F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png
There are 4,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 85.
#1951 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

With their release cadence and the kind of code people expect in new games (see woz and hobbit for gold standard), Stern are obviously very aware of how short staffed they are, and how in need of new experienced coders they are.
However, everything I've seen and heard suggests that while they are looking to hire, they're not aiming at senior, experienced or highly talented individuals ... they're looking to economise, like with everything else, and train up complete rookies on a low pay grade. All that means is that their more senior guys just have to do more hand holding and become less productive.
If JJP #3 is the kind of hit that it could be, they could really steal Stern's lunch money .... hopefully that will be enough of a kick up the arse to make them improve matters across the board. So many of their recent games, even ones that are good now, have been in a dire state at release, left for ages, and / or not finished. Metallica, maybe Mustang and arguably TWD are the only titles they've really finished in recent years.

Quoted from Barakawins1:

Very well said. If this next pinball is what I think it is, I believe we will all start making moves to Jersey Jack.

Heck they have yet to finish Wheel of fortune. So sad. I am straight up making the JJP move myself and am glad I didn't get in on a GB with all that drama. I can not imagine the blunt trauma that will surround BM66.

#1952 7 years ago

72310346 (resized).jpg72310346 (resized).jpg

#1954 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Heck they have yet to finish Wheel of fortune. So sad. I am straight up making the JJP move myself and am glad I didn't get in on a GB with all that drama. I can not imagine the blunt trauma that will surround BM66.

I cancelled my GB LE...I may buy one if they finish KISS code and get the PF issues straightened out.

Whats JJP's next title?

#1955 7 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'd like to see the code improved, but seeing Bowen's tutorial helped me understand some subtle aspects of the current code.
» YouTube video
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

Trying to figure out exactly how the 2x+ pf multipliers are earned? anyone know?

#1956 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Trying to figure out exactly how the 2x+ pf multipliers are earned? anyone know?

Cant remember if it is after two songs completed on the same ball but I do know that after completing each song the main shot arrows light ala arrow modes in SM and you can assign a multiplier to a single shot for the rest of the ball. Never got it to see if you could stack multiple multipliers.. My game has been gone for several months now and don't miss it at all. Hope you get another update but this delay and uncertainty was the reason I sold it.

#1957 7 years ago

I cancelled my GB LE...I may buy one if they finish KISS code and get the PF issues straightened out.
Whats JJP's next title?

Not sure, There is supposed to be a reveal at expo though, looking forward to it!

#1958 7 years ago

WOF was a "different era" and the main reason it wasn't finished is because it was Keith's game and he's no longer at Stern. I think what Stern did with Avengers - finishing an out of production game years later - shows that people shouldn't worry about Kiss. You'll need patience....but I doubt it will be left for dead like WOF.

#1959 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

WOF was a "different era" and the main reason it wasn't finished is because it was Keith's game and he's no longer at Stern. I think what Stern did with Avengers - finishing an out of production game years later - shows that people shouldn't worry about Kiss. You'll need patience....but I doubt it will be left for dead like WOF.

it has been proven you can not trust anything they say unfortunately.

Stern is now in Missiouri territory. "see it to belive it"

#1960 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it has been proven you can not trust anything they say unfortunately.
Stern is now in Missiouri territory. "see it to belive it"

Sure, the situation sucks....I just don't they're going to abandon games when customers are actively pointing out bugs and unfinished elements. Might take forever, but Avengers is proof that they listen and act.

#1961 7 years ago

Yeah, finish a song, then the arrows will go white. The shot you take then will STAY white, and that shot will be 2X for the rest of that ball. If you finish two songs, you get to choose another shot to make 2x, AND the 2X global playfield multiplier (the one between the slings) will stay on until the end of the ball. So those shots that were 2x are now 4x until the end of the ball.

#1962 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure, the situation sucks....I just don't they're going to abandon games when customers are actively pointing out bugs and unfinished elements. Might take forever, but Avengers is proof that they listen and act.

But there are now tons of games waiting either for vital fleshing out, bug fixes, and / or final polish. They're so slow to make any progress, machines usually get released with what should be alpha code at best, and by releasing more and more machines, the backlog grows ever larger.

The two Sterns I own are in by no means the worst position - Luci & ST Premium. But ACDC really could use some score rebalances, adding the final missing features (hello unused inserts, ability to adjust sling strength and disable lower pf / cannon). ST really needs bug fixes, and a general polish.

So those are two of the games on the waiting list that are in a far better position than the likes of KISS or WWE ... but the wait is really sad. Well over 2 years for ACDC, and over 18 months now for ST.

#1963 7 years ago

Codes coming .. they are working on it now
Picture from the software developement control room

20161011_181130 (resized).jpg20161011_181130 (resized).jpg

#1964 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

WOF was a "different era" and the main reason it wasn't finished is because it was Keith's game and he's no longer at Stern.

WOF was released in October 2007 and the last software version 5.00 in December 2007. After WOF, Keith was involved in IJ (and CSI) before leaving Stern in October 2008. Maybe WOF just didn't sell well enough, and Stern didn't see that updating the code would boost sales enough to allocate enough Keith's time to it? Or maybe he did work on an update but it was never finished or released? IJ that was released 4/2008 was a much bigger license, so it makes sense that Stern would indeed focus more on that in early 2008, but I think that if Stern had really wanted to, they would have been able to finish and release new code to WOF. I don't remember if Keith commented on this on the Topcast interview, rec.games.pinball or somewhere else? I had WOF for a while, hoped for an update but finally sold the game.

It could be the same for Kiss, someone working on it as a side project but been told to prioritize a newer game over it. Stern is weighing which code to work on and how much, to get financially the best results. Short term thinking, focus on the new ones. Longer term, make sure that you don't leave a sour taste on customer's mouth. I agree with what's been said here many many times: as long as people buy games with incomplete code, Stern doesn't "have" to polish the code to the full - they just need to make it good enough, whatever that may be. When people vote with their wallet, things may change. I like Kiss (Pro) a lot as it is, and don't see many of the flaws listed here, but of course I too hope that it gets a solid update soon.

(Side note: someone claimed 3 years ago that there was a code update for WOF waiting for Gomez's approval. Never came through, though. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-word-on-metallica-code-its-been-over-2-weeks#post-914894 )

Edit: Keith confirms here that Stern didn't care much about WOF but discussed the possibility to finish the code with him: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/petition-for-lyman-to-finish-the-wof-code#post-72235

#1965 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

But it's not like they couldn't have put another programmer on the game to finish WOF. It was just abandoned. I honestly like WOF. The layout is great. There is nothing like it out there.

#1966 7 years ago

Just curious if you guys have idea on how to improve the kiss code.

I'm thinking to implement the cities it'd be cool to do something similar to Dr Who where each song has a "shot booster" on the playfield and ends up advancing a feature quicker or something liek that. Say Hotter than hell starts you with two demon locks or maybe another song has love gun lit from the beginning.

Another feature I think would be cool is a super jackpot shot where you loop the middle ramp over and over and the make some noise meter keeps going up and the crowd keeps getting louder and once you make so many shots ~10 then the love gun flasher starts pulsing on the right ramp and you have to nail that shot and as it come down the right return lane one of the kiss targets flashes, nail that then the GI turns to red and the demon head starts flashing like crazy and then you shoot Gene's mouth and the whole game goes nuts and you get a SUPER JACKPOT.

I think that would be bad ass. A sequence of shots like that really makes you feel good.

Anyone else have any ideas.

#1967 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Just curious if you guys have idea on how to improve the kiss code.
I'm thinking to implement the cities it'd be cool to do something similar to Dr Who where each song has a "shot booster" on the playfield and ends up advancing a feature quicker or something liek that. Say Hotter than hell starts you with two demon locks or maybe another song has love gun lit from the beginning.
Another feature I think would be cool is a super jackpot shot where you loop the middle ramp over and over and the make some noise meter keeps going up and the crowd keeps getting louder and once you make so many shots ~10 then the love gun flasher starts pulsing on the right ramp and you have to nail that shot and as it come down the right return lane one of the kiss targets flashes, nail that then the GI turns to red and the demon head starts flashing like crazy and then you shoot Gene's mouth and the whole game goes nuts and you get a SUPER JACKPOT.
I think that would be bad ass. A sequence of shots like that really makes you feel good.
Anyone else have any ideas.

I think the first person who has the capability and means to redo/improve code will either 1. Make a shit ton of money or 2. Be sued by Stern for some infringement/copy-write violation, which is sad and only furthers peoples frustrations toward Stern. In any case, TAKE MY MONEY!...........Crap........I hope Stern does not read this and attempt to capitalize on selling code improvements, wouldn't put it past them at this point.

#1968 7 years ago

really really poor job by stern.
gonna be buying an alien pin with full throttle extra playfield and hopefully jjp #3. voting with my wallet. not gonna buy any new sterns till they start dropping code and making a page on their website with status of codes.
waiting for you stern i know you lurk here.

#1969 7 years ago

I think the first person who has the capability and means to redo/improve code will either 1. Make a shit ton of money or 2. Be sued by Stern for some infringement/copy-write violation, which is sad and only furthers peoples frustrations toward Stern. In any case, TAKE MY MONEY!...........Crap........I hope Stern does not read this and attempt to capitalize on selling code improvements, wouldn't put it past them at this point.

I'm surprised with pinball browser being able to swap the music that someone isn't out there altering code. They probably know Stern would put out a C&D pretty quickly.

#1970 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm surprised with pinball browser being able to swap the music that someone isn't out there altering code. They probably know Stern would put out a C&D pretty quickly.

Pinball browser allows you to change the assets that are called by the code. The code itself is not actually tampered with. And being a binary, I'm pretty sure it can't be. Unfortunately. (Although I'm sure some nerd will yell, "yes, it can!!")

#1971 7 years ago

Ya man! Why are you up so early thinking about codes?

Quoted from robotron:

really really poor job by stern.
gonna be buying an alien pin with full throttle extra playfield and hopefully jjp #3. voting with my wallet. not gonna buy any new sterns till they start dropping code and making a page on their website with status of codes.
waiting for you stern i know you lurk here.

#1972 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pinball browser allows you to change the assets that are called by the code. The code itself is not actually tampered with. And being a binary, I'm pretty sure it can't be. Unfortunately. (Although I'm sure some nerd will yell, "yes, it can!!")

Makes sense. I'm just saying that someone figured that out so I'm sure someone could reverse engineer Stern's boardset and produce some alternative code. I feel like some people on this forum have great programming skills.

#1973 7 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Ya man! Why are you up so early thinking about codes?

making money to buy some pins.

#1974 7 years ago

I expect a disgruntled employee will eventually leak the development tools and compiler they use ... until then we can only hope.

Since it's bound to happen eventually, it would be nice if they'd release an SDK to pre-empt that, then the community could fix their shit for them. It'd probably be the best investment they ever made.

#1975 7 years ago

If code changes are provided via a "delta" file that can be applied against the official Stern code, then there should be no legal issue. You are not providing or distributing copyrighted Stern code. You are just distributing changes to the code which do not contain original code. This is similar to how the WPC competition ROMs are released as an xdelta file that you apply to the Williams ROMs. This way Rick can't complain about it. Well he could complain, but he would have no legal basis for any action to be taken.

#1976 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I expect a disgruntled employee will eventually leak the development tools and compiler they use ... until then we can only hope.
Since it's bound to happen eventually, it would be nice if they'd release an SDK to pre-empt that, then the community could fix their shit for them. It'd probably be the best investment they ever made.

One can only hope, but Stern will NEVER release an SDK. It would be a support nightmare for them since they would have to verify what software the game is using, is it causing the issues, etc. Just won't happen :/

#1977 7 years ago

Anyone hear an update on this at Expo?

#1978 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Stern is committed to code!!

#1979 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Stern is committed to code!!

Yeah price keeps going through the rough while quality and ability to get pins to us quickly have declined. With KISS they also showed us how much they care about the code support...

#1980 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yeah price keeps going through the rough while quality and ability to get pins to us quickly have declined. With KISS they also showed us how much they care about the code support...

Stern has really played the politics game recently. Saying one thing and doing another. I just hope the kiss owners keep this thread alive so people thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these expensive NIB games remembers how they're going to be treated ultimately and once the new smell wears off they're still going to have a game with half assed code for a long time if not forever.

#1981 7 years ago

I just returned from a long trip, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really dig the new code.

Completing the grid is a breath of fresh air and adds a ton of risk/reward with the shots, especially the right ramp. I also like the new sound effects.

Having said that, the song modes are still blah. They're not even modes, you just hit the flashing light because points.

There is still lots of potential, especially with song based modes and city integration, but the latest code is a step in the right direction.

#1982 7 years ago

I wouldn't spend another penny on Stern games until code is fully completed. More attention to ghost busters code and game of thrones than kiss. Totally unacceptable.. those that buy batman 1966 be careful . That's a lot of money for a pretty machine you did not play and don't know if the code will complete

#1983 7 years ago

I'm shocked there wasn't a code update for this at expo.

#1984 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm shocked there wasn't a code update for this at expo.

I was shocked Batman 66 wasn't flippable at Expo.

#1985 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I was shocked Batman 66 wasn't flippable at Expo.

I was shocked Batman 66 dot matrix display couldn't be found on the head box? Some dingbat shoved a chinese cheapo LCD in its place??

#1986 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

i asked about KISS code at Stern tour, i was told Lonnie is going to work on it....

#1987 7 years ago
Quoted from Sborel:

i asked about KISS code at Stern tour, i was told Lonnie is going to work on it....

Absolutely and i hear Gary is overlooking this one due to the publicity it gets on here. .

#1988 7 years ago
Quoted from Sborel:

Did they tell you which decade?

#1989 7 years ago

Yeah, this isn't something I'm really excited about.

#1990 7 years ago

So which will we see first, the next KISS update or the Aerosmith reveal in January?

#1991 7 years ago
Quoted from Sborel:

Going to work on it? Us KISS owners are beyond screwed.

#1992 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Going to work on it? Us KISS owners are beyond screwed.

Yeah, the "we're working on the WWE code", that they didn't work on for ~12 months, then did a few weeks of work and released a couple of minor updates, then abandoned it again.

#1993 7 years ago

Such a shame. KISS has nice flow, great shots and a killer art package. Seems the only thing Stern cares about these days is their next release and how quick they can get it out. Hell BM66 wasn't even playable at the expo. Wtf? As soon as they start shipping Stern will blow that release off too and focus on Aerosmith or whatever for the new year.

#1994 7 years ago

Really disappointing they didn't release at the expo. Been 6 months since the last release. Ugh. I'm almost more frustrated that I cant buy a GB or BM until they update at this point. Trying to convince myself that Dialed in will be good at this point.

#1995 7 years ago

To be fair, I really like my kiss. I like new code too, but it's not as though the game isn't fun this way. The point everyone is making is valid, though. They need to finish their games.

#1996 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

To be fair, I really like my kiss. I like new code too, but it's not as though the game isn't fun this way. The point everyone is making is valid, though. They need to finish their games.

Oh its fun for sure. I love the way it shoots. But with so many of these pins now going into homes, code needs to be more than that IMO to invest this type of money into them IMO.

#1997 7 years ago

I found after watching the play video of how to achieve monster scores, it's not as bad as it is made out to be. Not saying that the code doesn't need more, just that what is there can be enjoyed. The cities have to be coded, and maybe a couple more song slots added in though.

#1998 7 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

I found after watching the play video of how to achieve monster scores, it's not as bad as it is made out to be. Not saying that the code doesn't need more, just that what is there can be enjoyed. The cities have to be coded, and maybe a couple more song slots added in though.

My scores of ~250M went way down after the videos lol. I'm a bad player and gunning for multi balls gets me the best scores

#1999 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Did they tell you which decade?

after work on current project....

#2000 7 years ago

I was also told they r trying to get ac/dc license again, and license for MET is good for 2 more years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,984 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.75
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 4,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-kiss-code/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.