a brand new Chevy Cruz (a couple thousand more than BM66 SLE with discounts) and having to connect the exhaust, find a place for missing fasteners and troubleshoot why it won't start?

#2420 2 years ago

KISS might be "better" code wise right now, but Lyman definitely is hard at work on the Batman code.

Batman has seen 2 updates in January.

KISS was announced May 2015. It's first update should've been the launch code. Then we had the April 2016 update.

#2421 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

KISS might be "better" code wise right now, but Lyman definitely is hard at work on the Batman code.
Batman has seen 2 updates in January.
KISS was announced May 2015. It's first update should've been the launch code. Then we had the April 2016 update.

I agree, but in a "triage" situation, BM66 is "bleeding" the most right now....

#2422 2 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Could you imagine taking delivery of a brand new Chevy Cruz (a couple thousand more than BM66 SLE with discounts) and having to connect the exhaust, find a place for missing fasteners and troubleshoot why it won't start?

I just laughed my butt off! This is so true! What the heck!!

#2423 2 years ago

Where is the code? We are being Gorfed.

#2424 2 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

It's coming... Stay tuned !

#2425 2 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

That game is a disaster. Even the most vocal proponent on Pinside of BM66 get a 15k turd with missing screws, a broken lazy susan, and non-working flippers. KISS's code is 10x more developed then BM66 from what I am seeing.

Can you imagine driving a pinball machine to the grocery store?

No. That is why the cargument needs to die a quick death.

#2426 2 years ago

#2427 2 years ago

Game is getting close to 2 years old and the cities still aren't coded. Thanks a lot Lonnie.

#2428 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Game is getting close to 2 years old and the cities still aren't coded. Thanks a lot Lonnie.

Cities didn't exist before last April update, though, right?

#2429 2 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Stern is Gorfing us real good.

#2430 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Cities didn't exist before last April update, though, right?

Noooo...cities were in the game from day one.

#2431 2 years ago

In the entire history of Stern KISS, has anyone at Stern ever indicated that the cities where supposed to do more than just callouts from Gene and Paul? Could the cities just been a bad idea with no plans for enhanced rules?

#2432 2 years ago

Doesn't look like Lonnie is working on KISS code...or much else these days.

lonnie (resized).jpg

#2433 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

In the entire history of Stern KISS, has anyone at Stern ever indicated that the cities where supposed to do more than just callouts from Gene and Paul? Could the cities just been a bad idea with no plans for enhanced rules?

Where's the 1,000x like button?

#2434 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

That's his thinking face.

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Whos this lonnie guy? Looks like a picture of Grizzly Adams?

#2436 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where's the 1,000x like button?

Agree! It has become a consesus that the cities were supposed to be ahuge part of the game from start and therefore is a lacking feature.
But maybe as mentioned it was just for callouts.. After all, its Lonnie and it feels like he doesnt have the same grand visions for coding as dwight and lyman.

#2437 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Agree! It has become a consesus that the cities were supposed to be ahuge part of the game from start and therefore is a lacking feature.
But maybe as mentioned it was just for callouts.. After all, its Lonnie and it feels like he doesnt have the same grand visions for coding as dwight and lyman.

Seems like Lonnie's grand plans are limited to what's for lunch that day. Low motivation, by all signs.

#2438 2 years ago

i will never buy another stern till kiss is finished.
bought a very nice ss yesterday.
my last recent purchases:
ss
totan
tom
whirlwind
time machine
de st 25
twilight zone

enough already.

IMG_0060 (resized).JPG

IMG_0064 (resized).JPG

#2439 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

honestly, 100%. I find that critical yet constructive people that point out issues but also provide potential solutions are the people I specifically reach out to and ask for feedback and try to make improvements. Accountable people like to be held accountable I have found. Dealing with a few non-PC jerks tends to be worth it for those with thich enough skin and a genuine passion for what they do.
Aside from that I have proven my value to other programers and you may not realize it but a few of my rulesets, adjustments, and polish suggestions have already made it into other games. Amazingly, some of my suggestions have been in recent releases and there is one person that converses with me in the real world on a somewhat regular basis and likes my ideas.
Worth note that I do not think my critisisms are exagerated one bit. They are both honest and direct, but not exagerated one iota.
Outside of all my so called dislike for many things Stern, I also give credit where credit is due. TWD is one of my favorite games of the recent past and I think with polish kiss has the ability to get close to that level also (and GB). Top is all off with the fact that a bunch of people that dislike me even thumbed up my suggestion. Sounds like it is a decent idea if I was the programmer and had the ability to polish my game... Last thing if I were Lonnie, I know I would want my name to start being tossed around in the same sentences as Lyman and Dwight. Good code takes effort and I personally would want to keep up with my collegues.

This is such BS. It's completely biased and skews all ratings. Dialed in with early code gets a 10? I absolutely hate some games and they get a 5 or better. What a crock. To me, you've lost all and any credibility with your deliberate sacking of Stern.

#2440 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I took the same road as you. After sitting on my $7000 Kiss, since receiving it in August of 2016, I got disgusted at looking at it. I too dumped several Stern titles and went back to good old, code finished, work horse Williams/Bally machines. I used to have 8 Stern titles.
I'm down to 3 and no way am I buying anything until Stern shows dedication to finishing code and improving quality of their machines.
The quality is inferior to Bally/Williams by far. I lost confidence in the brand. Williams/Bally are still living well with completed code and look absolutely stunning in the game room compared to Stern titles.

#2441 2 years ago

Friendly reminder: while the mod team understands and share your frustration, please remember we don’t want things to get personal.
This means: please, no personal attack on a given designer or coder working for Stern (or another manufacturer!).
Thanks.

#2442 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

my last recent purchases:
ss
totan
tom
whirlwind
time machine
de st 25
twilight zone
enough already.

Isn't TOTAN's code unfinished?

#2443 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

It's finished, it's just rather simple and relatively easy compared to other pins (and I'm not a TOTAN hater, I own one). It's not used in tournaments because there is an exploit possible with the HAREM multiball, where you can start that and go into the Genie battle wizard mode and just spam the machine for almost unlimited points if you wanted, so there is that issue. It would be nice if a program rewrite came out for TOTAN that made things more challenging, and fixed that HAREM exploit, but that will probably never happen.

#2445 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

don't you have mods to sell and don't need to piss off your customers?

#2446 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I don't know, seems very good to me compared to kiss, sparky.

#2447 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

don't you have mods to sell and don't need to piss off your customers?

Quoted from robotron:

I don't know, seems very good to me compared to kiss, sparky.

I'm a KISS owner, too, so I want a code update as much as everyone else. I just thought it was ironic that you listed TOTAN, which has the reputation of code issues Rum-Z listed. TZ actually took a long time to get to its current 9.4 and 9.4H versions, too. I've owned many Bally/Williams games that have code bugs or missing features (CFTBL and the left inlane inserts, for example).

With a few setting adjustments, I like the way KISS plays. The problem for me is comparing it to other Stern games that offer so much more within the code. I think it will happen, it's just frustrating waiting so long.

#2448 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Oh come on! Have you ever played AC/DC? The game has friggin rules for what targets you hit based on if the song was played on a certain tour they did. And we're supposed to believe that on Kiss, selecting a city is just so we can hear a call out?

Stern has abandoned the code on Kiss and we all know it, speculating that the cities are fine they way they are is just ridiculous.

#2449 2 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Stern has abandoned the code on Kiss and we all know it, speculating that the cities are fine they way they are is just ridiculous.

That's fine if you think that, but until I hear something from stern that they originally intended to do something rule-based with the cities, I have no reason to believe that was their intention.

#2450 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That's fine if you think that, but until I hear something from stern that they originally intended to do something rule-based with the cities, I have no reason to believe that was their intention.

I don't care what Stern's intentions are. Does the GOT orbit "fix" suck any less because it wasn't their original intent? It is what it is, and it sucks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cottonwood, AZ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 11.95
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
There are 4231 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside