Topic Stats

• 4,231 posts
  • 349 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by HoneyBadger
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 283 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5550 (resized).jpg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpg
824c85533f4594edd0e9a8cf7dc1457e176efa06 (resized).jpg
2B46656A-5C43-421D-B4F9-A94FA43C8BC0 (resized).jpeg
D8C7712D-2039-40CE-AB62-3DD48D3D1988 (resized).jpeg
50661386_1077904665724439_1220436401930108928_n (resized).jpg
B5EE1ECE-9803-4A1C-A9F5-12612EEE7D76 (resized).png
F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png
Z8QWR8.gif

There are 4231 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 85.
#151 3 years ago

Kiss is a killer game and well the code as is; just not good needs a lot of love and the mballs are very boring

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

What is pathetic:
is when publients new code for already complete Pinball
it is when they are advertising to sell new pinball machines and new accessories (valentine 10%)
It's sad

shove it up your ass stern. btw wouldnt buy a ghostbusters if i had 100 million to throw away thats how angry i am. i havent sold my kiss because i dont want to take the loss and after 8 months i guess ill stick it out. i was actually thinking of selling my centaur to make a spot for my walking dead that a friend of mine repaired for me. might just fold up the kiss and put it away till the code comes. with no timeline or any details on new code its probably the route ill take.

image_(resized).jpg

#153 3 years ago

On the one hand you tell Stern to shove it and then you give them a big old juicy plug above???

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

On the one hand you tell Stern to shove it and then you give them a big old juicy plug above???

That's how the trick works....

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

CMON MAN ITS NOT A PLUG ITS JUST HOW FRIGGIN STUPID TO OFFER 10 PERCENT ON THEIR SHIT THEY ARE SELLING FANBOYS

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

CMON MAN ITS NOT A PLUG ITS JUST HOW FRIGGIN STUPID TO OFFER 10 PERCENT ON THEIR SHIT THEY ARE SELLING FANBOYS

A lot of stores offer discounts during various holidays in order to try to boost sales.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

Nothing says "I love you" for Valentine's Day like a big kiss.

Especially at 10% off.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

A lot of stores offer discounts during various holidays in order to try to boost sales.

If they want to boost their sales, they should finish their codes instead of selling their crap at high prices

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

If they want to boost their sales, they should finish their codes instead of selling their crap at high prices

Hahaha.

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. Keep calm and play on

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I agree with both statements.

If you buy NIB on a new release you better be ready to endure the mood swings of code updates. Unless you are a newbie and you didn't know what you were getting yourself into. Does it make it right....No. Should Stern try to improve...yes is it the way it is for now....YES

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Stern...here's a ridiculously crazy idea...if you can't release updated code for every machine in production within a 4 month time frame...HIRE MORE PEOPLE TO WRITE CODE. It's not rocket science...the lead programmer should pretty much know what he wants to accomplish with the overall code, who should be able to disseminate that information to a team of programmers. If that team is overwhelmed with any particular project...HIRE MORE PEOPLE TO WRITE CODE!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Throwing more people into the mix to write code doesn't always work well or get a software project done faster.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks%E2%80%99_law

My first thought is that just because someone wrote it, doesn't make it true. Secondly, the paper you cited actually states within the article itself that this principle most generally would apply to projects that are already late or behind schedule. Simple solution...HIRE MORE PEOPLE TO WRITE CODE at the beginning of the project and don't wait until it becomes well overdue for an update.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

True, no one is being forced, and Stern can crap on customers all they want - it's a free country

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Throwing more people into the mix to write code doesn't always work well or get a software project done faster

Agreed. Having spent more than 15 years in IT and managing projects with home grown code - it's better to have consistent resources on the project than a ton of resources. The issue with multiple/different resources is different people have different styles - which results in bad code.

With Stern, they truly need to hire some additional people to write code as they obviously don't have enough resources to complete the code for their machines. The KISS code is beta at best and embarrassing for such a well known brand and supposedly the number one pinball manufacture in the world.

I can say this has ruined my experience with Stern and I will never buy a NIB again until I know the code is finished.

#165 3 years ago

Indeed, nobody pushes me to buy.
But with a reaction like yours, it only encourages stern in their method.
When I buy a pinball machine, this is the benefit to stern, work for employees, and should be fun for me (and not frustration).
Stern Pinball codes are the same little ready for years.
Stern did not innovate for years (no lcd,,,,,).
Their excuses for delays are unjustified.
In the end, there is not much difference between JJP and stern.
3 years for a pinball machine with jjp but 2 years for a pinball machine with complete code in stern.
I wwe the home and it's been months that I do not play.

#166 3 years ago

Should be the biggest code update imaginable when it comes out they have been working on it for a half a year now and the game is no where near done

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Should be the biggest code update imaginable when it comes out they have been working on it for a half a year now and the game is no where near done

The update of the century

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Haha. We know Lonnie polished Avengers. We have no idea how long anyone has been working on KISS. All we get is an update is coming. May will be 9 months since anything substantial.

#169 3 years ago

You would think that since STERN can't really build anything at the moment, programming would be the top priority.

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

You would think that since STERN can't really build anything at the moment, programming would be the top priority.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the programmers don't build the games.

#171 3 years ago

In your opinion
this week, Stern will publish the code kiss, wwe code, or nothing?

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

In your opinion
this week, Stern will publish the code kiss, wwe code, or nothing?

They are more likely to announce the next game this week than a code update. Both games are in the works though so hopefully all of the owners get a big update soon.

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the programmers don't build the games.

You do that all by yourself? Really?

Where did I say that the programmers build the games? Shifting focus to programming means a shift in priority.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

You do that all by yourself? Really?
Where did I say that the programmers build the games? Shifting focus to programming means a shift in priority.

That literally makes no sense considering one has nothing to do with the other.

#175 3 years ago

Come on STERN ! Bring it on as the wait is ridiculous ! .... What happens if we all bombard their Facebook page ?

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Come on STERN ! Bring it on as the wait is ridiculous ! .... What happens if we all bombard their Facebook page ?

Jared would delete all our comments

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Jared would delete all our comments

Really? Even if we just ask? ....Shall we?

#178 3 years ago

I think if the pin wasn't being worked on it might do something
But they apparently are, and also fixing WWE.....so whats it going to do? Make them work harder?

No point

#179 3 years ago

Kiss code is coming

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Kiss code is coming

So is Christmas.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Kiss code is coming

I had heard Winter was coming, but for some it is already here.

Brad

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That literally makes no sense considering one has nothing to do with the other.

It is very obvious that some of you have ZERO manufacturing/management experience.

My bad, I guess should have explained better.

I should have better pointed out that since the production lines are down/producing very little, MANAGEMENT could/should shift their focus to push the programmers to get these code updates out. Since they can't push games out the door, how about pushing some code?

So yes, production and programming are all part of the manufacturing process.

Are you really making the stance that because the production lines are down, the higher ups at STERN are not able to shift the focus to getting code out because production and programming have nothing to do with each other? So no one can go into programming and say, guys, our production lines are at real low levels right now, we need to see codes for our games that are already produced get released. What can we do, where are we at , what do we need, what can we release NOW? How can we speed up the process?

That's like saying a restaurant manager cannot tell the waitstaff we are low on the chicken special so push the beef because cows and chickens have nothing to do with each other.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

That's like saying a restaurant manager cannot tell the waitstaff we are low on the chicken special so push the beef because cows and chickens have nothing to do with each other.

This makes no sense. If you make this argument you are saying

"Guys we are out of Stern code (chicken)...so to speed things up we should replace it with JJP code (beef)." Stern as their code and there is nothing that can replace that code on a whim.

Quoted from vdojaq:

I should have better pointed out that since the production lines are down/producing very little, MANAGEMENT could/should shift their focus to push the programmers to get these code updates out. Since they can't push games out the door, how about pushing some code?'

Who would you suggest that Management shift focus to push programmers?

Line workers cannot code. While I'm sure the opposite could be somewhat true, if the line was behind that coders could pick up tools and help out. Picking up a screwdriver and screw on some things is pretty easy but to ask a line worker to create a function that loops through the scoring and changes X value with Y value IF only ABC statements are true and that D variable is active is a different beast altogether.

While I do believe Stern should hire more staff to code their games this problem will keep happening until people stop buying games as soon as they are released and demand that code be 80% + done when the game comes out. Short of that the Stern building machine will keep chugging along like it always has.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

It is very obvious that some of you have ZERO manufacturing/management experience.
My bad, I guess should have explained better.
I should have better pointed out that since the production lines are down/producing very little, MANAGEMENT could/should shift their focus to push the programmers to get these code updates out. Since they can't push games out the door, how about pushing some code?
So yes, production and programming are all part of the manufacturing process.
Are you really making the stance that because the production lines are down, the higher ups at STERN are not able to shift the focus to getting code out because production and programming have nothing to do with each other? So no one can go into programming and say, guys, our production lines are at real low levels right now, we need to see codes for our games that are already produced get released. What can we do, where are we at , what do we need, what can we release NOW? How can we speed up the process?

None of this makes any sense. Stern has a coding department that does nothing else but design code. Stern is obviously trying to get code out faster and fix some of the older games that had issues so they are focusing on code. If they pumped out the code with a bunch of bugs people would be pissed that they rushed it out. It's not like you can move other people off the line that you say is down (which it's not) and have them code games. Management could walk in and say work longer hours or set deadlines but that might bring us right back to code being released with a bunch of bugs. First thought is to hirer more coders but then you are assuming larger teams can work cohesively and with the same vision which is something programmers don't have a great history of being able to do.

What makes you say that the lines are down? Lots of GOT premiums and Mets just rolled off.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

What makes you say that the lines are down? Lots of GOT premiums and Mets just rolled off.

Production line has had some issues but no one can say what for sure. I've been waiting for my TWD Pro NIB for the past 3 weeks and will only get an update about expected arrival this week.

#186 3 years ago

I am very sorry that common sense is confusing.

Again, where did I ever say pull people off of production and put them in programming? You can't! Why does anyone keep beating that horse??

But Stern , as a company, can certainly figure out how to get updates/code out in a faster manner. That was my whole point!!!

Hey Stern, your production is down( or should a say lower than normal?), how about figuring out ways to get code out faster?

It was nothing more, and nothing less!!!

But, some people have to expand their chest and pull out, well production and programming have nothing to do with each other!! Hey, no shit!!!

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

None of this makes any sense. Stern has a coding department that does nothing else but design code. Stern is obviously trying to get code out faster and fix some of the older games that had issues so they are focusing on code. If they pumped out the code with a bunch of bugs people would be pissed that they rushed it out. It's not like you can move other people off the line that you say is down (which it's not) and have them code games. Management could walk in and say work longer hours or set deadlines but that might bring us right back to code being released with a bunch of bugs. First thought is to higher more coders but then you are assuming larger teams can work cohesively and with the same vision which is something programmers don't have a great history of being able to do.

There you go! You figured it out! Stern, you need more programmers!!!

Lines are not actually down(stopped), production is just down/lower than normal because of parts issues(SMVE, & GB)

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I am very sorry that common sense is confusing.

To you, clearly!

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

This makes no sense. If you make this argument you are saying
"Guys we are out of Stern code (chicken)...so to speed things up we should replace it with JJP code (beef)." Stern as their code and there is nothing that can replace that code on a whim.

Who would you suggest that Management shift focus to push programmers?
Line workers cannot code. While I'm sure the opposite could be somewhat true, if the line was behind that coders could pick up tools and help out. Picking up a screwdriver and screw on some things is pretty easy but to ask a line worker to create a function that loops through the scoring and changes X value with Y value IF only ABC statements are true and that D variable is active is a different beast altogether.
While I do believe Stern should hire more staff to code their games this problem will keep happening until people stop buying games as soon as they are released and demand that code be 80% + done when the game comes out. Short of that the Stern building machine will keep chugging along like it always has.

Again, where did I ever say put the line workers in programming???

Where should management shift the focus? As everyone agrees, HIRE more programmers!!! Don't put out games with features that do not work!!! Have these games 90% coded when released, then fix the bugs and offer updates.

We buy with our desires and not our heads, that's is why this routine is acceptable with Stern and we all bitch! Until the desire for a NIB machine becomes secondary, nothing is going to change.

However, as a company that produces a product(Stern), you would think they would pride themselves on offering a finished product.

That would be like FORD building cars with side view camera technology , but you can't use it because it hasn't been programmed yet! FORD would never do that! Can't say the same for Stern!

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

your production is down( or should a say lower than normal?), how about figuring out ways to get code out faster?

The fact that production is down (whether it is or isn't) has no bearing whatsoever as to the ability to figure out how to get code faster.
There was no need to bring that into the argument.

Hey, it's February - do you want a sandwich?

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Obviously the answer is yes, makes no matter what month it is

#192 3 years ago

Anybody looking for a new kiss topper 320 shipped comes with a yellow light defuseer just pm me

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

To you, clearly!

Hang on, I need to signal the almighty down vote!

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Anybody looking for a new kiss topper 320 shipped comes with a yellow light defuseer just pm me

Now look what we all made this guy do ! Offer a great deal!

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Obviously the answer is yes, makes no matter what month it is

As long as there is some new code between the salami and the cheese!

#196 3 years ago

So there is a show in Las Vegas in 4 weeks. Maybe they drop the KISS code and announce GB to get some buzz there. That's my guess. Not sure of the next benchmark after that. Maybe Easter the following week..

#197 3 years ago

Stern has already posted their "Kiss My Ass" code.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

The fact that production is down (whether it is or isn't) has no bearing whatsoever as to the ability to figure out how to get code faster.
There was no need to bring that into the argument.

Your 100% correct, has ZERO bearing on ABILITY. The ability to figure out the programming issues has always been there. How about focusing on that said ABILITY?

Does it make more sense to anyone if I put it in this scenario?

Gary Stern orders his management team into into his office and says "Guys, our line production is down(quantity, not shut down) due to supplier issues that are out of our control. Since some of you(his management team) have some extra time, I would like us to concentrate on figuring out what we need to get our programming department the ability to get game code more complete and out faster."

It happens every day in business and manufacturing. If you are slower on one end, you figure how to get more productive on the other!

That my friends is COMMON SENSE.

Here is my original quote:
"You would think that since STERN can't really build anything at the moment, programming would be the top priority." That pretty much sums up the above scenario.

No way am I implying Stern works on common sense!

#199 3 years ago

I'm sorry for u guys man ! It Jsut stinks. My guess is that people purchase a product and know that it's not complete but expect that it moves forward at a reasible pace and time frame . Of course that time varies based on the person. To me it seems a bit long and would greatly effect my next purchase. Good luck guys

#200 3 years ago

Vdojak- you don't get it. Telling programmers "work faster" isn't the answer. The problem is resource management from the inception of a title. Unfortunately Stern often starts programming very late in the design phase, and it's just not enough time. To create something creative, people need enough time. They didn't have enough time on Kiss and they're still working. It will be done when it's done. Brandishing the whip accomplishes nothing...in fact sometimes it slows people down because it stresses them out or pisses them off. I work with artists on tight deadlines...sometimes due to the nature of the project, the deadline is unreasonable. I can yell "faster faster" till my eyeballs pop out - but that won't change the reality of "a man can only do so much".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
New Albany, IN
$ 6,999.00
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 4231 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside